Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen any guidance from Tesla on how to clean the interior of the car to disinfect any possible COVID-19 deposits? Though I'd think that would be a good thing in general, I'm asking in the (seemingly never ending) runup to a CPO purchase, when I'd want to thoroughly cleanse the car to guard against COVID-19. Thanks!

Sunlight and heat are your friend, if you are in a warm environment, leave it in the sun for 48 hours.

If not, soap and water. The virus is a lipid bilayer encased RNA virus. The lipid bilayer cannot survive soap.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
So, as I've posted elsewhere on TMC (apologies if you've seen this before), last Friday I put my money down on a red 2016 (facelift) 75D with FSD and free supercharging, currently in Illinois (I'm in the DC area). I don't need to tell you that the wait is distracting (even though it's been only a few days), and I got word today that the estimated arrival at Baltimore (before prep) is just 5-7 days away. FWIW, this has been a four-year wait: I put my $1K down for a Model 3 back in April 2016 and backed out when the entry level model proved...elusive.

On the car, she's pretty: black/figured ash wood interior, subzero, premium, sunroof, less than 17,500 miles and looks very clean inside and out. There were surely midnight silver metallics that were also beautiful, cost less, and would have been great. But I didn't want two gray cars in our driveway (the other is a Highlander), and the red kept...calling me. FSD seemed like a freebie at the price, though I like the idea of being able to join the FSD "adventure" without debating a $7K or $8K layout. Ditto on the supercharging, a nice bonus, and we'll find good ways to put it to use. (I've been looking for months, and my desired interior/exterior color choice combo has been hard to find under the "finance committee" approved monthly payment; then this one showed up).

A few things to share back with the group:
  • first, I learned only by speaking (as opposed to e-mailing) with a Tesla rep that the flat $2000 shipping fee I'd been informed about a few months ago had "just" been changed to one that was dynamic, depending on miles from the current location to the destination Tesla location close to your home address. In my case, that changed my price calculation by $1,500.
  • second, I also learned that if at delivery I refuse the car, I'm only out my $100 deposit, rather than that PLUS the transportation fee (which was also different from what I'd been told a few months before).
  • finally, Tesla financing for me was surprisingly competitive for 72 months; beat my credit union by a fair amount (would have been different if I could have afforded 63 months, but I cannot).
Thanks for everyone's support, I'm sure I'll have questions!

Todd

OK, the countdown begins... And, I hope to get your input on a few last things.

I was pleasantly surprised on Tuesday to get a text message on my phone saying that the Tesla (2016 75D) had arrived in MD, and I should plan to pick it up on Thursday (tomorrow) at 11AM! Ack! Not possible! Both registrants at work! Fortunately, I was able to reschedule for Saturday morning.

1) Due Bill: What kinds of things are likely to qualify as reasonable items to include on a due bill? (this is a new concept for me)
2) Check lists: I plan to use the list at tesla checklists.com and the Model S Checklist Excel list here. Any other advice?
3) 100% charge at delivery: I'd read that this is something to request, presumably to verify the max mileage. Sound about right?
4) Charging: We're probably going to trickle charge until we get estimates for installing a ChargePoint Home Flex, but the Tesla-supplied mobile connector won't be quite long enough. Looking to get either this 12 gauge cord or this 12 gauge cord at 25ft. Advice?
5) Accessories: I know it varies by person, but anyone want to suggest a "must have on day one" accessory? I'm leaning toward installing the Abstract Ocean 9H Clear Glass Screen Protector pretty quickly, since I tend to think of such screens as expensive...
6) Baltimore/Owings Mills location: This is where I have to pick the car up, anyone familiar with it or any reps there?

Thank you all for your advice and patience! I'll stop bothering you soon.

Todd

12 gauge cords can work if they are short. A 20 amp outlet is wired with 12 gauge wire, after all. What is more of a concern is connector quality. The mobile connector has a temperature sensor so it knows if there is a poor connection at the outlet. The extension cord will have no such protection. I would leave the cord connected if at all possible, and temperature check it an hour in to the first charge. If it's past warm to the touch you have a concern.

