Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to note that the first the five cheapest CPOs available were all one less expensive then they are now. P28465 says it was once 42,5 and was listed on 9/29. I watch the additions daily and I do not remember seeing it at 42k and for that matter can't understand what now suddenly makes it 2k more expensive...

Just musing... interesting to watch it- I watch it like a stock market. :D

I read an interesting story that Online travel search engines (kayak and Orbitz) plant cookies to watch your shopping habits. If you keep checking the price, same date, same destination then they start to increase the price and show things like "just 2 seats left at this price". They know you need the flight and the constant checking indicates your desperation. If Tesla started doing that on the CPO site, based on my OCD shopping habits, then Silver/Pearl White p85's would be showing a price of $250K. All joking aside. WTF is the thinking behind the price increases on CPO cars that are being used as loaners. I watch the mileage go up and the prices too. Where's the logic besides driving people to buying new or inventory.

With respect to the CPO prices going up and down, one has to assume that there is a constant stream of new buyers entering the market looking at CPOs, who have not seen any of the previous lower pricing, so to them, it's just "the price."

And Tesla might be experimenting with price elasticity to gauge how demand increases or decreases with specific changes in price. With nearly 500 CPOs car in inventory, it makes it possible to do this kind of experimenting to maximize pricing (profit) without sacrificing demand.

As a side story, my cousin is a musician who writes and performs songs for kids. She's really good at it and has a couple of CDs released. She does kids birthday parties, but she absolutely HATES doing them, but there was a lot of 'word of mouth' for her in the community. So in order to do less parties, she doubled her price, thinking 'nobody is going to pay me double'.... guess what? The demand for her WENT UP. So she tripled the price, and still, people were requesting her. I think the last step was 4x her original fee, and still had plenty of demand, so at that point, no matter how much she hates it, she'd doing it because the money in it is so good, she really can't turn it down.

So the same sort of thing might be at work here -- some CPO buyers (of course not all, or even most buyers) might be insensitive to the actual price, but still want to buy used. Perhaps Tesla is trying to capture these buyers and squeak out a little more profit, so seeing cycles of increasing and then decreasing prices is a methodology to do that.

With respect to the CPO prices going up and down, one has to assume that there is a constant stream of new buyers entering the market looking at CPOs, who have not seen any of the previous lower pricing, so to them, it's just "the price."

And Tesla might be experimenting with price elasticity to gauge how demand increases or decreases with specific changes in price. With nearly 500 CPOs car in inventory, it makes it possible to do this kind of experimenting to maximize pricing (profit) without sacrificing demand.

As a side story, my cousin is a musician who writes and performs songs for kids. She's really good at it and has a couple of CDs released. She does kids birthday parties, but she absolutely HATES doing them, but there was a lot of 'word of mouth' for her in the community. So in order to do less parties, she doubled her price, thinking 'nobody is going to pay me double'.... guess what? The demand for her WENT UP. So she tripled the price, and still, people were requesting her. I think the last step was 4x her original fee, and still had plenty of demand, so at that point, no matter how much she hates it, she'd doing it because the money in it is so good, she really can't turn it down.

So the same sort of thing might be at work here -- some CPO buyers (of course not all, or even most buyers) might be insensitive to the actual price, but still want to buy used. Perhaps Tesla is trying to capture these buyers and squeak out a little more profit, so seeing cycles of increasing and then decreasing prices is a methodology to do that.

A demand mold was broken in the music industry with the Eagles selling one of the first tickets over $100 more than a decade ago. Since then, even lower-name bands have broken the $100 barrier. Barbara Streisand tix over $700 was typical of recent pricing. And companies like Ticketmaster take a percentage of the face value for their convenience charge. Sell the picks and shovels to the gold miners.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I've just started watching the CPO's. Where are the original listing date and original price displayed?
TIA!
By original listing price, do you mean original price when the car was first offered for sale as new or when it was first offered for sale as a CPO?

