Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cruise Control Stalk & Human Factors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a bone to pick about the cruise control stalk.

It's backward. I don't mean it's working improperly, but I mean--well--it's backward.

When you are using cruise control in the Model S, pressing the lever forward (away from you) cancels cruise, and pulling it back toward you resumes cruise.

This may not seem backward to you if you're used to driving a Mercedes. It also may not seem backward if you've trained your brain to remember this. But, I have an interest in engineering human factors and interface design, and IMHO this is all wrong.

The best and most intuitive interface should mimic or reflect reality. When I want to resume CC, I should push the stalk forward because I want to speed back up and have the car move me forward. If I'm cancelling CC, it's because I want to slow down, so I should pull the stalk toward me, like a handbrake or a horse's reigns--and because I want the car to accelerate in the backward direction.

First, what do you think?

Second, any chance in Hades that Tesla might change this in a future software update? (Fingers crossed).

I mention this because it was so counter-intuitive and distracting to me during my drive on the highway today that I started to depart my lane!

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops. Meant the title of this thread to be "The CRUISE control stalk & human factors"! (Typing on smartphone).

As a long-time Mercedes driver, I like things just the way they are. Never had to un-think it; just learned what it was. IMHO, this is a tempest in a teapot, and would be mightely annoyed if it were changed.

First, I am also left handed. Write with my hand off the board and have sat in "backward" school desks my entire life...been there, done that.

Regarding the handbrake analogy, I'm referring to handbrake as in on a motorcycle or bicycle. Horse's reigns was just another supporting example. Primary driver is that you should be moving the stick in the direction you want the car to go. I am not uncoordinated. Flew jets in the Air Force, so I understand when forward means down and backward means up.

I've also taken many human factors engineering courses, and the science and psychology of those classes would disagree with those that say it's 50%.

I agree that despite the wierdness, you can get used to it. I have...mostly...but the other day was obviously a struggle because the directions are not intuitive. As I suspected, the Merc drivers are used to it. We can train our brains to do just about anything. Very adaptable organs, those brains are. The point is that it takes more thought than it should. If you use CC frequently, no problem. If not, you'll be using extra concentration to think about which way the stalk should go. Just like why pilots need to fly frequently to keep up the skill.

But notice that of those who actually have their car and weren't Merc drivers (already used to it), 100% say it feels backward. That's not coincidence. Will everyone say it feels backward? No. But if you believe in human factors principles, I'd suspect that at least 90% think it feels backward.

- - - Updated - - -

"Pushing" is just as often an off action on certain machinery as it is an on action. E.g. emergency switches on a table saw, blade rotation on a ride-on mower, the lights on my utility vehicle. Muscle memory will take care of the problem soon enough.

Mode note: title updated at OP request.

I hear you, but you're referring to actions that have no inherent direction associated with it. On/off, rotation, etc. have no inherent direction. However, cancelling CC has an inherent slowing direction (backward) and resuming has an inherent accelerating direction (forward). There's a difference WRT human factors.

You are absolutely right that muscle memory will take care of it. If the stalk stayed, I'd get used to it, I agree.

HOWEVER, if you were to sit at the stalk for the first time, I'd bet that at least 90% of people would think that pushing away resumes CC. It just requires more effort to learn for the first time. Also, muscle memory can degrade if not exercised often...as evidenced by those that reported similar confusion.

There's a lot of talk about getting used to it. Human factors is not about getting used to something, it's about a design being so intuitive that it doesn't require thought to the overwhelming majority of users.

P.S. I recognize there is no "right answer" here, so obviously it's a debate. Other opinions are heard, acknowledged, and respected :).

I hear you, but you're referring to actions that have no inherent direction associated with it. On/off, rotation, etc. have no inherent direction. However, cancelling CC has an inherent slowing direction (backward) and resuming has an inherent accelerating direction (forward). There's a difference WRT human factors.

You are absolutely right that muscle memory will take care of it. If the stalk stayed, I'd get used to it, I agree.

HOWEVER, if you were to sit at the stalk for the first time, I'd bet that at least 90% of people would think that pushing away resumes CC.

Braking: push the brake away from you the car slows.

Cruise control: push the stalk away from you the car slows.

I agree with the OP about the Cancel/Resume functions.

But I have, for me, a bigger gripe with the Cruise Control-- Like the Roadster, the car is built to do everything in MPH, and then those of us with a more civilized measurement system have to live with everything being converted to km/h. This REALLY is a pain with the cruise control, because the increments for speed up/slow down are 1.6 km/h (1 MPH) and 8 km/h (5 MPH), instead of the more intuitive, consistent and useful 1 and 5 km/h. Our speed zones in Canada are in increments of 5 km/h not 8 km/h!

I agree with the OP about the Cancel/Resume functions.

But I have, for me, a bigger gripe with the Cruise Control-- Like the Roadster, the car is built to do everything in MPH, and then those of us with a more civilized measurement system have to live with everything being converted to km/h. This REALLY is a pain with the cruise control, because the increments for speed up/slow down are 1.6 km/h (1 MPH) and 8 km/h (5 MPH), instead of the more intuitive, consistent and useful 1 and 5 km/h. Our speed zones in Canada are in increments of 5 km/h not 8 km/h!

I see no reason why they can't correct this in software so that it's 1/5 in imperial and metric. Good one to submit to Tesla.