Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably the most important feature of the new navigation software is the use of online routing (when connected to the internet). This should eliminate the problem NAV 1.0 has had with using onboard map data that is 2+ years old in some areas. The online routing should be using up-to-date maps.

Plus, Tesla should be able to push out updates to the routing server more quickly than it takes them to distribute software updates to all cars - so we could see improvements to the routing quality relatively quickly.

Now, if I can only get the update sent to my car...

But they were doing some online routing in the past, correct? I mean, at least they were adding traffic info.

Because they need to work offline - I would be terrible if someone jumps on their car somewhere without signal and they can’t get directions - I think they might be using a hibrid of in your car + online enhancements when possible. Similar to Gmaps when you download a section of the map.

For what I read the improvement is that they now use crow sourced maps and a backend that they have full control off so maps are more accurate and they can improve much faster.

So it doesnt mention anything about options between shortest, fastest, most efficient routes. Doesn't mention anything about waypoints. Doesn't mention anything about option to plan route to include there and back functionality.
I don't think that was the focus. They are doing clearer and more detailed vector displayed maps. This is the start of their new navigation direction. I've only seen my original Volt do shortest, fastest, etc routing. Otherwise I used Toll way on/off :)

More info here: Watch Tesla's much improved Navigation and Maps update in action
I use the several other online tools for my waypoint mapping. I often use (Google) calendar entries if I'm going to multiple places. Picking friends up (house addr), then to a dinner location (restaurant addr). Long roadtrips is use other methods.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I don't think that was the focus. They are doing clearer and more detailed vector displayed maps. This is the start of their new navigation direction. I've only seen my original Volt do shortest, fastest, etc routing. Otherwise I used Toll way on/off :)

More info here: Watch Tesla's much improved Navigation and Maps update in action
I use the several other online tools for my waypoint mapping. I often use (Google) calendar entries if I'm going to multiple places. Picking friends up (house addr), then to a dinner location (restaurant addr). Long roadtrips is use other methods.
I have had multiple cars that do that. I actually thing every car we have had that has navigation has had options for route. Still that isnt what I am really hoping for. I have been pretty happy with nav system. What I really options are more choices along the route like waypoints or skip a SC, allow for entering level of charge when we leave, and tell nav system to take into account we need to return as well.

Reactions: croman
But they were doing some online routing in the past, correct? I mean, at least they were adding traffic info.

Because they need to work offline - I would be terrible if someone jumps on their car somewhere without signal and they can’t get directions - I think they might be using a hibrid of in your car + online enhancements when possible. Similar to Gmaps when you download a section of the map.

For what I read the improvement is that they now use crow sourced maps and a backend that they have full control off so maps are more accurate and they can improve much faster.

NAV 1.0 is using an offline Navigon/Garmin map database (which appears to be over 2 years old in the US), offline TomTom speed limit database (which has many inaccurate and missing speed limits, though there are reports the speed limit database may have been updated recently), online real-time traffic data (which may be coming from Google), and the online Google maps/satellite display for use only on the console display. For routing, the Navigon/Garmin "black box" routing software used only the offline map database, offline speed limit database, and online real-time traffic data for routing.

NAV 2.0 appears to have two options for routing. When "online routing" is enabled and there's a connection, the routing request is sent to a cloud server which should be using up-to-date information to do the routing. If "online routing" is disabled or there isn't a connection, the routing will be done onboard using the offline onboard information - which will provide a route, though will likely not be as accurate because the onboard database will likely be 1 to 2 years out-of-date (depending upon how often Tesla distributes updates).

To achieve EAP/FSD goals, NAV 2.0's online routing will be critical - so the software knows the current location of highway entry/exit ramps and the current location/status of streets & intersections. This will never be achievable using an offline database, because it will be impractical for Tesla to keep every car up-to-date with the most recent maps.

Though... If they were much smarter in the management of the onboard data, they could keep the onboard information up to date. We actually use only a very small amount of the map data each day - usually only an area within a 50 to 100 mile radius of where the car is parked overnight. Tesla could implement an incremental update system that would send only the changed information within this area to each car overnight - and when your car needed information outside of that area, it could request a download of the additional slice of data - which would still be relatively small compared to the maps for an entire region (like the US or North America)...

Is there going to be a way to update my map entry when I finally get the map update. I guess I'm being foolishly optimistic. Here in South Florida I've had 2018.12 for over a week and still no maps.

