Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this the thread where we can bitch about how dumb our gov't is? :)

I don't even know what to make of all this. I'm a late reservation holder, but I ordered June 28th. I have an AWD config, but kinda want to change over to RWD in hopes of getting the car sooner. But in reading what a lot of you have gone through, i'm starting to think my config won't make a difference and it's just going to take a long time either way

I wouldn't call it dumb. I would call it greed. Dealerships association lobbying against direct to consumer sales is most likely the culprit. Someones coffers got lined.

Reactions: SleepingLesson
Is this the thread where we can bitch about how dumb our gov't is? :)

I don't even know what to make of all this. I'm a late reservation holder, but I ordered June 28th. I have an AWD config, but kinda want to change over to RWD in hopes of getting the car sooner. But in reading what a lot of you have gone through, i'm starting to think my config won't make a difference and it's just going to take a long time either way

I held a reservation since 2016, and I didn't put in an order until I test drove a Model 3 at the Houston Galleria 'gallery' on JULY 20th. I put in an order that night, and the next day I got a call from a Delivery advisor that "needed to clarify some of my order information". Once he confirmed that I was paying cash with no trade in, he said "your car is built" and explained the Texas purchase and delivery 'hoops' (yes, our STATE government is beholden to the Auto Dealers, not the consumers - good time to remind your local representatives who has more voting power!!)

I think the LR RWD Premium Interior cars are built and waiting for any buyers who have the $50k to fork over. (60K after you add EAP, 19" wheels and paint!) Go for the RWD / cash / no trade and I suspect you will be picking up your M3 within a month! (IMHO)

Good luck, and please let this thread know what happens!

Reactions: Dr. J
I held a reservation since 2016, and I didn't put in an order until I test drove a Model 3 at the Houston Galleria 'gallery' on JULY 20th. I put in an order that night, and the next day I got a call from a Delivery advisor that "needed to clarify some of my order information". Once he confirmed that I was paying cash with no trade in, he said "your car is built" and explained the Texas purchase and delivery 'hoops' (yes, our STATE government is beholden to the Auto Dealers, not the consumers - good time to remind your local representatives who has more voting power!!)

I think the LR RWD Premium Interior cars are built and waiting for any buyers who have the $50k to fork over. (60K after you add EAP, 19" wheels and paint!) Go for the RWD / cash / no trade and I suspect you will be picking up your M3 within a month! (IMHO)

Interesting and good to know! Of course, about 3 weeks ago, I changed my order to RWD/Blue hoping that maybe I'd get a call/email within a few days, and I didn't. So it makes me wonder if you early reservation holders are all getting priority when all else is about equal. It seems to be the case, which is why it may just take me a bit longer.

@WayneGTX - I think people who ordered the RWD recently were getting the cars that Tesla was stocking up to deliver starting in July. They may have already gone through that stock depending on configuration. If you have the AWD, I would still hold on to it as those along with the AWD P appear to taking priority. Maybe check some of the VIN threads in to see if there are any new RWD vins being posted to get an idea. My RWD delivered 8/3 is 34xxx built in June but I think they're in the 7xxxx or 8xxxx vins now...

Here’s my timeline for my LR RWD:

4/1/2016 - Initial reservation made
6/27/2018 - Invitation to configure received and configuration completed
7/16 - Received initial email from ISA along with a pro-forma invoice that included VIN (304xx)
7/17 - Was told next step was to wait for MVPA
7/30 - After impatiently waiting, I ask my CU if they can use the pro-forma invoice to finalize the loan and they agree (while asking for a copy of the certififcate of origin that Tesla was able to provide). Over the course of the next couple of days, financing is complete and the money is sent to Tesla
8/1 - After the payment is showing on my Tesla account, I am told I still have to wait for the MVPA with no ETA as to when that’ll be
8/9 - Received email from ISA stating we do not need the MVPA to be signed for delivery. Scheduled delivery for the 30th here in Austin and appointment now shows up in my Tesla account. I’m told I’ll receive documentation via fedex a couple of days prior to delivery that will need to be signed but dated when I show up for the appointment.
8/10 - Finally received MVPA to digitally sign. Signed and returned.

That’s where I am currently. I expect the MVPA will be signed by Tesla in the next day or so and fingers crossed I’ll receive the car on the 30th. Definitely excited!

EDIT BUTTON IS GONE! As of 8/12 now I see yellow dots and they're asking for loan/trade in evaluation. Still no VIN.

Question: what documents do I need from Tesla to take to the bank in order to get the loan?

Line waiter
Ordered 5/23 (originally MSM)
Changed to blue 5/24
Added FSD 8/1
AWD FSD Black Blue Aero

Are there any other Austin, TX folks who might be seeing any delays? Our M-3 is stuck in Oklahoma for past 2 wks. Original delivery date was Aug 4th but they keep telling us that there are Logistical delays. Not sure what is going on. It is so disappointing that even though our first loan payment is already processed, but we have no car. If you have any information on what this delay is and possibly when it will resolve, then it will be very helpful. Unfortunately Tesla staff is unbelievably good for nothing and have provided no help what so ever.

Reactions: SleepingLesson
Are there any other Austin, TX folks who might be seeing any delays? Our M-3 is stuck in Oklahoma for past 2 wks. Original delivery date was Aug 4th but they keep telling us that there are Logistical delays. Not sure what is going on. It is so disappointing that even though our first loan payment is already processed, but we have no car. If you have any information on what this delay is and possibly when it will resolve, then it will be very helpful. Unfortunately Tesla staff is unbelievably good for nothing and have provided no help what so ever.
This is my exact scenario! Originally had a 8/4 delivery date at the Austin Ponds Springs service center, which got delayed twice because the vehicle is sitting in Oklahoma. It doesn't help anything, but it does make me feel slightly better that it's not just my car stuck in OK limbo.

It's super frustrating. I don't think I have any new info to provide. Last I spoke to anyone was Thursday, and nothing had changed. My IDA has been very non-communicative; I've had to call the delivery center every time to find out if I'm delayed.

Well honk my hooter. I finally just decided I really don't need AWD here in Texas. And after having driven the RWD last week, that really is fast enough for me (I mean, faster IS always better, but it's not like I'd stomp on it every single time). So I edited my order to a simple Red, RWD, 18s, and within like two minutes, the website was having me confirm my loan information.

Same here.. I'll be interested in their reply.

I called them back in the afternoon and they picked up this time. They said my car was close, near Texarkana to be specific. I didn’t clarify if it was on a truck or train. He said it’s expected to arrive at the service center within 48 hours and I should be able to take delivery on time on Friday if it passes their quality inspection.

Reactions: LonestarV
Well honk my hooter. I finally just decided I really don't need AWD here in Texas. And after having driven the RWD last week, that really is fast enough for me (I mean, faster IS always better, but it's not like I'd stomp on it every single time). So I edited my order to a simple Red, RWD, 18s, and within like two minutes, the website was having me confirm my loan information.
Please keep us updated on your progress. That's my preferred combination, and I may order this week.