Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would also consider purchasing a demo to stretch your budget, and trade your car in to do the same, especially if your state gives you trade in tax credit.

I bought a P90D, with 300 (yes three hundred) miles on it and they discounted the car $11400, had a referral code for $1000 and with the demo they waived the doc and delivery of $1200, for a total savings of $13600!!!!

Now the car I bought has all the goodies, and listed for $144K, and I would have never spec'd or bought one like this, but Im so happy. I got way more car than I wanted or needed, at a "reasonable" price ....

JJ
That sounds like a great deal, esp, for only 300 miles. Still, I would argue that @130k it's sort of disqualified from the "reasonably priced" Model S conversation but it certainly qualifies for a "good price" conversation.

I didn't really consider used because I wanted the newer body style, I really like the new front end, and I'm glad I did plop down when I did for the new AP as well.

congrats, delivery is in 2017, seems longer than average.
My original delivery time based off of the order was going to be Dec. I asked to push it to Jan 2017 earliest because I won't be able to take the tax credit in 2016. I had a tax credit carryover from 2015 for my 7.83kW solar system. I figured if I was only able to use 1/2 of my solar credit and carry over the 1/2 and my tax situation really didn't change significantly, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of both solar and EV tax credits. Solar can only be carried over 2 years and EV tax credit is only valid for the year of the purchase. But I would guess that any orders before first week of Nov will be delivering in Dec unless they had a huge surge of orders.

However, any orders with Grey leather will push your order back to Mid-2017. It's the least requested color and they have a shortage of it. It's probably available but just not in the bulk lot that they have to order it in for the discounts. Or they are waiting until there's enough orders for the grey to order supply lot to fulfill demand rather than holding onto surplus materials for long periods of time. Delaying a batch of orders for the same material makes more sense for the operating costs than buying excess and having it sit there, I'm pretty sure they can use all the money they can for Gigafactory (and bailing out SolarCity :p )

Congrats... but what do you mean the D is software limited and that you can turn it into RWD?

60D - Yes I changed my mind. I drove both and I found a really good freeway exit to test AWD vs RWD but since it was really software limited for the vehicle I thought if I went with the D I could turn AWD off at any time and just use RWD for a more playful drive. Yeah, it's not really a reasonable option but since I am a long term car owner, I would regret not having this option down the road if I ever need it. Not a recommended option if you are looking to keep costs down and can't afford it though. Extra .3sec 0-60 will not blow any higher end sports car away, but it's very modest increase from RWD. I think the added range, and longer lasting wheels and breaks are also probably nominal here. So I can't really say I justify this if you really want a less expensive build (even in an area that gets snow) save yourself the money and go RWD. Remember I said reasonably priced build not the cheapest or the highest performing. Therefore, I'm sure you'll come to the right conclusion for you.

Premium Package - I said this before, this is a no brainer for me, I'm adding it. You are driving around in a at the VERY least $66K luxury vehicle and you want to miss out on fog lights, interior lights, high quality air filter and automatic trunk? That just doesn't make sense to me, it's probably the best "value" upgrade to the vehicle.

My build is not the cheapest nor the most expensive at $85,200 before taxes and delivery. I think if you're in the same boat you'll probably end up being +/- $7500 depending on what your preferences are.

PS I received my VIN this morning! About 24hrs after my order confirmed. I can't wait until 2017!

Wow. That's interesting-- I had previously thought only the size of the pack (60->75) was software limited (well and AP) and could be unlocked for a fee. I didn't know you could turn off a motor.

Yes. From the menu on the test vehicle it was set to 75D for AWD, but when I wanted to test RWD my DS changed performance to 70. He said I would be able to switch between 60D and 60 mode.

Premium Package - I said this before, this is a no brainer for me, I'm adding it. You are driving around in a at the VERY least $66K luxury vehicle and you want to miss out on fog lights, interior lights, high quality air filter and automatic trunk? That just doesn't make sense to me, it's probably the best "value" upgrade to the vehicle.

