Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchasing a new S. My sales consultant told me that a Supercharger is currently under construction in Charleston WVA. I see from reviewing threads that this has been promised for years! Does anyone know if one is under construction or not?
Your sales consultant might be misinformed, but there's no way to tell without looking. Ask for the address. Let us know. Chances are somebody will go check it out, perhaps you can do so yourself. Be a hero!

It's pretty clear there's a big hole there, and Tesla has been busy filling in all the holes on the east coast, so it seems likely enough to me.

Purchasing a new S. My sales consultant told me that a Supercharger is currently under construction in Charleston WVA. I see from reviewing threads that this has been promised for years! Does anyone know if one is under construction or not?

Thanks for the heads-up. Tips like this get the Tesla Motors Club sleuths in action searching city council minutes, planning commission minutes, building permits, and potential sites on the ground. I couldn't find anything online but I have sent an e-mail to the Charleston Building Commission, which handles permitting and inspections. I will report what they say if I hear back.

Thanks for the heads-up. Tips like this get the Tesla Motors Club sleuths in action searching city council minutes, planning commission minutes, building permits, and potential sites on the ground. I couldn't find anything online but I have sent an e-mail to the Charleston Building Commission, which handles permitting and inspections. I will report what they say if I hear back.
I emailed all members of the Charleston city council yesterday. So far me response.

Battery storage at SC sites cannot come fast enough!
If the reports of TM throttling charge rate at the San Diego SC, at the request of SDG&E are true then TM will need a lot of battery storage!... And solar!

The number of EVs on the roads are only going up, public charging station locations are also growing, which increases demand for electricity.

I remember reading a study about the impact of electric cars on the grid and they kept reiterating the fact that most EV owners charge at night when there's plenty of electricity to spare.
But what about when those EVs are charging during the day? Supercharger + public charging use is highest during the day, and that use is growing.
Obviously this is a problem the utility needs to solve, I just think Tesla and their utility sized battery storage packs can play a major role in implementing the solution.
(Which in my opinion is storage, why not have thousands of megawatts of batteries that can be charged at night with the spare electricity and used during the day when demand rises)

Many sites/organisations (including, Plug in America, I think) have put the usage at 90% home charging, 5% overnight away-from-home charging, and 5% fast charging on long trips.
I think this statistic includes non-Teslas but I could be wrong about that. If you take my driving:

Total 73K miles 41 months
- 50% commuting so 37K is always a night charge.
- 8% are multi day trips, so the SCs are all day with overnight destination charging. 2% night, 6% day
- 42% are average trips (one driving day) with 4-5 SCs each way, but one of those is at night. 8% night, 34% day
So adding them up 60% is night charging and 40% day.

Now not everyone has my driving pattern, but I'd be surprised if it averaged out to only 5% SC or CHAdeMO usage. The 5% would be correct if days rather than distance are counted.

The following is a list of the North American superchargers which opened in the last month and upcoming superchargers TMC has heard about. Sites with a known location are shown at supercharge.info; details of all sites are at the Supercharger Progress wiki. 5 new North American stations opened over the last month, and we should expect around 10 new openings this month.

LocationSite Known?Status
Buena Park, CA yes under construction
Crescent City, CA yes under construction
Eureka, CA yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Folsom (Palladio), CA yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Fremont (Kato Road), CA yes under construction hiatus
Groveland, CA yes in permitting
Napa, CA yes operational
Santa Ana, CA yes in permitting
Santa Barbara, CA yes in permitting
South Lake Tahoe, CA no unknown
Coralville, IA yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Davenport, IA no unknown
West Des Moines, IA yes under construction
Monroe, LA mostly awaiting transformer & hookup
Lee, MA yes under construction
Laurel, MD yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Brewer, ME yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Bay City, MI yes in permitting
Port Huron, MI yes awaiting power on & testing
Oakdale, MN yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Joplin, MO maybe in site negotiations
Rolla, MO yes under construction
Springfield, MO yes in permitting
Meridian, MS yes in permitting
Lima, MT yes in design / permitting
Fargo, ND no searching for site
Gothenburg, NE no searching for site
Lincoln, NE no searching for site
North Platte/Ogallala, NE no searching for site
Queensbury, NY yes operational
Catoosa, OK yes operational
Bandon, OR yes in permitting
Lincoln City, OR yes under construction
Memphis, TN yes in permitting
Arlington, TX yes in design/permitting
Cisco, TX yes awaiting power on & testing
Midland, TX maybe in design/permitting
Sweetwater, TX yes operational
Wausau, WI no searching for site
Jackson, WY yes in permitting
Huntsville, ON yes under construction
Parry Sound, ON yes under construction
Rivière-du-Loup, QC yes awaiting construction
Saint-Laurent, QC yes operational

Good point - that's very likely. A lot of Leaf owning families (for example) have two cars, use their Leaf only for city driving and their other car for longer trips.
Yup, put me in that category. I never commute in the Tesla (8 mi RT), instead bicycling in summer and Leafing in the winter. ALL of my Tesla miles are out of town trips, and almost exclusively with supercharging. Yes, I know I'm not normal.;)

Reactions: callmesam and Chuq
Took a trip to LA from Sacramento, stopped to charge at Manteca, Harris Ranch, buttonwillow. All charged at no more than 170+ amps, coming back it was late at night, same thing, did not charge at more than 170+ amps
Then to add salt to the wounds, there was a line of 6 cars at Burbank, which had 2 stalls out of order, waited over an hour and a half to get a stall, then another hour+ to get enough range to get to buttonwillow
I only had 26 miles of range and was unable to go to Culver City