Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for a new HV Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharged maybe once a year. Normally slow charged at home to 80%. Garage kept and not driven hard. Tesla said battery was in good shape less than a year ago when inspected. It updated itself with usual updates. Don't remember if there was one immediately before the brick. It did die suddenly with no warnings at all though. Just wouldn't start one morning.

Reactions: ddb1001 and NV Ray
Add me to the list. 2013 model P85+. 48k miles. Battery and car were babied and had a recent battery inspection at Tesla last winter when MCU was upgraded. Battery died suddenly a couple months ago.

Going through the said bizarre process. Approved a $15k invoice for reman 85 unit. Without telling me the estimate went to $19k and now lists a 90kwh version C pack replacement.

Tesla still hasn't communicated with me yet. Very strange.

I don't want a neutered 90kwh pack that has paid upgrades and lower voltage for an extra $4000. I'll either push for a reman unit for the original price or ask them to charge me the original price for the 90 kwh battery.

That $700 charge to unlock another 5% range or whatever would really piss me off after all this crap.

Tesla needs to treat it's customers better because when real competition is available there's a lot of non-fanboys that will happily switch brands and *sugar* all over Tesla for their customer service and utterly bizarre service repairs.

I'm especially bitter because I'm an oldschool Tesla guy that bought in before the Model 3 was a thing and customer service was amazing back then. Going downmarket really screwed the brand from my perspective. But I know there's a lot of happy Model 3/Y customers.
You make many good points, thx. Did you also get the BMS_u029 error message?
The failure of these batteries is mostly due to the electronic components inside the pack, not the cells themselves, which have proven to be highly robust. These electronic parts, PCB boards, sensors, etc. can fail without any advance notice due to their age and long exposure to adverse temperature, moisture, humidity, road vibration, etc.
Thanks for the info. What is your source? The Tesla Service Center was lacking in detail with me other than HV battery needed replacement.

Think this might be of interest to folks facing the need for a battery pack replacement.

Update: My replacement HV battery has arrived. Multiple good news - instead of reman 85 kWh, it's a new 90 kWh which I will be charged what the reman 85 kWh was quoted at. Firmware will change 90 to 85 with opportunity to increase in the future for an unknown fee at this time. Extra suspension parts for heavier 90 battery provided at no cost. Because of Thanksgiving holiday, car will be done on 28 Oct. Will further update then.

That's lame it's locked to 85kwh when you're getting a heavier battery and potentially worse performance.

While I agree that the software locking for warranty replacements is all around goofy and senseless, the new 14 module 90 pack is almost certainly lighter than the original 16 module 85, not heavier, and there’s no indication of reduced performance whatsoever.

While I agree that the software locking for warranty replacements is all around goofy and senseless, the new 14 module 90 pack is almost certainly lighter than the original 16 module 85, not heavier, and there’s no indication of reduced performance whatsoever.

Goofier than that is their software locking is inconsistent across the board.

Under warranty, some get locked, some don't.

Out of warranty, at least one owner I know of here fully paid for it but still received a locked pack and had to press them for the final unlock.

Reactions: NV Ray
Update: Picked up my 2012 P85 today. Pic is my new HV battery label. Service center charged to 290 miles (100%) as part of their service procedures.

20221119_085315.jpg

Last edited:
$15k. Original estimate was for 85kWh reman. New 90 kWh delivered/installed. Tesla Service Center honored original reman estimate. Further, parts to beef up suspension due to 90 kWh battery provided at no cost to me. Firmware reduced to 85 kWh.
Awesome. This is pretty much what happened with me as well. Mines not 290 miles though - it was while in service, but was reduced to ~275 after service was complete, so my guess is that this was before it was locked back down to 85 kWh.

The biggest benefit is that I am now seeing efficiency that’s closer to the rated range. Before, I was lucky to get 180-190 miles from 90% despite it reading 220 miles.

Reactions: Droschke and NV Ray
Update: Picked up my 2012 P85 today. Pic is my new HV battery label. Service center charged to 290 miles (100%) as part of their service procedures.

View attachment 876335
@NV Ray I'm super interested in the Supercharger charging speeds with your new pack. If you'd be so kind (along with anyone else!) as to share your experiences (when you have some decent data under your belt) I'd appreciate it.

Here’s mine the last time I supercharged. Big improvement over my prior pack. Seems like it can stay ~120 kWh up to about 20%, and above 100 kWh through 50%. These images were taken 13 minutes apart.

I think my prior pack would drop to 80kwh after 20% and maybe to like 50-60kwh around 50%.

Attachments

• 48156308-09A9-4E4C-8A82-C44E302D241E.jpeg
    48156308-09A9-4E4C-8A82-C44E302D241E.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 9F93BCDB-86EA-4FDA-8E77-4279219436F5.jpeg
    9F93BCDB-86EA-4FDA-8E77-4279219436F5.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: RockinWithKids