This is why this is a good thread- you get to see people's ideas as to what is "reasonable' and what, I guess, would be considered extravagant.
To me, this package is the most overinflated and meaningless of all the options. A bunch of lighting gimmicks. filtration upgrade and an automatic tailgate for $3K. No matter what the cost of the car, luxury or not, these are bells and whistles and money I'd rather put toward upgrading the range or even going to "D".

I would also consider purchasing a demo to stretch your budget, and trade your car in to do the same, especially if your state gives you trade in tax credit.

I bought a P90D, with 300 (yes three hundred) miles on it and they discounted the car $11400, had a referral code for $1000 and with the demo they waived the doc and delivery of $1200, for a total savings of $13600!!!!

Now the car I bought has all the goodies, and listed for $144K, and I would have never spec'd or bought one like this, but Im so happy. I got way more car than I wanted or needed, at a "reasonable" price ....

JJ
Awesome deal! How were you able to get them to discount it that much? Did you have to go into a Store and ask about it? Online only allows you to put down a deposit, and that's it...

This is why this is a good thread- you get to see people's ideas as to what is "reasonable' and what, I guess, would be considered extravagant.
To me, this package is the most overinflated and meaningless of all the options. A bunch of lighting gimmicks. filtration upgrade and an automatic tailgate for $3K. No matter what the cost of the car, luxury or not, these are bells and whistles and money I'd rather put toward upgrading the range or even going to "D".

Thanks and that's why I put together this thread.

It's cool what you chose to go with for options. I don't think there's a right or wrong with any choice. I have kids and having a large hatch open and closing automatically is a luxury I chose as a necessity, air quality is also important to me being stuck in the Valley, both from a pollution and allergen perspective.

Range isn't a concern for me hence going with the 60, I can always pay the extra for the 75. And D was a splurge because it's really low on the needs, but I talked myself into it and my order is locked and I have no regrets. I'll enjoy the slightly better performance and I'll have that piece of mind knowing I'll be able to tackle any road driving condition with my family in the car with AWD.

I think anyone just wanting to get base model MS 60, with no options at all will be very impressed with the technology in the car. I realize I probably added 10K in non-essential/cosmetic/comfort options, but they fit my needs and desires. 90D would be a fun upgrade but being that would be 5K more than my current build without any options I'd regret not having other options. Next time I win the lotto though it will be a Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode and a matching P100D Model X both with every single option possible ;)

(*note I've never won the lotto, this is my hardworking money going towards a vehicle that is a good treat for me and that will allow me to still put my kids through college)

Well said. Note that I would get the next gen seats which many would probably pass on but to me and my spine, was worth the money. And I hear you about the kids and college which is why I am essentially in the same boat. Congrats on the car and keep us posted on the delivery.

I realize I probably added 10K in non-essential/cosmetic/comfort options, but they fit my needs and desires. 90D would be a fun upgrade but being that would be 5K more than my current build without any options I'd regret not having other options.

Right in the same boat as you here. By far the most expensive car I have ever bought, but once I decided to buy a car with a base price at $66k, might as well do the $10k in non-essential/cosmetic/comfort options if you can afford it.

For me it ended up being next gen seats, pano, premium upgrade, AP, and paint color. If I had a do over I would probably do the exact same thing the next time. Next gen and pano still seem almost like necessities to me though I am sure I would have been fine in the base seats. I have never seen a Tesla with the base seats, so I don't really know. I almost never use AP, so I certainly could have done without especially since it is an add-in later option. Still it feels like if you are going to get a Tesla you might as well get AP. Premium upgrade is basically paying 3K for a power lift gate. So I get people who don't go for it.I also got it for the charging dock, but since no phone actually fits in the charging doc if it has a case on it that part of the option is pretty worthless. Paying a $1k for a paint color also may seem not worth it, but honestly I am going to look at it every day for a long time so might as well make it blue if that is what I like.

Congrats Jedinite if you see another red 60 on the road (the 10, the 210, the 110, the 105, or the 405?) ;) that might be me!

And as Watt Son said, the premium package just did not appeal to me. With that amount, I can buy everyone in the family brand new iPads and still have money left over to get roof rack, tow hitch, roof rack, tire chain etc. To me that is better ROI but to each his or her own. Heck we paid $1,500 for the red and everyone I know is rolling their eyes at that.

Reactions: jedinite
yes you have to go into a store ... they don't offer it up, they don't talk about it much ... but think about this ... how many people put down a deposit and their car gets built and they can't finish paying for it. Lost job, bankrupt, dies, or whatever ... theres plenty of unsold inventory and demos that they wanna sell ...

Thinking about Snatching up a "used" p90d and would like some feedback. Here's the deal:

Model S P90D
Dual motor AWD
White (not multicoat)
Panaramic Roof
19" Wheels (this is actually the only thing I don't like)
Black next generation seats
Black interior
Black Alcantera headliner
Obeche wood gloss decor
Carbon fiber spoiler
Ludricous Speed Upgrade
Battery Range upgrade
Smart air suspension
Red brake calipers
Auto Pilot software (hardware 1.0)
Ultra high fedility sound
High amp charger upgrade
Sub zero package

120 miles
Customer originally took delivery on 10/28/2016 but immediately traded it in to a dealer. I have the original I voice to confirm options and delivery date.
$109,000

I would defiantly want to upgrade the wheels to the 21" smoke gray turbine wheels.

I think this is a great deal. I know I won't get the tax credits, but even so seems like a steal. I also know it can't be upgraded to AP 2.0 and it can't get the air conditioned seats. I hope these seats are comfy enough.

Anything I should be aware of?

Last edited:
This does seem like a pretty good deal. Tesla has a few "New Inventory" P90Ds listed, all with more mileage and at higher prices.

Of course, the two biggest areas for you to evaluate is whether or not you'll be content with AP 1.0 and staying with the 90 battery pack, vs. waiting to get a 100 battery pack, which could provide up to 20% more range.

I second that. Do you want to spend another $30,000 and go all in? Do you want to save $20,000 and get one of the inventory P85Ds?

The 19" wheels are preferred by many members here because they last longer and some prefer the ride. Grey looks pretty good though. Will they upgrade then for $4500?

Its about $30k more after tax incentives to go to the P100D, $40k more before tax breaks. The high range would be nice, but the AP 2.0 doesn't really matter to me since its another $8k on top of that to enable.

I wish I could upgrade the wheels buts they wont allow any changes. I'll either have to find some on the secondary market like a forum user, ebay, etc, or will get gauged at the dealer. I really do like the 21" grey turbine rims though.

I must say, I am pretty excited to finally drive the best! I've spent all day on this forum. :)

Another alternative is to wait just a little bit longer and buy a fully loaded 100D.

My P85 goes 0-60 in 4.2 seconds - and for normal urban and highway driving, that's faster than you can use in almost all circumstances.

While a P90D is faster, a 90D has the same 0-60 4.2 second performance as my P85, with about 30 miles more range (294 miles). A P90D with faster performance (that you may not use very often) is rated for less at 270 miles.

Based on the rated range of the P100D (315 miles), it's possible a 100D could be rated for over 340 miles.

If the 100D has about the same performance (if not slightly better) than our P85, and has an additional 75 miles of range, we'd prefer the much longer range rather than getting higher performance, that we probably wouldn't use.

Plus, we want the AP 2.0 hardware, with the possibility the car may be self driving in the future.

Well, I ended up going a little "unreasonable" on mine. Went with 60D(wife chimed in about four wheel drive and safety)/ WEATHER PACKAGE ! (even in SOCal the kids wanted this)/Next Gen seats(my one concession) /and Air Suspension(sales guy brought car without it to our house and let us hear scraping sound on our driveway without it).........crazy what a little reading on this forum can do....got referral discount and ended up at $83.2K all in.....plan on keeping it for a while so pretty happy.