Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when you have single-tap-Autopilot enabled, TACC-only just doesn't exist
Single tap AutoSteer incorporates TACC as part of Autopilot. The problem then is when a lane change occurs during AutoSteer, the Autosteer cancels together with TACC causing the car to automatically slows down (regen braking) as there is no pressure on accelerator. (At least that's my intepretation)

A double TAP Autosteer reverts to TACC after a lane change is forced or steering wheel is taken over by driver.

Its almost as though Elon is trying to force/encourage a migration to EAP or FSD

Single tap AutoSteer incorporates TACC as part of Autopilot. The problem then is when a lane change occurs during AutoSteer, the Autosteer cancels together with TACC causing the car to automatically slows down (regen braking) as there is no pressure on accelerator. (At least that's my intepretation)

A double TAP Autosteer reverts to TACC after a lane change is forced or steering wheel is taken over by driver.

Yes, I understand.

What I'm saying is that with single-tap-Autopilot enabled, by design the car can only be in one of two modes: either full manual control, or TACC-and-Autosteer (ignoring navigate-on-autopilot). So anything that cancels Autosteer necessarily cancels the whole shebang and puts you back in full manual control.

Reactions: RichardV and moa999
Yes, I understand.

What I'm saying is that with single-tap-Autopilot enabled, by design the car can only be in one of two modes: either full manual control, or TACC-and-Autosteer (ignoring navigate-on-autopilot). So anything that cancels Autosteer necessarily cancels the whole shebang and puts you back in full manual control.
It seems tesla are following the mercedes version of single press enabling tacc and autosteer. The difference is the mercedes version lets the driver take over steering as much as they want and whenever they want (and reverts back to lane keeping at any time) and the system will not drop out unless you brake or press cancel. Steering does not cancel it.

No idea if this is new, has the “D” always lit up in blue when on Autopilot? I only noticed it at night, I don’t do a lot of AP driving at night, especially this time of year. (apologies for the blur!)

Seems something they would introduce to align with imminent Highland arrivals and the different gear select methods.

Or… it’s been like this the entire time and I never noticed!

IMG_5286.jpeg

No idea if this is new, has the “D” always lit up in blue when on Autopilot? I only noticed it at night, I don’t do a lot of AP driving at night, especially this time of year. (apologies for the blur!)

Seems something they would introduce to align with imminent Highland arrivals and the different gear select methods.

Or… it’s been like this the entire time and I never noticed!
It's been like that for a long while - more than a year at least. I think it changed when the screen layout was rearranged to change the big autopilot icon on the side to a little autopilot icon at the top.

One thing I have noticed since updating to 2023.38.9 - Spotify music randomly, and occasionally "blips", wherein you get about a quarter second "pause" in the music. It's only happened so far on one drive that I know about - but often I tend to listen to music where this wouldn't be noticeable, so it might be happening more often than I am aware of.

Anyone else notice this?

It's been like that for a long while - more than a year at least. I think it changed when the screen layout was rearranged to change the big autopilot icon on the side to a little autopilot icon at the top.
I thought it might have been but thought I would ask! No idea why my eyes only just picked up on it!

A different thing that I know actually did change (as of the last few weeks) - when driving down streets with close obstacles on the sides - the coloured yellow/orange/red proximity bands have returned to the display! (They disappeared a few months ago)

One thing I have noticed since updating to 2023.38.9 - Spotify music randomly, and occasionally "blips", wherein you get about a quarter second "pause" in the music. It's only happened so far on one drive that I know about - but often I tend to listen to music where this wouldn't be noticeable, so it might be happening more often than I am aware of.

Anyone else notice this?
Yes, but it happens with my phone too, so may be a Spotify thing

• Informative
Reactions: Midnight Man
D has been blue for a couple of years in my S. It's been bothering me since then. Their UI designers haven't read any literature on automation HMI's and appear to be making things up as they go. Autopilot state is pictured in the same colour as the drive indicator, that makes no sense whatsoever. And the lane guidance indicators are not indicating when lane change is possible either, just a solid blue line with AS engaged, yet when AS is not engaged, the lane indicators are dashed when lane change is available (well, *would* be available if AS was engaged). I suspect this is all due to their continued refusal to accept that partial automation is the way to a happy driver, not waiting for full automation that isn't coming anytime soon.

Reactions: Yx05
Spotify in my merc eqe is substantially better than in our model s. (No faults, dropouts, skipping) So either spotify makes different versions or the manufacturers are implementing it differently.
I'm sure they do make different versions. Different operating systems, different hardware, different input controls, different screen size...

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the Spotify executives drives a merc and notices when the Spotify implementation in it sucks :)

FWIW the Model 3 / Y seems to handle it better - I haven't seen things like dropouts or skipping. Does your S have the upgraded MCU?

Had a horrible drive home on the freeway late last night since 44.1 update. Highway 110 km/h the whole way, and displayed speed limit kept changing to either 100, 90 or 70 going past off-ramps. It has never been perfect on this freeway, but never seen anything like this. To make it worse, the TACC kept changing to lower speeds and slowing the car down, despite my setting of "existing speed" rather than "speed limit" in the settings. It's never done that before on this highway. I was using NoA initially, and tried going back to basic Autosteer to see if it would improve. It didn't.

I don't know whether 44.1 had anything to do with the speed recognition, or just a dark wet night. But I hadn't seen this TACC behaviour ever before on this road.

I just got back from a quick Sydney-Canberra-Sydney trip. Speed sign recognition was worse for me than it has been previously. By that, I mean it is picking up lots more off-ramp speed signs and other non-relevant speed signs. I sensed this might have become worse after they changed the white balance and processing for the side cameras. At that time, I noticed the car was detecting the 40 signs on the backs of buses from further away. Anyway, whatever the cause, too many irrelevant signs are being picked up. Add that to the backs of buses and the truck/bus speed signs where the Tesla chooses the wrong speed limit, speed limit detection has a long, long way to go....

I'm sure they do make different versions. Different operating systems, different hardware, different input controls, different screen size...

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the Spotify executives drives a merc and notices when the Spotify implementation in it sucks :)

FWIW the Model 3 / Y seems to handle it better - I haven't seen things like dropouts or skipping. Does your S have the upgraded MCU?
No I havn’t upgraded it yet. Probably will not bother. I also tend to use tidal when on my own. Much better sound quality.