I've never had a screen protector on a touch screen in 25 years of using such devices, and never felt a problem with it. Your call on that.

12 gauge cords can work if they are short. A 20 amp outlet is wired with 12 gauge wire, after all. What is more of a concern is connector quality.

Technically yes, but when we are talking about charging a $40,000 vehicle, why bother trying to save $30 on a cord? You have a lot more headroom with a quality built 10 gauge cable, regardless of length.

The connector issue is correct though. Don't cheap out, and keep an eye on things especially when first trying a new cable out.

The few times I may or may not have charged with the cable I linked to above, I might have lowered the amp draw from inside the car as an added precaution.

I appreciate all of the above!

On my five questions:

1) Due Bill: Spoke with someone at the Owings-Mills location who said only new cars get due bills, used cars are “take it or leave it.”
2) Check lists: I plan to use the list at tesla checklists.com and the Model S Checklist Excel list here. Any other advice? [no change]
3) 100% charge at delivery: Owings-Mills rep says they typically charge to 90%, as per usual charging recommendation, so I guess I just have to extrapolate?
4) Charging: Based on recommendations here, I’ve ordered this 10/3 25ft cable.
5) Accessories: I went ahead and ordered a screen protector (though I think my wife may have gotten me one as a gift!)
6) Baltimore/Owings Mills location: This is where I have to pick the car up, anyone familiar with it or any reps there? [no change]

FWIW, got an email today from Tesla laying out a totally touchless process. My Tesla app is supposed to unlock the car (parked outside) no earlier than my appointment time, with keys in the car. “Papers” signed electronically, down payment paid by ACH. They claim the whole process should take 5-10 minutes!

Thanks again!

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Technically yes, but when we are talking about charging a $40,000 vehicle, why bother trying to save $30 on a cord? You have a lot more headroom with a quality built 10 gauge cable, regardless of length.

The connector issue is correct though. Don't cheap out, and keep an eye on things especially when first trying a new cable out.

The few times I may or may not have charged with the cable I linked to above, I might have lowered the amp draw from inside the car as an added precaution.
I already had the 12 gauge cord on hand in the right length, so I used it. :) Either way at 25 feet it's a third of a volt difference between a 12 gauge cord and a 10 gauge at the 12 amps these cars draw. Utterly trivial. Less than four watts of heat dissipation over the length, you won't even feel the temperature rise. If you have a 12 gauge cord on hand, it's no worse an option than a 10 gauge. If buying one for the purpose, sure, go 10 gauge if you want. But more importantly figure out how to get a hardwired setup so you don't have to think about connector problems. If anything I would encourage people to think of extension cords as an evil to be avoided entirely, rather than thinking they came up with a safe option.

And this isn't speaking specifically to you, it's as much so that if anyone comes across this thread in the future they don't walk away thinking a 10 gauge extension cord or really any extension cord is safe for long term use. They are not.

And this isn't speaking specifically to you, it's as much so that if anyone comes across this thread in the future they don't walk away thinking a 10 gauge extension cord or really any extension cord is safe for long term use. They are not.

Yea, at the end of the day extension cords are not good long term charging options. They may work in a pinch, but you should try and sort out a proper hardwired charger, or at least install an 120/240v outlet close enough for the UMC cable to reach the car without using extension cables.

Reactions: KJD
Yea, at the end of the day extension cords are not good long term charging options. They may work in a pinch, but you should try and sort out a proper hardwired charger, or at least install an 120/240v outlet close enough for the UMC cable to reach the car without using extension cables.

Thanks to everyone for the above. Totally agree, full time wired charging solution is on the way. Just need an interim solution! Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: Left coast
Hello all,

It’s been a week! Hard to believe. And, it’s been a great one, got better as it went along. Still getting estimates for getting a home charger installed, will probably make that decision by the middle of this week. “Trickle” charging works, but I had to stop by a SuperCharger Friday to get enough mileage to make an airport trip and back. SuperChargers are amazing, but having the Tesla—named “Friday”—fully charged at home will be ideal.

