Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After mulling it over for awhile I decided to look for a 2014 with a VIN at 38,000 or higher to get a somewhat newer build, rather than go for one of the cheapest cars. (I also kicked around the idea of leasing a new 70D, but after spending more than $30k over three years I'd end up with no car.) I'd been watching the car I bought for several weeks hoping that it would come down in price but I really wanted to get moving on it before my spring travel season starts in late March. So, I pulled the trigger yesterday.

I picked up one of the "overpriced" S60s mentioned by several others upthread — albeit with very low miles — after comparing it to a more expensive (+$8500) but slightly newer S85 with higher miles. I'd have to pay a $1500 transport fee for either car, so that wasn't a consideration. Since the car hasn't been registered in Colorado it will be eligible for our $6000 tax credit.

Getting the S60 will mean somewhat longer Supercharging times, but otherwise range won't be an issue on the routes I plan to drive. And I live in "Supercharger heaven", with six Supercharger stations* within Tesla range of my house in the mountains.

Because of the low miles I assume that the car won't have had a DU replacement, so I expect that I will face that someday. And it will be a major nuisance with the nearest Service Center 330 miles away, but I'll manage.

* Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Green River, Moab, Blanding, Farmington.

Last edited:
I loved my 60, but the range anxiety got to me and I traded up to a P85.
I've been driving a LEAF for 4+ years without range anxiety. Being an expert hypermiler and comfortable with energy units I don't anticipate problems. I expect that using rated miles as an energy proxy or Wh/mile consumption versus miles traveled/remaining will be pretty straightforward for me. The longest leg I face on any long trip is 147 miles with relatively little elevation change by Colorado standards (Tremonton, UT to Twin Falls, ID). It isn't a route that I do in winter.

I'm also perfectly happy to drive 65 in the right lane if needed, as opposed to going 80-85, as seems so popular among performance-oriented Tesla drivers. It is a different mindset; I just listen to audio books and chill.

After mulling it over for awhile I decided to look for a 2014 with a VIN at 38,000 or higher to get a somewhat newer build, rather than go for one of the cheapest cars. (I also kicked around the idea of leasing a new 70D, but after spending more than $30k over three years I'd end up with no car.) I'd been watching the car I bought for several weeks hoping that it would come down in price but I really wanted to get moving on it before my spring travel season starts in late March. So, I pulled the trigger yesterday.
Congrats on the new purchase. After driving the LEAF for that long you are really going to enjoy the Tesla, I am sure.

What are the details on the Tesla?

I've been driving a LEAF for 4+ years without range anxiety. Being an expert hypermiler and comfortable with energy units I don't anticipate problems. I expect that using rated miles as an energy proxy or Wh/mile consumption versus miles traveled/remaining will be pretty straightforward for me. The longest leg I face on any long trip is 147 miles with relatively little elevation change by Colorado standards (Tremonton, UT to Twin Falls, ID). It isn't a route that I do in winter.

I'm also perfectly happy to drive 65 in the right lane if needed, as opposed to going 80-85, as seems so popular among performance-oriented Tesla drivers. It is a different mindset; I just listen to audio books and chill.

You will be able drive at the speed limit again, I do now.

Last edited:
Very happy for you! I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your new ride. :)

For now, I'll be keeping myself content by reading of everyone's Tesla experiences here. My wife's preference is do a bit of long-postponed remodeling before we buy an expensive car. Since we pay cash for everything, this means waiting a bit longer (months, not years, thankfully).

Congrats on the new purchase. After driving the LEAF for that long you are really going to enjoy the Tesla, I am sure.

What are the details on the Tesla?
I really like driving the LEAF and it may well be more comfortable than the S, although that remains to be seen. I am looking forward to being able to take longer range trips, especially to Moab (about 145 miles) which I often do as a day trip or one-nighter. The back roads I use to get there are lovely and only used by a handful of locals.

I will really miss the heated steering wheel in the LEAF; I rarely use the heater here in sunny Colorado, even when it is 10 degrees F, so that isn't an issue for trips under an hour. I'm a thin-blooded Hawaiian so I dress warmly in winter but after three decades here I'm used to the snow and cold.

The S60 I am buying is basically the same "stripper" I would have ordered new (except that I would have liked a D for getting up my long steep driveway in winter; I'll get some cable chains for this car). It is white, has only 6000 miles on it and looks pretty new from the pictures. The idea was that even after a couple of years of driving it the car would still have some trade-in value, should I want to get a Model 3. Or I could keep it if I was happy with it. Not looking forward to driving a huge "land yacht" though. I do hope that I can fit my mountain bike in it without too much difficulty (I am tall so my bike is fairly large). So I am pleased that the S is a "liftback".

I have solar panels so I pay nothing for electricity (I've built up a 900 kWh credit over the years, so the extra electricity needed for the S, versus the more efficient LEAF, is covered). There are also Level 2 public charge stations at two of my main local destination cities. I use them so that people can see them getting used; EVs are still rare out here in the boondocks. [My grocery shopping trips are typically 70 miles round trip with 2500 feet of elevation change: it isn't suburbia. And all of my local driving involves steep hills, curvy mountain roads and significant elevation changes.]

And I am really looking forward to getting rid of my ICEV and going to just one car, a BEV, at long last.

- - - Updated - - -

Very happy for you! I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your new ride. :)

For now, I'll be keeping myself content by reading of everyone's Tesla experiences here. My wife's preference is do a bit of long-postponed remodeling before we buy an expensive car. Since we pay cash for everything, this means waiting a bit longer (months, not years, thankfully).
Yes, family concerns need to come first. I had some reasons for making the move now rather than waiting for the 3.

Should be fun driving the S from Ouray over Red Mountain Pass, as you can well imagine!

Last edited:
Curious to what everyone's thoughts are on how best to spend $55k CPO all NON AP:
choice A: 60 battery, fully loaded with options, higher vin>40k, low miles <10k
choice B: 85 battery, few options, higher vin>40k, med miles >25k
choice C: 85P battery, stripped, low vin <5k, higher miles >40k
i live on the Ca coast with Superchargere in every direction (except the ocean) within 45 miles and never more than 100 miles away from 95% of my distance driving.

Always P even is it's a 2012 VIN under 500? Just trying to gauge evaluate the value of performance over, built quality, mileage aka wear and tear, versus features and range.

With the choices you gave yes. If it's a CPO Tesla is going to update the lower VIN somewhat. 60 are a blast to drive but, for me anyway, the range anxiety drove me nuts. The miles seemed to go down way to fast. And for me, an basic 85 is a no go.

I did search your price and there is a nice looking P85+, which gives you the power and the better suspension, might want to consider that.

85 kWh Performance Model S P18906 | Tesla Motors

Curious to what everyone's thoughts are on how best to spend $55k CPO all NON AP:
i live on the Ca coast with Superchargere in every direction (except the ocean) within 45 miles and never more than 100 miles away from 95% of my distance driving.

i just made this same decision a couple weeks ago and went with option C. I was originally going to go with option B but decided that the P was worth the $5k premium. For mid 50's you will get a lower vin build but it doesn't have to be a stripper you just have to be patient :). On the VIN, I just finished driving a loaner for a week that was identical to my car except it was a year newer ~35k VIN. I honestly saw very little difference between the cars and was not at all disappointed in the direction I went. Good luck with the search!

Thanks for the comments. I know you've had several S's so it's valuable. Funny, I'm literally in Manhattan right now on a business trip so this NY car has me thinking about the salt truck I saw dumping a ton of salt on Park Ave. gotta' be rough on any car. Walking back to my hotel tonight I passed a hotel "Roger Smith". The hotel has their own P85+ for chauffeuring their guests around right out front. How ridiculous is that purchase? A + with 21" to take someone to Times Square, Empire State, Central Park etc. someone uniformed basically checked every box possible when making the purchase for the hotel. A 60 would have been better for such things.
the link you provided is a sweet P85+. I'll be calling USAA to better understand how my rates will change depending on what I ultimately decide on.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you everyone, sitting back and reading your comments. Helpful!

I did C, but fully loaded and somewhat more than $55k. You will have a tough time finding a P85 without a lot of options, since the original P85 buyers were not skimping on the rest of the car.

I'd go with A or B depending on color preference and options preferences and what A and B have.

Range isn't an issue for me and doesn't sound like it will be for you.

I'd specifically call Tesla and ask if any of your A or B options have the AP hardware and can have AP enabled. That alone would make me choose that car over one that didn't have that option.

Personally I'm avoiding cars that don't have that hardware though I could live without the software activated until sometime later, just so long as I have the software when I want to use it (given a couple hours or days, however long it takes to purchase the software upgrade).

I went with option c. at $61k I was able to get a fully loaded p85. if you have to stay below $55k an older and or higher mileage option should be doable. you may have to wait a bit for the right car but you will be able to get something. best of luck.