Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you didn't know about your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of things come to mind:
1) How many miles do you have on the car? It won't enable AutoPark until you have at least several hundred miles -- needs to calibrate.
2) How close are you to the cars? You need to be closer than you would otherwise be so the sensors can "read" the cars and the gap.
3) You must have a car - gap - car for the AutoPark to detect a spot.
There's also a speed limitation, though I can't recall offhand what it is. My car shows the Autopark icon relatively frequently, but I have yet to use it.

1) How many miles do you have on the car? It won't enable AutoPark until you have at least several hundred miles -- needs to calibrate.
2) How close are you to the cars? You need to be closer than you would otherwise be so the sensors can "read" the cars and the gap.

I have more than 1600 miles on it.
I tried a few times with different distance but all between 4-8 feet.
Yes there was a car-gap-car and in fact a few of those.

While coasting downhill to keep some distance from the car in front, the constant brake lights would make the driver behind me #1 think I'm an amateur driver, #2 intentionally braking to have them back off, and #3 become thoroughly annoyed as it would make them keep moving to & from the brake pedal.
I wonder about just that. In fact I always prided myself for taking highway 50 from SLT and almost never touching the brakes in my manual transmission car unless I had to back up to yahoos who stuck on the brakes for every turn they could have made at twice the speed they were going at.

I wonder about just that. In fact I always prided myself for taking highway 50 from SLT and almost never touching the brakes in my manual transmission car unless I had to back up to yahoos who stuck on the brakes for every turn they could have made at twice the speed they were going at.
The way I remember it, the lights go off on long stretches like this. I believe the lights are tied more to an accelerometer than straight up regen.

1. NOT true. Mine auto parked with < 30 miles both parallel and perpendicular. First day I drove car.
2. I find that you have to be within 8 feet for sure, 6 feet is probably better between the side of your car and the parked cars you are parking inbetween.
3. Yes, there must be cars on both sides of the parking spot or at least a bush that looks like a car :)
Also, don't drive REALLY slow like 2mph, drive closer to 10mph and it works fine.

• Informative
Reactions: Saxena
@loganintx Calibration IS true. The manual states it clearly as did my SC. Not sure why yours did it so fast, but that's not the case for most people.

Mine comes on, but never when I need/want it. Useless for me. I don't trust the ultrasonic sensors anyway though based on my AP experience.

1. NOT true. Mine auto parked with < 30 miles both parallel and perpendicular. First day I drove car.
2. I find that you have to be within 8 feet for sure, 6 feet is probably better between the side of your car and the parked cars you are parking inbetween.
3. Yes, there must be cars on both sides of the parking spot or at least a bush that looks like a car :)
Also, don't drive REALLY slow like 2mph, drive closer to 10mph and it works fine.
So, you're saying that AutoPark should work here...;)
DAainrc.jpg

BTW, I have also found that sometimes it doesn't display the P but it still works. On those occasions, I have been intently looking for the P, given up on it, only to find that when I put the car on reverse to park it myself, all of a sudden the touchscreen displays the controls for auto-park.

I was wondering if that could be a possible scenario. I will check it.

Oh boy this is so far the most valuable tip I've read. In my recent trip I thought the Frunk was the safest place to store my important documents and kept them there.. what an Irony :(

This feature is a SAFETY issue. It allows emergency responders to access the Frunk so they can cut the power loop located in the area by the passenger (Rt) side forward of the "firewall"... This disconnects the 12v power to the battery relay, thereby disconnecting the high voltage DC battery pack.

• Informative
Reactions: VerityZooms
@loganintx Calibration IS true. The manual states it clearly as did my SC. Not sure why yours did it so fast, but that's not the case for most people.

Mine comes on, but never when I need/want it. Useless for me. I don't trust the ultrasonic sensors anyway though based on my AP experience.
I've parked about 10 times with it in 2 weeks. Works perfectly. If it's not then I'd take it to the SC, have them drive the car with you and see whether it's user error or car error. I've done it on both left and right sides with both parallel and perpendicular.

You should kiss and hug your X every night so it won't act weird. Of course the risk is that you may become an eX and may have to spend your nights in the car too :D

I've taken to talking to my X:

1. "Sorry, we're not driving anywhere today". ("We" because of Autopilot.)

2. "Sit tight. I'll charge you tomorrow".

etc.

I really did say #1 a few times. Fully expect to see it added to the DSM-IV next time its revised.

When you release the accelerator to "coast" the brake lights turn on. It wasn't really something I put too much thought into until my recent trip to Lake Tahoe. While coasting downhill to keep some distance from the car in front, the constant brake lights would make the driver behind me #1 think I'm an amateur driver, #2 intentionally braking to have them back off, and #3 become thoroughly annoyed as it would make them keep moving to & from the brake pedal. One solution is setting low regenerative braking.

I too am abnormally concerned about how my driving / braking appears to those behind me. I always have been, even before the Model X.

I've now been driving the X for about 3 weeks. It took about a day to remember it was going to regen, and not clumsily come to a stop 50 feet short of a stop sign. It took about a week to start feeling natural and judging distances correctly and smoothly. And about two weeks to be able to finesse it at any speed so that I felt comfortable with its decision to show brake lights.

You just have to work very gently with the first 3-5% of e accelerator. Going down a hill? Letting off the accelerator will be like braking. But keeping it pressed 5% will be like downshifting to 4th, and your brake lights will not come on. If you release it further to 3%, it will be like downshifting to third, and the brake lights will come on (and probably should!).

To test your abilities, try taking a freeway off ramp, and try to control it so that the brake lights only appear in the last 200 feet leading up to the stoplight.

Also, when you feel you are flashing your brake lights too much, simply look around you. Most other people driving in any amount of traffic are brake-lighting constantly, and often fairly erratically. Don't let your OCD ruin the fun, and enjoy turning it into a game you can play with yourself.