Here are my impressions so far, thanks again for everyone's help and advice.

Todd

Great
  • As you all know, the acceleration under the pedal is unspeakably awesome. I know on the 75D it's not the fastest, but I still grip the wheel a bit harder. I find that my typical mode of driving is “self restraint,” because “indulgence” = ticket.
  • The car was nearly flawless on the exterior and interior. Tesla literally circled one ding on the front bumper. I think there may have been one parking lot ding since I got the car. But, otherwise, the exterior is awesome. And, the interior is equally good, with one minor exception: the driver’s seat has a very small puncture from something like a key. Looking back at the pre-purchase pictures, the puncture is there in the photos, but there’s no way I’d have noticed. I’m now in the market for some kind of leathersmith to help make sure it doesn’t worsen.
  • AutoPilot has been impressive. Great driving on the highway, smart lane change offerings. In the past week, I had one merge opportunity that it refused, but I don’t know how common that is. It was great in the one bumper-to-bumper traffic situation I’ve been in. I’m optimistic, overall. Floats a bit to the right when lanes merge from the right; ick.
  • Holy crap, all the automation is incredible. Door handles, seat settings, all the minutia. I haven’t even tried the voice commands. Still need to customize driver display.
  • Sunroof: I’d have been happy with the all-glass roof, but I love the opening sunroof.
  • Sentry Mode: good to know it’s there, haven’t had to “benefit” from it yet.
  • Interior overall is great. Nice leather, nice finish throughout. I need to clean some kind of greasy palm from one of the back seats. My door sill panel on the driver side came scratched, but I would have scratched it myself over time.
  • Delivery time: ordered on 15 May, was available to pick up 28 May (after shipping from IL to MD), but needed to wait until 30 May for work reasons.
Good
  • The rain-sensing automatic wipers seem decent on the front (though they sometimes run faster than makes sense), but I’ve only just noticed that there’s no wiper on the back. Not sure how that will go.
  • Center console is a mixed bag. I was happy to be able to install a favorite iPhone holder on one of the vents and neatly route the charging cable through the console and to the USB port (with appreciation to folks on TMC for helping me figure that out). But, I suspect anyone could come up with a better design overall.
  • Trunk space is great, looking forward to getting one of the solutions for lifting the back half of the parcel shelf. And, I need something to hold groceries in the trunk (I refuse to NOT go grocery shopping in this car...though I might park farther away). I also need a trunk liner. Speaking of which...
  • The car came with the Tesla all weather mats, a $245 bonus, I guess. But I’d like to get something softer for day-to-day.
  • My max range is apparently good, though I initially thought it was bad. 246 for 100% at ~18K miles on the car. I expect to be a relatively conservative driver, sub-40 miles/day during the week.
Less Good
  • MCU1 has the yellow border, must get treated
  • MCU interface was sensible and ahead of its time when first implemented, but Tesla needs to improve integration with iOS (specifically CarPlay) and (gasp) Android
  • Overhead exit handles and seat back coat hooks (I guess new models have these, and I’ll buy a set from Tesla) would seem to be sensible additions
  • Passenger seat Easy Entry should be an option.
IMG_3680.jpeg

All used 75d now shows 5.2 s, is there a way to tell if they are uncork-able?

Even those with build dates after mid 2016? Strange. Tesla must have decided they can't be bothered with uncorking anymore. It will be entirely dependent on how service center feels when you ask. I'm expecting some to help customers out and if possible, uncork it and some will just tell them to pound sand.

I'm not aware of a sure way to tell that they're uncorkable.

Maybe by the VIN, find the earliest possible VIN which was uncorked and probably all the ones following that are, but I don't think this is a sure way either. Also, don't bother with mobile techs, when I was going through this, the 3 of them whom I asked had no idea what I was talking about. Literally, one started explaining to me that I don't have a P car (no red calipers)... facepalm.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid