Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ I think that's just a placeholder. I put a deposit down on April 29th, and my My Tesla page said late May/early June. I took delivery on May 14th. I think the My Tesla page is not updated very much, or at all, with CPOs, since delivery mostly depends on the amount of reconditioning and shipping time.

Check out my story so far...
  • 5/22 - Put a deposit down for a 2013 Green Metallic P85 in Austin, TX to be delivered to Scottsdale, AZ
  • 5/24 - Got a notice from my Scottsdale DS that I will get delivery between 6/13 and 6/27
  • 6/9 - Check in with DS if everything is going ok. DS writes back... "... The way this works is your car is re-conditioned at the sold facility, which was Austin Texas, then transported to Scottsdale."
  • 6/14 - The wait is killing me so I send an email to inquire if my bro-in-law that lives in Austin can swing by and check out the car.
  • 6/15 @ 2:42p - I get a response that the car will be picked up for delivery between 6/16 and 6/18 but my bro-in-law can swing by to check it out from the outside only.
  • 6/15 @ 4:00p - My bro-in-law swings by only to find out the car is already gone, even though it was supposed to leave between 6/16-6/18. Oh well, I guess it'll get here in a couple days...
  • 6/16 @ 9am (today) - I randomly swing by the Scottsdale SC because to checkout a Model X in Titanium Metallic on the lot. While there I notice a Green Metallic Model S in the lot. The car is pretty dirty but at this point I've not actually seen Green Metallic up close so I go to check it out. Walking around the car I notice that it is from TX... "I'm thinking oh wow." I check out the VIN and it's the car that I've got a deposit on! UGH! It does not look like it's been touched at all. I walk in to talk to someone about the car. Get a couple of "let me try to find a manager, sorry they're in a meeting, they'll call you back". Okay I understand, it's not like I showed up with an appointment. I go outside just to take pictures and get a real close look. Ugh, there's rim rash on the 21" grey turbines, there's a 2" crack in the front right bumper, no P85 badge, etc. The basics are there but it just doesn't look CPO quality. I'd probably give it between Fair and Good on KBB. So while I'm taking pictures an assistant manager comes out and talks to me. I kind of point out what I've noticed and he's like yeah we'll take care all of this, the car hasn't been touched yet.
At this point there's not much I can do except have faith in the folks at the Scottsdale SC will get this car "reconditioned" to what I have in my head as CPO quality. I'm not expecting brand new but I'm not expecting cracks or rim scrapes. I think it'll come out fine but was a bit thrown off to randomly find nothing has been done for 3+ weeks. I'll definitely be prepared for everything I need to check for on delivery day.

Wish me luck!

I have a feeling a lot of these cars are a bit beat up before Tesla reconditions them. They all, especially those with 21s, seem to have curbed rims, but they take car of that as part of the reconditioning. I'd actually LIKE to see the car "before" as you know it is the "worst case scenario".

In addition, one thing I'm noticing is most of the CPOs folks are getting have a lot higher miles than what we say at the end of last year. yes, they are 6 months older, BUT I think putting them into the loaner fleet is skyrocketing the miles. I further think they may be "releasing" them to CPO as they hit somewhere in the 40-45K mile range (if they have no Carfax issues....Carfax cars seem to go at any time, but only through advisers).

I'm pretty sure all those old CPO cars didn't just disappear. They just trickle in as their mileage comes up. Just a thought.

Just amazed that CPO 85s are back into the $60k region so quickly after they resumed for sale. At that price I would just rather purchase a new 60kwh car with autopilot/75kwh upgrade and purchase those later after taking delivery. I remember seeing 85s at the $45k range when the "flood gates" opened a while ago.

Maybe that's the whole point...

Just amazed that CPO 85s are back into the $60k region so quickly after they resumed for sale. At that price I would just rather purchase a new 60kwh car with autopilot/75kwh upgrade and purchase those later after taking delivery. I remember seeing 85s at the $45k range when the "flood gates" opened a while ago.

Maybe that's the whole point...
Yep. New car sales are what it's all about....

Check out my story so far...
  • 5/22 - Put a deposit down for a 2013 Green Metallic P85 in Austin, TX to be delivered to Scottsdale, AZ
  • 5/24 - Got a notice from my Scottsdale DS that I will get delivery between 6/13 and 6/27
  • 6/9 - Check in with DS if everything is going ok. DS writes back... "... The way this works is your car is re-conditioned at the sold facility, which was Austin Texas, then transported to Scottsdale."
  • 6/14 - The wait is killing me so I send an email to inquire if my bro-in-law that lives in Austin can swing by and check out the car.
  • 6/15 @ 2:42p - I get a response that the car will be picked up for delivery between 6/16 and 6/18 but my bro-in-law can swing by to check it out from the outside only.
  • 6/15 @ 4:00p - My bro-in-law swings by only to find out the car is already gone, even though it was supposed to leave between 6/16-6/18. Oh well, I guess it'll get here in a couple days...
  • 6/16 @ 9am (today) - I randomly swing by the Scottsdale SC because to checkout a Model X in Titanium Metallic on the lot. While there I notice a Green Metallic Model S in the lot. The car is pretty dirty but at this point I've not actually seen Green Metallic up close so I go to check it out. Walking around the car I notice that it is from TX... "I'm thinking oh wow." I check out the VIN and it's the car that I've got a deposit on! UGH! It does not look like it's been touched at all. I walk in to talk to someone about the car. Get a couple of "let me try to find a manager, sorry they're in a meeting, they'll call you back". Okay I understand, it's not like I showed up with an appointment. I go outside just to take pictures and get a real close look. Ugh, there's rim rash on the 21" grey turbines, there's a 2" crack in the front right bumper, no P85 badge, etc. The basics are there but it just doesn't look CPO quality. I'd probably give it between Fair and Good on KBB. So while I'm taking pictures an assistant manager comes out and talks to me. I kind of point out what I've noticed and he's like yeah we'll take care all of this, the car hasn't been touched yet.

Ouch bro!.....Results not typical? Other CPO owners please chime in or should I start to panic a little? lol. I hope it's geographic and that some heads roll on the account of that lack of coordination.

Last edited:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Soooo....what a day. Having rented a Model S for the TMC conference in 2014 for 4 days of glory on the PCH, then moving to NYC and not having a car for 2 years, test driving the P85D and Model X Ludicrous, and now buying a 2014 S85 CPO - here are some of my thoughts.

1. I am now the change in which I believe: I got sucked into Tesla in March of 2013 and joined TMC in May. I have researched, cheered, invested, lived vicariously, reserved....but now, I am committed. I have read about the experiences of early adopters going by improbable handles like Btrfly8e, ohmman, Princess Bonnie, Michigan Models (Joel) and others, and now I have made the leap of faith.

2. I drove, with my son, from Chicago to Michigan, supercharged and began to introduce my family and friends to the world of Tesla. My sanity is now the insanity of the sane. There is no going back.

3. I have never owned almost any "thing" else of substance. I have my wedding ring, which was my grandfather's, given to me by my father, that is the only other "thing" of substance that I've owned.

4. The Model S is very public - I got a shout out in Chicago from folks on a trolley, "Nice ride!" When I parked it by my in-laws, neighbors parked at their house and then walked out to where my Tesla was parked and beckoned for their spouses to come over and see my car. I am now "outed" and public with what I believe. (And that is a little discomfiting).

5. As we approach Father's Day, my children know in what I believe. In Tesla, in hope, in the future...in magic.

6. Owning a Tesla is exhilarating, humbling, and odd- that feels so right. In one moment I feel validated because this is where we need to go, the next I feel angst because I have no idea how we are going to get there.

Thanks to the Highland Park, Chicago folks that shepharded me through this process. There were about 60 new Model S and Model X in the lot and delivery after delivery scheduled, and they took the time to make me feel special.

As Nina Simone would say, "It's a new dawn, a new day, it's a new life for me...and I'm feeling good"

Ouch bro!.....Results not typical? Other CPO owners please chime in or should I start to panic a little? lol. I hope it's geographic and that some heads roll on the account of that lack of coordination.

UPDATE

My DS called me this afternoon and explained to me what happened. She assured me it's all going to be taken care of, that the Austin SC just couldn't get it done so they shipped it and the Scottsdale SC will take care of it here. My primary concern is not the wait (although it sucks) but rather to get a car that is CPO-quality. I think they'll deliver a great car. Don't panic yet. :)

UPDATE

My DS called me this afternoon and explained to me what happened. She assured me it's all going to be taken care of, that the Austin SC just couldn't get it done so they shipped it and the Scottsdale SC will take care of it here. My primary concern is not the wait (although it sucks) but rather to get a car that is CPO-quality. I think they'll deliver a great car. Don't panic yet. :)

Rahul,
You should not panic at all! I was servicing my SUV a month ago and I decided to stop by to the Tesla SC in Atlanta. I saw the Signature edition CPO which was available at that time on the CPO site. It was not in a very good condition and rims had scratches. Later, TMC member purchased the car and said it is in very good condition. So, Tesla definitely taking care of all the problems before the delivery. :)

Did your CPO need any recondition or a long shipping time Boourns?

It definitely needed a few things. I never asked for a complete record of everything done to it, but I can tell that they replaced the carpet and floor mats, filled in a couple of paint chips, possibly reconditioned the wheels (they are flawless despite the car having 51k miles), and put on new tires. Probably other things, too. They missed a couple things, like the lift back rods being rusty, but overall they did a pretty good job. The car does not look like a typical 50k-mile car.

Shipping took only a few days because it came from Chicago to Dallas.

With the end of the quarter coming up, and the number of cars publicly listed dwindling I get the feeling we might see another explosion of CPO's for sale soon. Ones that are coming off the loaner program with high miles similar to what we saw in May.
When I say "soon" I mean about a month to 6 weeks from now. Right now they are probably more focused on selling new/inventory cars to make numbers.
(Which is why I delayed delivery of my CPO until after this quarter has ended.)

For those waiting and concerned on Tesla CPO quality, here's my experience (from a year and thousands of posts in this thread ago now):
CPO or Inventory Purchase Experience in Canada

TL/DR Tesla made us happy, and attended to safety, appearance and fit/finish.

My experience was less than stellar, but for the most part, Tesla Charlotte has made it right.
My CPO (and disappointments) Experience

Note that this was when the CPO program first started, so perhaps some aspects have changed.