Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m from Colorado and I originally reported NO. Yesterday, I got the new map. I went back to edit and I see no such option. Then, I read here that it can be be done by adding again with YES using the same email. Well, I tired that and it’s still showing my original report.

OP: unless you figure out how people can edit their answer, you will end up with a lot of bad data points.

Yes, yes, I know. I’m on a family trip and I haven’t had time to do that piece, I will get that done tonight. Sorry!

Reactions: Maximus-MX
Given the generally mystery around how cars are selected to receive firmware updates, I thought I'd start more rumours in this thread about how I may have cajoled my car into downloading the new maps here in the UK. I was slightly obsessive! But please bear in mind, I have absolutely no idea whether I was just lucky or if any of these things have any bearing on whether I received these updates.

1. I made sure my car had a good Wifi connection (following all the advice across this forum)
  2. As I always do after a firmware update, when I received 2018.14.2 I rebooted the car. This includes both the main screen (using in the two scroll wheel buttons) while pressing the brake pedal until after the screen re-appears after the Tesla logo and also a separate reboot of instrument cluster screen (top two buttons on the steering wheel)
  3. I also did a complete power down of the car after the reboot (Controls -> E-Brake/Power Off -> Power Off)
  4. I monitored the car's network traffic and after this saw that the car was downloading approximately 300 megabytes per hour. This typically saw the car download data in chunks of about 5-10MB at about 3 megabits per second every 2 minutes or so. There were gaps of no data being transferred for the 2 minutes or so as well.
  5. A number of times I noticed that the car was not downloading anything for a good few hours and at one time the app also would not connect to the car. When this happened I would go to the car and repeat step 2 (and maybe 3) to reboot the car
  6. After 2-3 days about 9GB of data had been downloaded to the car. The car then stopped downloading data for the final time and I went down to the car to reboot again as per 5 and found that the car started a reboot as I entered the car. There was no notification of the new maps update, just the standard release notes. I only realised I had the maps update when I started driving.
  7. And just to completely throw an idea out there, I have also done a large amount of mileage driving across Europe and UK over the last few months. Unfortunately, I don't have any big trips coming up any time soon to test out the new maps!
Hope that helps somebody.
Well I’m going to give this a try. I’ve been on either 2018.12 or 2018.14.2 for 3 weeks now. Maybe it will Work some magic for me.

When my maps came in, I got this:

IMG_2681.jpg

When you are talking about the new maps, just to clarify, are we talking about the Vector Maps?
I believe I have the new maps, but I still have tiles loading when zooming in/out, or moving around...

No the vector maps in the MCU, the maps in the IC screen. Here are a couple of screenshots to identify if you have the old maps or the new ones How do I know if I have the new Tesla maps?

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
I’m from Colorado and I originally reported NO. Yesterday, I got the new map. I went back to edit and I see no such option. Then, I read here that it can be be done by adding again with YES using the same email. Well, I tired that and it’s still showing my original report.

OP: unless you figure out how people can edit their answer, you will end up with a lot of bad data points.

Ok, I'm doing this manually for now :)

Thanks!! I am now checking your map 5 times a day to see if any Michigan users have received the new Map updates rather than checking my router 5 times a day to see if I got a 5 gig download. ;)

Wow, you made my day, thank you!

I finally got around automating the deduplication - not that it was hard just that I went on a small road trip with the family :)

So far I got a total of 266 responses with 248 unique responses. 38% of the people who reported currently have the new navigation.

The map is still heavily US based and there are a few states without any data point. I reached out to the big blogs like Teslarati and Electrek see if they would help me spread the word but I didn't have any luck. If you like the map and are part of other Tesla communities please, help me spread the word!

This is how the map looks like right now

Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 11.07.59 PM.png

I've also added an FAQ below the map to answer common questions like how to update a response, etc. If there are other questions please let me know and I will go update that. I added an acknowledgments section and code to embed the map on other pages.

Again, you folks are awesome, thank you for helping to gather all these data!