Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is on 250gps fiber wifi

Mark Zuckerberg? Is that you??

Anyway, I had my car at the SC last week, and they updated me to 14 and just Tuesday I updated to 14.2. No new maps as of yet, but the loaner I had DID have the new maps and it was on 2018.6, or something similar, if I recall correctly. Definitely a firmware before 10.4. But it had the new MCU, so that could also be a consideration.

• Funny
Reactions: FlyF4
Mark Zuckerberg? Is that you??

Anyway, I had my car at the SC last week, and they updated me to 14 and just Tuesday I updated to 14.2. No new maps as of yet, but the loaner I had DID have the new maps and it was on 2018.6, or something similar, if I recall correctly. Definitely a firmware before 10.4. But it had the new MCU, so that could also be a consideration.

Probably not Mark because his post didn't have that 437 page Facebook privacy disclaimer at the bottom :eek:
So I noted that you got 14.2, but no new maps yet, so I guess that supports the claim that a developer told me map updates are always separate and don't need owner approval to download. Someone thought they were related after 14.

Probably not Mark because his post didn't have that 437 page Facebook privacy disclaimer at the bottom :eek:
So I noted that you got 14.2, but no new maps yet, so I guess that supports the claim that a developer told me map updates are always separate and don't need owner approval to download. Someone thought they were related after 14.

If you know anyone ELSE with 250 gps wifi, you let me know.

Yes, that seems to be the case. In addition, I have been watching my daily download rates through my Google Wifi, and have not noticed any increased activity to the car whatsoever recently. So looks like I'm stuck for now. It was odd to have a loaner car with a significantly older firmware that had the maps pre-loaded, however. So I don't think it is firmware alone that is the deciding factor, but perhaps some of the LTE bandwidth/MCU improvements bundled in .14 and up cars that are a pre-req for new nav on old MCU.

• Informative
Depressingly I searched my router traffic history. My car is radio silent. Almost been 3 weeks since I got 2018.12...
Considering that these updates are usually just minor improvements, I wouldn't worry that you are missing out on any new fabulous features. Frankly speaking, I have never been an early adopter of ANY software / firmware updates. I just wait until other people suffer all the pain of new quirks and bugs that appear and need to get fixed. Sometimes, an update can be worse than the one you have. Example, every new version of Windows that came out, I waited at least 6 months before I moved to it and sometimes I didn't (like Win 8) after hearing all the issues.

So for me, I just sit back and wait and sort of glad I don't get regular updates as fast as anyone else. In fact, I told my tech to please don't update the firmware last time he was here. Let it come down normally.

Considering that these updates are usually just minor improvements, I wouldn't worry that you are missing out on any new fabulous features. Frankly speaking, I have never been an early adopter of ANY software / firmware updates. I just wait until other people suffer all the pain of new quirks and bugs that appear and need to get fixed. Sometimes, an update can be worse than the one you have. Example, every new version of Windows that came out, I waited at least 6 months before I moved to it and sometimes I didn't (like Win 8) after hearing all the issues.

So for me, I just sit back and wait and sort of glad I don't get regular updates as fast as anyone else. In fact, I told my tech to please don't update the firmware last time he was here. Let it come down normally.

After having the new maps for a week on the loaner, I can definitely tell there were a few bugs, at least with my car:

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

After having the new maps for a week on the loaner, I can definitely tell there were a few bugs, at least with my car:

Yes, I got the new maps separately and saw a couple things I didn't like, but overall a great improvement for me. It's the firmware updates that affect driving and car performance that make me hesitant on new updates.

Not impressed. I got the new maps 4 days ago. First use was very pleasant. Liked the look, really liked the verbal instructions as well. Was very impressed. But today I had a terrible experience. On a 10 mile trip to Costco I wanted to show the wife how cool the new map is. I put in Costco and started out. Halfway I have a choice of two nearly equal routes. I decided to take the way not on the program. In the first 4 1/2 miles the map told me to make a U turn over and over. At each intersection we came to it caculated a rout taking me back to the original route. It wasn't until we got within a half mile of Costco it corrected, sort of. . Even then it wanted me to go past a legal simple left turn into Costco but instead wanted me go another half mile, make a U turn and come back to that same driveway. Give me back the old version or let me just use Google. These roads have been here 50 years, This data is not new,

If you know anyone ELSE with 250 gps wifi, you let me know.

Yes, that seems to be the case. In addition, I have been watching my daily download rates through my Google Wifi, and have not noticed any increased activity to the car whatsoever recently. So looks like I'm stuck for now. It was odd to have a loaner car with a significantly older firmware that had the maps pre-loaded, however. So I don't think it is firmware alone that is the deciding factor, but perhaps some of the LTE bandwidth/MCU improvements bundled in .14 and up cars that are a pre-req for new nav on old MCU.
Ha...ha... 250mbps... I think the 250gps was some good old subconscious wishful thinking... or maybe I’ve read too many sci-fi novels...

• Helpful
Reactions: Tez2017
Am more interested at this point in getting *.14(.2) for the media fix(es) - in particular the fix for the Tunein podcasts that have been broken for months) and faster MCU performance in general. I don't have a problem with the Navigon IC UX and have relied upon it many times for the "close quarters work" necessary when exiting highways and such.

That said, in for a penny, in for a pound and it looks like another series of 2 steps forward, 1 step back (see media management post 8.1) now for navigation. Nice to see the proliferation for the maps and the few reports of receiving the map update without having to have wifi.

All of that said, a friend just got another loaner from an SvC this morning (SoCal) and it a) had the old maps and b) had *.12.

And so it goes :).

Reactions: chispas
I'm in Phoenix and I think my car may have tried to get the new maps the other day; I went outside and the car booted slowly, with the dash coming on but no center screen. I've had a slow boot happen before so I started driving anyway. The items on the dash then started to disappear -- bluetooth connection gone (music disappeared), lines on screen for lane markers disappeared, energy meter disappeared. Center screen still wasn't on. Started to get concerned. Dash got very dim. Air conditioning turned off. More concerned... 51,000 miles.

Surprisingly, the center screen then kicked on, and everything got bright on the dash and started working. But an error message appeared saying "Map needs service, navigation did not load" or something like that... even though the maps and navigation were loaded just fine to me, because I was able to use both.

No idea WTF happened there, but maybe a corrupt map update and it reverted itself? Or coincidence...

Oops, I hope you get that sorted out. Have you called Tesla?

Edit: I remember that when I got my maps, like 30 minutes earlier - Ingot in the car and everything was off and took a little bit to wake up. I drove near by for groceries and was after then when at jumping on the car the new maps screens showed up.

Probably the most important feature of the new navigation software is the use of online routing (when connected to the internet). This should eliminate the problem NAV 1.0 has had with using onboard map data that is 2+ years old in some areas. The online routing should be using up-to-date maps.

Plus, Tesla should be able to push out updates to the routing server more quickly than it takes them to distribute software updates to all cars - so we could see improvements to the routing quality relatively quickly.

Now, if I can only get the update sent to my car...