Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is the Subzero a "must have" for you? If it's because of the heated steering wheel, neither car will have that (introduced after Autopilot). If it's for heated driver and front passenger seats, then that is included with all cars with leather seats. If you want it for the other items in the package, then ok. Do you like tan or black more than the other? If so, that can sway the decision.

Beyond those factors, I would go with the 2013 and add in a full front XPEL instead of paint armor and can add dual chargers if you like. Just a note though on paying for the car. Some lenders (if you are using a lender) give a preferred rate for current and prior year cars -- in that scenario, the 2014 would get the preferred rate while the 2013 would not. My lender has no such difference, but some do.

Also, I believe "performance seats" mean you would have red piping. Can someone chime in on that?

In the end, a $4k premium is not unreasonable for a "year newer" car, but your are buying used and really should be getting what fits your needs and tastes best.

I agree that the Cold weather package is not really required, since it only adds heated REAR seats, and windshield heater and I think washer fluid heater -- neither of which I have, but I've read on TMC that the people who do have them say they don't work all that great. So if you're garaging your car, they are of limited usefulness. Now if you have kids who want heated rear seats (and I see you're in MN, so that makes sense) then by all means, go for it.

(I almost didn't by my inventory P85+ w/o cold weather package precisely because I didn't realize at the time that heated FRONT seats are standard on all cars.).

Also, I believe "performance seats" mean you would have red piping. Can someone chime in on that?

I believe that's true, but I think (I'm not sure) that Perf seats also have alcantara side bolsters instead of leather. Otherwise, they're the same as non-perf seats.

My husband's commute is 30 miles in the dark in Minnesota winters. He wants the heated windshield wipers and the washer fluid heater. He doesn't even like heated seats, and we don't intend to use the back seats often (we're DINKs). We've never had a heated steering wheel, so we don't care about that....in MN you do not leave the house without gloves between Nov-March anyway. I know the dual chargers are worth $2K, but we probably would not have it added to an inventory car.

We won't be financing, so that's not an issue. I'm wondering most about the little things...I don't think we get parking sensors with either, right? What other little differences are there? With updates every week (as far as we can tell) what else might make the 2014 more appealing? I didn't see anything in the wiki that seemed to be a big difference between late 2013/early 2014 cars....

Parking sensors, if available when the 2013 or 2014 was built, was an option over and above the tech package, so no guarantee they will be there either. Folding mirrors could be a difference depending on the 2013 was built. If you otherwise are undecided, I would go to a local store and have them call the store that has the car and physically look to see if parking sensors are there. Otherwise, since dual chargers don't matter to you, you are looking at $4k for a line across the hood (paint armor doesn't cover the entire good), but also a "year newer" car. Hard to say if it is worth it to you. If I was buying, I would go with the 2013 if dual chargers, folding mirrors, paint armor don't matter. But honestly, I would pay the $4k if I like on seat color more than the other.

My husband's commute is 30 miles in the dark in Minnesota winters. He wants the heated windshield wipers and the washer fluid heater.
Honestly, IMHO from years of owning an Outback in MA/NH with these features, they're pretty much pointless. I could count on one hand the number of times I've turned on the wiper parking area heaters. All else being equal, the winter package is nice to have, but I wouldn't write off a car without it.

Use good washer fluid/antifreeze and the nozzles won't freeze. Besides, without a heat-generating ICE under the front hood, you'd need to worry about the unheated pump, tank, and lines freezing, in addition to the heated nozzles.

The wipers themselves aren't heated, just the parking area at the base of the windshield (it's like the electric defroster on the rear glass). It keeps ice from forming there, but the wiper blades can still get ice on them. You'll still want winter blades to keep them from icing up and not flexing properly.

I believe there was a post that showed an updated enabled heated/cooled cup holders if you have the winter package.
That was a joke posting. They photoshopped the controls photo.

I ended up removing the subzero package from my order too.
Given that you can heat the car even in your garage (can't do that with an ICE) the real utility of subzero is not much. Also the heated windshield washer nozzles and wipers from what I've heard are ineffective.
I thought the heated steering would feel nice though, but if it was heated and cooled .. Anyway, I saved my $1000.

Thanks everyone. Seems like it really is a toss-up and the 2013 is probably a fiscally better choice. Save a few $$, save a bit on tax, and hopefully license and insurance will be a bit less, too. (This is all if the inventory car I'm watching sells before it gets a few miles on it.)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one more question....if an aftermarket stereo upgrade is added to a model S, does that void any part of the warranty? My husband seems to think it might....

Thanks everyone. Seems like it really is a toss-up and the 2013 is probably a fiscally better choice. Save a few $$, save a bit on tax, and hopefully license and insurance will be a bit less, too. (This is all if the inventory car I'm watching sells before it gets a few miles on it.)

You probably know this, but realize the Inventory car qualifies for the $7500 tax credit, whereas the CPO does not.

I ended up removing the subzero package from my order too.
Given that you can heat the car even in your garage (can't do that with an ICE) the real utility of subzero is not much. Also the heated windshield washer nozzles and wipers from what I've heard are ineffective.
I thought the heated steering would feel nice though, but if it was heated and cooled .. Anyway, I saved my $1000.

Don't forget subzero includes heated rear seats. Very nice for passengers and you can keep the cabin heat lower and gain range.

So is there a rate at which the S depreciates yet eg. $200 per month? or is there no consistent rate at the moment?

I'm not sure if the same formula applies to CPO cars, but for inventory cars it's (I believe) $1 per mile and $<insert amount> for every month it's on the road. Plus wear and tear deductions which vary by car. Again I don't know if this same math applies to CPO vehicles.

Cheapest car listed so far. This time it's in Canada. $56,900 CAD converts out to $45,850.12 USD. It's also very barebones.

Damn very tempting. it comes out to be around 23K miles. The only thing holding me back is the 60KWh battery. Not enough range for me. Weird why it would have black roof. I would think that generate heat for the car?

I'm sure this car will be picked up very quickly. Anyways the longer I wait, the cheaper the cars get and maybe I might even get the 85D by years end.