If you are on TeslaInventory.com, the price column is always displayed. The import date is displayed if you log in. Once logged in, you can also view the price and odometer history by clicking the icon to the right of the Price Change column.

teslainventory.png

Reactions: doofenshmirtz
By original listing price, do you mean original price when the car was first offered for sale as new or when it was first offered for sale as a CPO?

If you are on TeslaInventory.com, the price column is always displayed. The import date is displayed if you log in. Once logged in, you can also view the price and odometer history by clicking the icon to the right of the Price Change column.

View attachment 198624

Thank you! I was not aware of this site.

Finally, it is time to pick up my belated Tesla. I have a quick question about financing. When i talked to Alliant Credit Union back in the summer they told me their rate was 2.24% for 60 months on CPO Tesla. Today, they told me their best rate is 2.74%. Does anyone here know any better deal for 60 months CPO Tesla? Thanks in advance.

Finally, it is time to pick up my belated Tesla. I have a quick question about financing. When i talked to Alliant Credit Union back in the summer they told me their rate was 2.24% for 60 months on CPO Tesla. Today, they told me their best rate is 2.74%. Does anyone here know any better deal for 60 months CPO Tesla? Thanks in advance.

Check with your local credit unions. I got 2.15% for 72.

So...... am I the only one here rubbing my hands together and laughing maniacally at the prospect of cheaper "classic" non-AP CPOs due to the AP 2.0 announcement?

I'm thinking another December CPO sale is coming!
I'm not a betting man but I would bet against your prediction.
Those cars don't have autopilot so what does it matter if autopilot 2.0 came out?
Only cars taking a hit are 1.0 AP cars, and even then not a significant hit, the software is not there, not even close!

So...... am I the only one here rubbing my hands together and laughing maniacally at the prospect of cheaper "classic" non-AP CPOs due to the AP 2.0 announcement?

I'm thinking another December CPO sale is coming!
I'm betting we'll see a bunch of CPOs (with and without Autopilot) and inventory models with the first generation Autopilot being listed soon. For those who don't need the latest and greatest, this could be a very good quarter to buy. :)

I'm betting we'll see a bunch of CPOs (with and without Autopilot) and inventory models with the first generation Autopilot being listed soon. For those who don't need the latest and greatest, this could be a very good quarter to buy. :)

I bet we will start to see more APv1 equipped CPOs pretty soon in the US. Reason : lately there is an unwritten rule that CPO must be at least two years old in the US and Autopilot v1 equipped cars were introduced exactly two years ago. Don't expect a drop in price however. Accounting wise, it is better for Tesla to stockpile CPOs than to price them to sell...

I'm not a betting man but I would bet against your prediction.
Those cars don't have autopilot so what does it matter if autopilot 2.0 came out?
Only cars taking a hit are 1.0 AP cars, and even then not a significant hit, the software is not there, not even close!

Well, I was thinking there might be a bunch of non-AP owners who decide to trade in and buy now that the new hardware is finally here. It seemed like Tesla was moving most of the loaner fleet to AP 1 cars, and just selling off the non-AP cars, so that MIGHT equal a surge in volume on the CPO site.

But in the end, Teslas CPO pricing strategy makes zero sense (look at all the classic 60s priced higher than 85s), so who knows.

Reactions: AMPd
I bet we will start to see more APv1 equipped CPOs pretty soon in the US. Reason : lately there is an unwritten rule that CPO must be at least two years old in the US and Autopilot v1 equipped cars were introduced exactly two years ago. Don't expect a drop in price however. Accounting wise, it is better for Tesla to stockpile CPOs than to price them to sell...
How is stockpiling better accounting wise? They need the cash much more than a stockpile of used inventory. And that is not to mention the carrying cost of that expensive inventory.

Don't forget that every CPO was part of a transaction for a new sale. They had to give up some dollars to bring back that trade in. They will gladly get those dollars back when the CPO is sold. What I don't know is whether they make more on a wholesale sale or CPO sale. I guess it varies based on the car.

I too am counting on a flood of 3-year-old inventory entering CPO after Tesla's best quarter ever.