Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta disagree here. Like I said a few posts back, if Tesla wanted to make this simple they would make it invisible, handled by hardware switches and smarts onsite.You would pull up to any open charger and charge at the max power your car can take at that moment. If there are 10 charging spaces, up to 5 random spaces would deliver full power. If it gets busier than that well drivers will start seeing a reduction in charge, but for the typically quiet rural supercharger site things would be much better for up to the first half of total charging spaces in use, meaning almost all the time.

At the currents involved, the hardware to do that would not be cheap and would be another failure point.

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner
yes, the setups change from location to location. I don't think it is very difficult to read the numbers and easily discern which stall would be the better stall to charge at because of regardless of the physical layout of the particular SpC you still should avoid if possible sharing chargers, stay off the B if the corresponding A is occupied.

But it is one more thing for people to be mindful of. I would bet less than half of Tesla owners/drivers understand the pairing concept to begin with. And if you are tired, or need to pee, you may just park "where ever" without some guidance.

But it is one more thing for people to be mindful of. (1)I would bet less than half of Tesla owners/drivers understand the pairing concept to begin with. (2)And if you are tired, or need to pee, you may just park "where ever" without some guidance.
I would consider those two separate issues, which I numbered there in your comment.
(1) Yes, people need to be informed of how it works, but...
(2) Is that so terrible if someone isn't on the potentially fastest stall? (If 1st car is mostly full, it's almost no difference.) If people are too tired or impatient or whatever to find the best spot, they will still get charging, but it will just be a bit slower. They are making that tradeoff choice, and that's not that big a deal. Maybe they are going to go get food, so they don't care if it takes a little longer and don't want to bother with checking the order of the stalls.
As long as people are informed how it works and have the ability to make the choice, it shouldn't matter to any of us if they take a paired stall and get a slower charging rate. More fast stalls for us!

Charger pairing is the least of our worries. if the unaware owner comes in AFTER us, then they get the slower charge and we continue with the charge based on the battery level.

The BIG issue is owners plugging in their car then getting in another vehicle and driving away. Who knows how long that Tesla will be there. It is the common courtesy to move your vehicle once it is charged that is our biggest issue.

I was talking to the folks at the Fremont Factory showroom. When owners take the factory tour, they ask if their Tesla is on a SuperCharger. If so, they retain the fob and move the car if it fills up while they are on the hour long tour. They also can see the charge status on all vehicles. So they can check with any owners in the waiting area. But what I saw last time, is they have no control of an owner who plugs in, gets in another car and drives away.

BTW, I am an owner with a HPWC. Used it for 18 months. I had to disable it and put in storage when my landlord sold my house. No provision for home charging anymore. So lay off the local's SC charging until you know the facts.

Reactions: bmah
The following is a list of the superchargers which opened in the last month and upcoming superchargers TMC has heard about. Sites with a known location are shown at supercharge.info; details of all sites are at the Supercharger Progress wiki. About 12 new North American stations opened over the last month, and we should expect around 12 new openings this month. There are a number of sites where we are expecting action and could even be under construction including Kuttawa KY, Grand Island NE, Columbia SC, Jackson TN, Midland TX, and Morgantown WV. If anyone is passing through any of those locations, please take a look around and report back what you find or don't find.

LocationSite Known?Status
Birmingham, AL yes under construction
Buena Park, CA yes operational
Fremont (Kato Road), CA yes under construction hiatus
Groveland, CA yes under construction
Santa Ana, CA yes awaiting transformer / hookup
Santa Barbara, CA yes in permitting
Santa Nella, CA yes awaiting power on / testing
South Lake Tahoe, CA no unknown
Fort Morgan, CO no unknown
Loveland, CO yes under construction
Naples, FL yes in permitting
Davenport, IA yes operational
West Des Moines, IA yes operational
Mount Vernon, IL yes operational
North Aurora, IL yes operational
Kuttawa, KY no unknown
Aberdeen, MD yes in permitting
Cumberland, MD maybe in site negotiations
Bay City, MI yes sometimes operational
Alexandria, MN no unknown
Clearwater, MN yes under construction
Joplin, MO maybe in site negotiations
Springfield, MO yes under construction
Meridian, MS yes operational
Lima, MT yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Statesville, NC yes in permitting
Fargo, ND no searching for site
Gothenburg, NE yes under construction
Grand Island, NE no under construction?
Kearney, NE no unknown
Lincoln, NE yes under construction
North Platte, NE no unknown
Ogallala, NE yes under construction
Lincoln, NH yes in permitting
Las Cruces, NM maybe in site negotiations
Santa Fe, NM yes in permitting
Kingston, NY yes operational
Tarrytown, NY yes under construction
Bandon, OR yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Bloomsburg, PA yes operational
Columbia, SC no unknown
Myrtle Beach, SC yes in permitting
Jackson, TN no under construction?
Memphis, TN yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Arlington, TX yes in permitting
Channelview, TX yes operational
Childress, TX yes operational
Junction, TX yes under construction
Kingsville, TX yes awaiting transformer & hookup
Midland, TX maybe under construction?
Texarkana, TX maybe in permitting
Wichita Falls, TX no in site selection
Aberdeen, WA yes under construction
Green Bay, WI no unknown
Stevens Point, WI no unknown
Wausau, WI yes in permitting
Morgantown, WV no unknown
Jackson, WY yes operational
Wheatland, WY no unknown
Fort McLeod, AB yes awaiting power on / testing
Merritt, BC yes under construction
Oakville, ON yes under construction
Lévis, QC no unknown

I wonder, could the info page include a graphic layout of the stalls and their pairings?

So that when approaching an unfamiliar supercharger station, I can easily and quickly identify the optimal stall to connect to? Hunting down those little labels at the bottom of the pedastals and usually behind other vehicles right now does not make this practical. Especially since Tesla seems to be reluctant to direct this automatically via helpful instructions from the UI in the car when approaching a station.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
That's too complicated for the average Joe. The average Joe just wants to plug their car in and forget about it.

If Tesla wanted to make this simple they'd just have some sort of indicator on each still that showed whether or not a stall was not capable of providing 100+ kW or something because it's partially in use or has other issues.

I've used superchargers a hundred times and never think about what stall to use, except to park as far away from other cars as a curtesy.

Reactions: KJD
Saw a strange sign at the Brussels Airport Supercharger yesterday. Wonder what it is supposed to mean: that you are allowed to ICE a Supercharger if for not more than 40 minutes?:confused: (the first two stalls are indeed marked with "P", the other six only marked with the EV-loading pictogram - see second photo). Or that if you have another EV, you can charge at the first two Supercharger stalls (that is technically impossible today, right?). Or would it be the shape of things to come, i.e. Tesla tomorrow opening up its Superchargers for other EV's?
TIMG_1016.jpg
TIMG_1015.jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
Saw a strange sign at the Brussels Airport Supercharger yesterday. Wonder what it is supposed to mean: that you are allowed to ICE a Supercharger if for not more than 40 minutes?:confused: (the first two stalls are indeed marked with "P", the other six only marked with the EV-loading pictogram - see second photo). Or that if you have another EV, you can charge at the first two Supercharger stalls (that is technically impossible today, right?). Or would it be the shape of things to come, i.e. Tesla tomorrow opening up its Superchargers for other EV's?
View attachment 201427 View attachment 201428
I'm guessing this is similar to the situation at some US superchargers where certain spots are allowed to be ICEd due to the property owner's agreement with Tesla.

One idea is that the airport may have been required to have a certain number of EV charging spaces. Doing this allowed them to cross off two things at once and provides some flexibility.

Reactions: Blu Zap