P.S. I too wish Tesla would add a way to exclude a specific road or highway from a route as well as way points (i.e. superchargers). The "cheapest" 3rd party GPS units have done exclusions and waypoints starting around 2010!! My 2017 Chevy Volt Premier's factory system can do exclusions and waypoints.

Yup, there is nothing new on that front. According to @verygreen the backend is feature full, like waypoints, multiple routes, etc. I assume that they are going to start exposing them through the UI sometime soon, but who knows!
@verygreen was referring to the old Navigon mapping engine - which is the one being replaced by Tesla navigation.

Also, when trying to predict what features Tesla will implement with their nav system, you need to keep in mind that every feature they add or improvement they make is done to make possible FSD. Waypoints, multiple routes, etc. are all great features for someone who is driving their own car. For FSD, the nav system itself will make those decisions, so there is no reason to open those options up to the end user.

For good or bad, we drivers are not Tesla's priority, FSD is.

So it doesnt mention anything about options between shortest, fastest, most efficient routes. Doesnt mention anything about waypoints. Doesnt mention anything about option to plan route to include there and back functionality.
There is NO added functionality. Nothing has changed except the voice and how it looks on the speedo side. It may be more accurate, but there is not a single new feature.

Added mine from South Florida... It seems like there are a lot more new maps on the west coast than the east coast. Maybe it's just more people with Teslas on the west coast skewing the stats a little? I just moved from Los Angeles nine months ago. Maybe I should have stayed :)

My Tesla updated to 2018.12 on 4/13 (Friday the 13th)... My car is on 250gps fiber wifi and still no maps 4 days later.
I had a service appointment on 13 April, of course get home and it downloads and I have an update at 3am on saturday the 14th.... on wednesday driving to work is when the nav update displayed. very similar to others 3-4 days, after the initial update

Is there going to be a way to update my map entry when I finally get the map update. I guess I'm being foolishly optimistic. Here in South Florida I've had 2018.12 for over a week and still no maps.
wow that's insane. I thought once you get 2018.12, the new "maps" updated a few days later.

Is it really new maps tho? seems like just the nav changed, the main map on the MCU hasn't changed. Also, the MCU screen doesn't seem any faster.

First reported nav update in the UK, on MCU1 and 2018.14.2: Firmware update 2018.14.2

Given the generally mystery around how cars are selected to receive firmware updates, I thought I'd start more rumours in this thread about how I may have cajoled my car into downloading the new maps here in the UK. I was slightly obsessive! But please bear in mind, I have absolutely no idea whether I was just lucky or if any of these things have any bearing on whether I received these updates.

1. I made sure my car had a good Wifi connection (following all the advice across this forum)
  2. As I always do after a firmware update, when I received 2018.14.2 I rebooted the car. This includes both the main screen (using in the two scroll wheel buttons) while pressing the brake pedal until after the screen re-appears after the Tesla logo and also a separate reboot of instrument cluster screen (top two buttons on the steering wheel)
  3. I also did a complete power down of the car after the reboot (Controls -> E-Brake/Power Off -> Power Off)
  4. I monitored the car's network traffic and after this saw that the car was downloading approximately 300 megabytes per hour. This typically saw the car download data in chunks of about 5-10MB at about 3 megabits per second every 2 minutes or so. There were gaps of no data being transferred for the 2 minutes or so as well.
  5. A number of times I noticed that the car was not downloading anything for a good few hours and at one time the app also would not connect to the car. When this happened I would go to the car and repeat step 2 (and maybe 3) to reboot the car
  6. After 2-3 days about 9GB of data had been downloaded to the car. The car then stopped downloading data for the final time and I went down to the car to reboot again as per 5 and found that the car started a reboot as I entered the car. There was no notification of the new maps update, just the standard release notes. I only realised I had the maps update when I started driving.
  7. And just to completely throw an idea out there, I have also done a large amount of mileage driving across Europe and UK over the last few months. Unfortunately, I don't have any big trips coming up any time soon to test out the new maps!
Hope that helps somebody.

Last edited:
I’m from Colorado and I originally reported NO. Yesterday, I got the new map. I went back to edit and I see no such option. Then, I read here that it can be be done by adding again with YES using the same email. Well, I tired that and it’s still showing my original report.

OP: unless you figure out how people can edit their answer, you will end up with a lot of bad data points.