Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TM was on site yesterday at Ruby Tuesday in Brewer Maine. Arrangements are being made for Emera to bring in power. It might be a couple of months before construction is complete. Eight Supercharger spaces behind the building (out of site of the Toyota dealer across the street). This may be the first in the new partnership. TM plans for SC near Houlton and there is a RT in Presque Isle between Caribou and Houlton which could be a good choice for travelers (that’s speculation on my part), about 170 miles north of the Brewer location. The only SC in Maine is near a RT. There are also RT’s in Portland, Brunswick, and Waterville—all good locations for SC’s for flexible travelling.

Google Maps

Tesla has apparently stopped periodically providing dozens of gray "Opening Soon" pins on its supercharger map, instead only highlighting a few sites which will actually open soon. The following is a list of the superchargers which opened in the last month and upcoming superchargers TMC has heard about. Sites with a known location are shown at supercharge.info; details of all sites are at the Supercharger Progress wiki. About 15 new North American stations opened over the last month, and we should expect around 10 new openings this month.

LocationSite Known?Status
Buena Park, CA yes under construction
Crescent City, CA yes awaiting construction
Eureka, CA yes under construction
Folsom (Palladio), CA yes under construction
Fremont (Kato Road), CA yes under construction hiatus
Groveland, CA yes in planning/design
Napa, CA yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Placerville, CA no unknown
Santa Ana, CA yes in permitting
Santa Barbara, CA yes in permitting
South Lake Tahoe, CA no unknown
Augusta, GA yes operational
West Des Moines, IA yes in permitting
Idaho Falls, ID yes operational
Peru, IL yes operational
Bowling Green, KY yes operational
Alexandria, LA yes operational
Monroe, LA mostly in design / permitting
Lee, MA yes under construction
Laurel, MD yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Brewer, ME yes in design / permitting
Bay City, MI yes in permitting
Port Huron, MI yes under construction
Oakdale, MN yes under construction
Joplin, MO maybe in site negotiations
Rolla, MO yes permitting complete?
Springfield, MO yes in permitting
Meridian, MS yes in permitting
Lima, MT yes in design / permitting
Fargo, ND no searching for site
North Platte/Ogallala, NE no searching for site
Egg Harbor Township, NJ yes operational
Tonopah, NV yes operational
Plattsburgh, NY yes operational
Queensbury, NY no unknown
Southampton, NY yes operational
Watertown, NY yes operational
Catoosa, OK yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Bend, OR yes operational
Coos Bay/Bandon, OR no unknown
Lincoln City, OR yes awaiting construction
Seaside, OR yes operational
Erie, PA yes operational
Arlington, TX yes in design/permitting
Cisco, TX yes under construction
Lindale, TX yes operational
Midland, TX maybe in design/permitting
Sulphur Springs, TX yes operational
Sweetwater, TX yes under construction
Huntsville, ON no unknown
Parry Sound, ON no unknown
Magog, QC yes operational
Rivière-du-Loup, QC yes awaiting construction
Saint-Laurent, QC yes awaiting transformer & hookup

TM was on site yesterday at Ruby Tuesday in Brewer Maine. Arrangements are being made for Emera to bring in power. It might be a couple of months before construction is complete. Eight Supercharger spaces behind the building (out of site of the Toyota dealer across the street). This may be the first in the new partnership. TM plans for SC near Houlton and there is a RT in Presque Isle between Caribou and Houlton which could be a good choice for travelers (that’s speculation on my part), about 170 miles north of the Brewer location. The only SC in Maine is near a RT. There are also RT’s in Portland, Brunswick, and Waterville—all good locations for SC’s for flexible travelling.

Google Maps
That's good news. Good location to assist in trips to Bar Harbor, and maybe even on to the Maritime Provinces.

First Plattsburgh, now Queensbury, NY! The route from NYC to the North Country and Montreal is filling in nicely. Just spotted this article saying Superchargers are coming to Aviation Mall, by a Friendly's which was my favorite road trip restaurant chain as a kid:

Tesla charging stations on the way
"Four or five" charging stations sounds small for a supercharger site now. Could they be talking about HPWCs at the mall for destination charging? Or maybe they just got the numbers wrong.

How many MWh per day (or month or year) do the superchargers deliver (in CA or USA or world)?
I was just at the Fremont plant, and I think they had a public running total, but I didn't think to take a picture.

