Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An interesting observation here, also hinted at in previous posts.

I noticed that those of us that originally received 12.2 are on a different software update path than the general public.
So far the update path is 12.2 -> 15.6 -> 15.8 -> 15.10

The general public receives 12 -> 15 -> 17 ->18

I find it strange to have roughly 15% of us separated from the others for so long. Tesla is testing something.

Some reports elsewhere that 4.15.x containing AP changes, such as driver butt detection and automatic high beam when on AP, along with wiper changes Re: 2021.4.15.8. Not sure if they made it to .4.17 and .4.18

• Informative
Reactions: Mark-R

Some reports elsewhere that 4.15.x containing AP changes, such as driver butt detection and automatic high beam when on AP, along with wiper changes Re: 2021.4.15.8. Not sure if they made it to .4.17 and .4.18
I guess the butt detection was needed following dimwit youtubers trying to drive from the backseat. A dose of phantom braking would have dealt with that.

I haven't quite been keeping up with all the updates in this thread, but don't most (all?) on the 12.2 -> 15.6 -> 15.8 -> 15.10 route have FSD? Are they testing something to do with Nav on Autopilot?

Last edited:
Thanks, that implies its also the 'FSD' release line too that got it with .4.15.8. I didn't spot anything yesterday but wasn't looking out for it. I'll have another chance tomorrow with an eagle eyed passenger.

I wonder if the comment about no autowipers v3 relates to 4.18 or also that it didn't end up in the 4.15.x line either? I've not kept up with what is and what is not on the 15.x line especially with forced auto high beam when on AP/TACC.

Another comment that I noticed was that the 4.15.x line got a new NN but I couldn't find the source to back that up. That may go some way to explain some of the behavioural changes that @Dilly mentioned. I'll give M25/M3 interchange a go tomorrow and see if it changes how it behaves wrt lanes.

My first drive on 4.15.10

tl;dr - mixed bag. Nervous TACC, poor wipers. Probably best AP/NoA experience to date. And voice dial worked for first time for me.

A good day to test the windscreen wipers. #fail - they simply do not know when to stop or slow down when under tree canopy and windscreen has been wiped dry of rain and/or drips. Also on countless occasions, I had to prompt them into action.

TACC on 40mph A road - used because all to easy to drift over the speed limit. Medium rain. #fail Car was spooked by oncoming traffic on far too many occasions and often applying the brakes for no reason and sounding collision warning alert. This started the conversation that it seems to collision warning alert more frequently as of recently. It felt like one of the releases from 2020 where TACC really wasn't happy.

I got stuck in gridlocked traffic so called home to see if there was anything obvious going on. I tried voice calling from contacts list. First time it missed the 'phone' so told me that text messaging was not available (needs iOS 13+) on my phone. It can be forgiven as I am a little hoarse at present. But second time #perfect - got offered on screen a number of alternative numbers which was easy to select by hand as I was stationary - I didn't see if I could continue by voice. This was the first time that voice dialing ever worked for me and I was beginning to think it wasn't supported on my phone.

After @Dilly's comments, I specifically tested NoA on the clockwise M25/south bound M3 intersection. Dry and sunny conditions. #perfect for first time ever apart from speed limits on M3 wrong but I was on scroll wheel speed control so not an issue. Loads of lovely auto lane changes. One did time out/abort after starting the manoeuvre but that was due to a bit of hesitancy with a van also lane changing at similar time - exact details a bit of a blur, but all safely done with no drama.

NoA off M3 at J4, it started well, but AP eventually aborted on the tight anticlockwise off ramp. It was ramping down the speed slowly but no message. It may have been user error as rate of turn for our speed was feeling uncomfortable so I may have been gripping too tight. Lane selection and positioning was good. I have turned off stop line control recently so not sure how it would have behaved at the stop line.

I had one occasion where we passed a dog walker but we were too slow to check the screen to see if it picked up the dog. It picked up a cyclist on the pavement from a decent distance though. Lots of school activity around when we started out, kids on bikes and walking etc. But clearly not a bring your pet to work day.

Reactions: Dilly
My first drive on 4.15.10 - motorway and city:

Not a ha'porth of difference I can see. Phone is still next to useless. When it rings, I just get a red tab on the screen (no green) so can't answer. No one in my contacts list despite multiple 'forget' and 'reconnect' bluetooth attempts - so I can't ring out. FSD/AP is still 'jerky' on the motorway and I just don't bother with off-ramp anymore. In town, cyclists/kids appear on interface - I can't remember if that's new or not. Traffic signals are still hit or miss. The one aspect that is reasonably good is in traffic jams. The car stops and starts reasonably smoothly in traffic but does seem to leave a large gap between itself and the car in front - that might be an incorrect setting by me though. Otherwise, I don't really feel my cars automation is much different to when I picked it up it a year ago this week.