Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.38

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
again, those with the software version - can you check, maybe TACC now is 2 stalk pushes?
I tried, it's not.
Basically, if you enable one press AP, there is no way to get just plain TACC anymore.
I have reverted to double press for that reason.
Sometimes, especially on city roads jams, I like having TACC, but obvs, not Autosteer.

Weird 'feature' from Tesla. Unless you are just doing motorway, in that case it might be useful to save that extra push...

Reactions: yessuz
But then when you need to change lanes without using EAP (eg. more than light traffic, or anyone without EAP) the wheel movement will disengage AP entirely instead of dropping to TACC, making it way more inconvenient... So I'm not sure I'd want it on motorways either.
True. I have EAP so I haven't experienced it in the last two days. And anyway I reverted to the legacy double push...
As @GeorgeSymonds said, I suspect this is simply to put it on par with new models S/X/3Highland where you have a single button press on the steering wheel... But completely botching TACC...

Reactions: goRt
Interestingly the manual has been updated to reflect a stalkless car, so all this talk of stalks is no longer on Tesla's radar (pun intended)

• Autosteer Activation: Choose how to activate Autosteer. If set to Single Click, both Traffic-Aware Cruise Control and Autosteer engage when you single-press the right scroll wheel. If set to Double Click, you must double-press the right scroll wheel to engage Autosteer.
    Note
    Autosteer Activation must be set to Double Click if you want to use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control independently of Autosteer.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
again, those with the software version - can you check, maybe TACC now is 2 stalk pushes?
that is not how it is being reported:
1700823222740.png

I tried, it's not.
Basically, if you enable one press AP, there is no way to get just plain TACC anymore.
I have reverted to double press for that reason.
Sometimes, especially on city roads jams, I like having TACC, but obvs, not Autosteer.

Weird 'feature' from Tesla. Unless you are just doing motorway, in that case it might be useful to save that extra push...
It would probably have made more sense for Tesla to give people the option to swap TACC and AP between one and two pulls, so you don't lose anything.

The BMW equivalent is to have a mode button on the steering wheel and then an activate/deactivate button, its actually fairly intuitive but it does require buttons. The car display tells you which is active. It also has a speed limit function with a button but lets not go there...

When you have lots of options and permutations, the ability to change them when required is a thing, and to do that you need controls of some description, and not everything can be realistically done on the screen whilst driving. The other side to this, especially with all these profile things that dynamically change things dependong on whether it picks up yopur profile, key fob profile or other halves mobile phone profile, is to know whats actually set.

Or.. maybe we need Aston Martins steering wheel

FWkvLJ0X0AIBBha.jpeg

The BMW equivalent is to have a mode button on the steering wheel and then an activate/deactivate button, its actually fairly intuitive but it does require buttons. The car display tells you which is active. It also has a speed limit function with a button but lets not go there...

When you have lots of options and permutations, the ability to change them when required is a thing, and to do that you need controls of some description, and not everything can be realistically done on the screen whilst driving. The other side to this, especially with all these profile things that dynamically change things dependong on whether it picks up yopur profile, key fob profile or other halves mobile phone profile, is to know whats actually set.

Or.. maybe we need Aston Martins steering wheel

View attachment 993442
the most important thing is - in BMW you activate it once and it re-activate after lane change. like EAP but better

I’ve opted for single pull because It suits local driving. Going further afield I would swap back if needed.

A speed limiter must be coming as IIRC it was legislated for new vehicle from some point.

I’d make much greater use of that

Reactions: WllXM
Going back to the autopilot issues since the newer FSD Visualisations came in. I was driving between J26 and J21a on the M6 the other day which is down to 50mph and narrower lanes. I decided that every time autopilot did something stupid and slowed down abruptly when it didn't need to, I'd do the bug report voice command every time.

17 times I had to do it. 17 times in 18 miles roughly, so basically just over once every minute if going at 50mph. Which imo, is a joke.

Reactions: goRt
For those still suffering with the AP braking issue, try turning off AEB from Controls > Autopilot > Automatic Emergency Braking and then turning it back onto the level you want. I tried this in mine last week and did a motorway journey where the lanes were narrow and some vehicles were straying slightly towards me and there was no hesitation or braking. Could have just been the conditions, could just be coincidence - but it’s worth a go.
It'd be great to find out if adjusting controls helps these issues.

Ways to distinguish:
  • Forward Collision Warning has levels (off, late, medium, early). When it activates, it sounds a red alert and highlights the vehicle in front of you in red. It doesn't slow the car.
  • Automatic Emergency Braking is always enabled when you start the car. You can turn it off. No levels. When it activates, it applies the brakes (you can feel the brake pedal go down), displays "Emergency braking in progress," and sounds a "chime." You can override it by turning the steering wheel sharply, or pressing and releasing the brake pedal, or accelerating hard.
  • Phantom braking is the TACC backing off because it sees something (or a mirage) in front. It doesn't happen in manual driving. Pressing the accelerator will override it.