I was telling my brother that I thought most (90%?) charging by Tesla drivers was done overnight, and that while some improvements to power grids might be necessary to support Model 3, it's not like peak electricity usage is likely to go up 10% nationwide if 20% of automobiles go electric. He seemed to think a fleet of 20% EVs would spell serious trouble for our electric grid. He thinks that just while I've only pulled 100 kWh from the grid during the day over 3.5 years that I'm unique and that before EVs become mainstream, somewhere around half of the users will expect to charge during the day. I tend to think that I'm not that unique and that most people would prefer to charge their car while they sleep rather than waiting at the side of the road to charge.

So, I figure if we know Tesla supercharger kHw per day, and we can guess at the total Tesla fleet charge per day, we could actually get an estimate about how much charging is being done during daytime hours (i.e. at superchargers) and how much is done at off peak hours (i.e. anywhere other than superchargers). (I figure the supercharger kWh at off peak and the non-supercharger kWh during peak might roughly cancel).

Anyone have any data to support/refute my or my brother's arguments?

Reactions: SW2Fiddler

I don't have any specific data but I work for an electricity network company. Speaking as the company (e.g. echoing the message that senior executives gve out put out there), we are looking forward to increased uptake of EVs because the usage is predominantly overnight. This results in more energy distributed through the network, which is good for us, but also doesn't impact on peak times, which is double good for us as it doesn't require network expansion.

We are introducing time-of-use tariffs which will result in much cheaper rates after 9pm. Once you introduce an economic incentive it is obvious to EV owners to utilise the timer function to start charging after this time.

There is an episode of Fully Charged where Robert visited National Grid in the UK, they also discussed uptake of EVs as allowing them to "fill in the bathtub" (referring to the overnight dip in the demand graph).

I don't have any specific data but I work for an electricity network company. Speaking as the company (e.g. echoing the message that senior executives gve out put out there), we are looking forward to increased uptake of EVs because the usage is predominantly overnight. This results in more energy distributed through the network, which is good for us, but also doesn't impact on peak times, which is double good for us as it doesn't require network expansion.

We are introducing time-of-use tariffs which will result in much cheaper rates after 9pm. Once you introduce an economic incentive it is obvious to EV owners to utilise the timer function to start charging after this time.

There is an episode of Fully Charged where Robert visited National Grid in the UK, they also discussed uptake of EVs as allowing them to "fill in the bathtub" (referring to the overnight dip in the demand graph).

Indeed. Potentially, EVs could end up causing more residential pricing to have demand charges. But even without that, you only need to look at stats that show that stretch commutes are only 1 in 200, and most of those are at the shorter end, so there wouldn't be a statistically significant proportion of households requiring peak charging. As far as I am aware, it's just some last mile work that would be needed. In areas where it matters TOU pricing differentials are substantial enough that a household with a PEV, particularly EREV or BEV, or particularly multi-PEV, would have significant incentive to be on TOU, and even if not simply encouraging people to shift charging will help.

I think the poster's acquaintance is mixing up the renewable generation issue with EVs, rather ironically, since EVs would also help with that as well.

Last edited:
How many MWh per day (or month or year) do the superchargers deliver (in CA or USA or world)?
I was just at the Fremont plant, and I think they had a public running total, but I didn't think to take a picture.

I was telling my brother that I thought most (90%?) charging by Tesla drivers was done overnight, and that while some improvements to power grids might be necessary to support Model 3, it's not like peak electricity usage is likely to go up 10% nationwide if 20% of automobiles go electric. He seemed to think a fleet of 20% EVs would spell serious trouble for our electric grid. He thinks that just while I've only pulled 100 kWh from the grid during the day over 3.5 years that I'm unique and that before EVs become mainstream, somewhere around half of the users will expect to charge during the day. I tend to think that I'm not that unique and that most people would prefer to charge their car while they sleep rather than waiting at the side of the road to charge.

So, I figure if we know Tesla supercharger kHw per day, and we can guess at the total Tesla fleet charge per day, we could actually get an estimate about how much charging is being done during daytime hours (i.e. at superchargers) and how much is done at off peak hours (i.e. anywhere other than superchargers). (I figure the supercharger kWh at off peak and the non-supercharger kWh during peak might roughly cancel).

