Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision coming to radar-equipped cars on 2022.24.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 release notes are now available and now brings Tesla Vision to radar-equipped vehicles. This change was first seen in the mystery 2022.20.9 release which was only pushed out to a small number of cars.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 Release Notes | Tesla Updates

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.15.42 PM.png

(Credit: Tesla Updates)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
The 24.6 release notes on my car make no mention of Tesla Vision. Either 1, 2, or both 1&2 occurred:

1. Tesla decided that radar+camera still performs better than Tesla vision (in many areas).
2. The memory on HW2.5 cannot fit Tesla vision models.

If #2 is is true and Tesla ever manages to fit Tesla vision on HW2.5 (through model quantization), Tesla vision performance on HW2.5 will naturally be worse than performance on HW3.

Attachments

• PXL_20220904_175340704.jpg
    PXL_20220904_175340704.jpg
    548.6 KB · Views: 96
That may be in the notes but on my car, using Tesla vision on the latest software update, neither is set to auto or required to be set to auto for autopilot to work.

You know, experience from using it.
Have you tried at night? My understanding is it puts them on auto (despite your default setting).
If they changed something, that's definitely promising, but I'm sticking with radar until following distance gets down to "1" and max speed goes above "85mph". I'm a little bummed about not being able to see through fog/smoke, but I'd likely do the switch if they can get the other stuff on par with radar.

Until then I'm going to version lock. At least I can stop looking at tesla update web pages. Sad that I used to be excited about 2022.24 fixing the 2 things that annoyed me (camera repeater and nav direction location) until I found out about the "turd in the punch bowl".

I'm not going to swap out 2 annoyances I can deal with with 2 that'd frustrate me

Reactions: UncleCreepy
The 24.6 release notes on my car make no mention of Tesla Vision. Either 1, 2, or both 1&2 occurred:

1. Tesla decided that radar+camera still performs better than Tesla vision (in many areas).

If #2 is is true and Tesla ever manages to fit Tesla vision on HW2.5 (through model quantization), Tesla vision performance on HW2.5 will naturally be worse than performance on HW3.
Check your 2022.20 notes... they stealthily rewrote them.

Or see if you can set follow distance to "1"

Reactions: MP3Mike
Have you tried at night? My understanding is it puts them on auto (despite your default setting).
If they changed something, that's definitely promising, but I'm sticking with radar until following distance gets down to "1" and max speed goes above "85mph". I'm a little bummed about not being able to see through fog/smoke, but I'd likely do the switch if they can get the other stuff on par with radar.

Until then I'm going to version lock. At least I can stop looking at tesla update web pages. Sad that I used to be excited about 2022.24 fixing the 2 things that annoyed me (camera repeater and nav direction location) until I found out about the "turd in the punch bowl".

I'm not going to swap out 2 annoyances I can deal with with 2 that'd frustrate me
I have. Auto high beam is definitely not turning on automatically. I’ll recheck the wipers.

In all fairness, this could all change in a heartbeat with the next release and if someone else’s car is behaving differently I would not be surprised.

But as always with Tesla, reader beware. Things are never as they seem. Things are never as good or bad as people report.

My data point aside… I fully expect tesla to require auto high beams and wipers at a certain point. Hopefully they will work well enough by then. I’m not holding my breath either way.

Also my data point aside: who on this thread, that is saying Teslavision requires auto high beam and auto wipers, actually has and is using teslavision? I would not be surprised if there are cars functioning this way too. Not FSD Beta. That is well documented in threads and videos already.

Last edited:
I have. Auto high beam is definitely not turning on automatically. I’ll recheck the wipers.

In all fairness, this could all change in a heartbeat with the next release and if someone else’s car is behaving differently I would not be surprised.

But as always with Tesla, reader beware. Things are never as they seem. Things are never as good or bad as people report.

My data point aside… I fully expect tesla to require auto high beams and wipers at a certain point. Hopefully they will work well enough by then. I’m not holding my breath either way.

Also my data point aside: who on this thread, that is saying Teslavision requires auto high beam and auto wipers, actually has and is using teslavision? I would not be surprised if there are cars functioning this way too. Not FSD Beta. That is well documented in threads and videos already.

Interesting here is what it shows when I have AP enabled:

1662348326232.png

Yes, I can push the stalk forward and turn off high beams altogether, but then I can't "force" high beams on anyway other than holding the stalk towards me.

The little control pop-up that comes up when you start AP makes it look like you can disable auto high-beams, but it doesn't actually do that, it just turns off high beams altogether. (Or it turns off auto high beams when you don't have AP enabled.)

Trying to think through scenarios so I know what I’d be letting myself in for if I did install this when offered….

If you’ve activated AP, and AHB is forced on, and you can’t get high beam without holding the stalk, what happens if you then cancel AP?

Does AHB stay on or it does revert to how you had it set outside of AP?

If AHB does stay on, how easily / quickly can you cancel AHB and also manually turn on a persistent full beam using just the stalk?

Scenario I’m imaging is driving along in AP…AHB plays up and turns off full beam at an inopportune moment… is it possible / plausible to quickly cancel AP, switch back to manual high beam control, and then manually turn on full beam - all without touching the screen, and without holding the stalk?

Thanks

Last edited:

You need HW3 and the camera upgrade for Tesla Vision.

Are you saying AP2 and AP2.5 hardware is still using radar regardless of software level? I don't recall any source indicating that.
FSD development (which Tesla Vision is a subset of) has been HW3-only for years now. It's hard to see how that would change at this point.

As a side note, it was interesting how there were claims early to mid 2019 that HW3 wouldn't make any difference without FSD. It's actually kind of amazing how much different it is now, as all the occupancy network stuff and such eventually comes to all HW3 cars.