In related threads talking about the relative range off electric vehicles, it's often been cited that a 100 mile range is more than enough for the vast majority of driver's daily needs. So if the number averages 80 miles/day, that's something like 25KWh of energy per day. (I actually drive ~61 miles most days, consuming about 18-19KWh).

If that's even in the ballpark, then if a house pulls 100KWh a day during waking hours, then 25KWh over 8 hours at night should be a non issue...that's half the daytime load.

Indeed. Potentially, EVs could end up causing more residential pricing to have demand charges. But even without that, you only need to look at stats that show that stretch commutes are only 1 in 200, and most of those are at the shorter end, so there wouldn't be a statistically significant proportion of households requiring peak charging. As far as I am aware, it's just some last mile work that would be needed. In areas where it matters TOU pricing differentials are substantial enough that a household with a PEV, particularly EREV or BEV, or particularly multi-PEV, would have significant incentive to be on TOU, and even if not simply encouraging people to shift charging will help.

I think the poster's acquaintance is mixing up the renewable generation issue with EVs, rather ironically, since EVs would also help with that as well.

Yeah, buying a BEV for me has meant using much less power during the day. It changed me to time of use pricing which then changed my habits regarding things like running my pool filter or dishwasher.

Regardless, I'm surprised Tesla has the number of GWh delivered by superchargers in their demo room in Fremont, but doesn't seem to post it to the internet any more?

Exactly. If it becomes a problem for the grid where people are charging immediately after returning home from work, it's relatively simple fix to implement TOU or demand changes for *everyone*, not just EV owners.

With the Leaf, my current charging timers are set for Mon-Fri during the Winter (temps below ~40 F), charge to 100% finishing at ~8:00 AM. All other times, (weekends in the Winter and all the time Spring/Summer/Fall) immediately start a charge to 80%. Without demand charges (A/C running full blast in the evening in the summer) and TOU rates, I picked a charging routine that was most convenient for me. This is one that recharges the vehicle for the potential of a 2nd trip on the same day, full charge in the Winter for trips to work without letting it sit fully charged for long periods of time.

When the Model 3 arrives, even without a financial incentive from the electric company, I'll probably set the charge timer to simply charge overnight and every night to 80%, likely starting at something around 1:00 AM. With the added range of the larger battery pack, I won't need to recharge for a 2nd trip into town on the same day. My normal usage pattern would be kind to the grid by typically charging in the middle of the night. Add a little financial incentive and everyone would "fall in line". Only charging at night would be a little more problematic with the Leaf, due to the limited mileage available. I live on the outskirts of the major metro area, so most trips use 40% or more of the Leaf's battery capacity.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yeah, buying a BEV for me has meant using much less power during the day. It changed me to time of use pricing which then changed my habits regarding things like running my pool filter or dishwasher.

Regardless, I'm surprised Tesla has the number of GWh delivered by superchargers in their demo room in Fremont, but doesn't seem to post it to the internet any more?
As for not advertising the number... maybe they're embarassed that the Supercharger power isn't 100% solar yet. After all, can't you just see the hostile hit pieces? "Superchargers burn XXX tons of coal, paid for by Tesla to support freeloading drivers!" Betcha they advertise it when it is 100% solar.

As for not advertising the number... maybe they're embarassed that the Supercharger power isn't 100% solar yet. After all, can't you just see the hostile hit pieces? "Superchargers burn XXX tons of coal, paid for by Tesla to support freeloading drivers!" Betcha they advertise it when it is 100% solar.

Tesla superchargers will never be 100% solar. In sunnier regions of the world, they probably will get close, but there are places where solar is very inefficient especially in the winter. However, most of those places have good hydro power infrastructure. Politically it's difficult to expand hydro any further than it is now.

Wind will also be a factor in at least some parts of the world and there are a lot of experiments going on with using tidal power, though turbine blades in salt water don't have the greatest lifetime and even using materials that don't corrode, there is a problem with marine life building up on the blades.

With the huge overabundance of natural gas in North America right now, that is going to be part of the energy generating equation for some time to come.

As grid energy storage becomes more common (there are other things that can be done rather than just store it in batteries), power companies will shut down the least efficient power plants and store the excess during off peak times. We have plenty of generating capacity to supply a large number of EVs, we just don't have the capacity at peak times.

Absolutely smashing through them the last couple of days.. courtesy supercharge.info -

upload_2016-7-17_10-15-27.png

Reactions: scottf200