Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.38

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my first Tesla I re-trained my right foot from covering the brake peddle to covering the accelerator. I would wager most people using AutoPilot do the same. When the car does its phantom braking I catch it most of the time before it’s a problem. Instances where it could cause a crash are mitigated. I don’t like my change in behaviour but it’s better than the alternative. Regression in safety….absolutely.

I have had a few occasions where I have been flashed by cars behind when AP has slowed as it's passing cars. Admittedly they were almost certainly driving too close behind and any accident would probably be deemed as their fault, but that's not the point. The M40/A40 and M25 are notoriously bad for tailgaters during rush hour. I only wish I'd have thought to save the dashcam clips... But for the time being, I've stopped using AP when the roads are busy.

So how often has that been recorded?
It's almost impossible to know, without access to all the cameras on the motorway to monitor traffic behaviour.

But having said that, I'm sure you will regularly have come across heavy or even standstill traffic on the motorway that has no apparent reason for being there. The cause of a lot of those unexplained traffic jams is bad drivers hitting the brakes while not paying attention far enough ahead, which causes the snake or compression traffic, or whatever you want to call it.

I very much look forward to a time where no-one will be allowed to self drive on a motorway without a (working) TACC or AP equivalent, or at least in certain lanes. There would be almost no unexpected traffic build-up or accidents... Unfortunately I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime!

I very much look forward to a time where no-one will be allowed to self drive on a motorway without a (working) TACC or AP equivalent, or at least in certain lanes. There would be almost no unexpected traffic build-up or accidents... Unfortunately I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime!

I was privy to some scientifically undertaken simulation results regarding human drivers mixing with autonomous vehicles, including dedicated autonomous vehicle lanes.

The big takeaway that I had was that it only took one human driver mixing with other autonomous vehicles to have a detrimental (and more) effect on the traffic performance indicators that you could achieve from having only autonomous vehicles.

I was privy to some scientifically undertaken simulation results regarding human drivers mixing with autonomous vehicles, including dedicated autonomous vehicle lanes.

The big takeaway that I had was that it only took one human driver mixing with other autonomous vehicles to have a detrimental (and more) effect on the traffic performance indicators that you could achieve from having only autonomous vehicles.
+1 for Skynet

:)

I would wager most people using AutoPilot do the same. When the car does its phantom braking I catch it most of the time before it’s a problem

Yes, I do that ... but ...

Every time I get s slight slowing (can't remember the last time I got a jump-on-the-brakes type phantom brake) I tap the acelerator.

But what about when my Tesla slows for a real emergency, that I have not seen? I'm going to override it and arrive straight at the scene of the accident ... and it will be my fault.

Reactions: NewbieT
So how often has that been recorded?

I get the theoretical (and butt clenching) impact of these phantom brakes, but examples of real world incidents seem awfully light on a forum where people complain almost daily of phantom braking.

Perhaps, and it's just a hypothesis, the car doesn't phantom brake if there is another vehicle close to the rear. ISTR there was talk a long time ago of Tesla's monitoring what was behind the car to avoid (or lessen) rear impacts. Otherwise, I'm stumped as to why there are so few rear end impacts reported.

That's because the instigators have left the scene and are long gone when the traffic cops arrive

I’ve also read that ‘seeding’ human driver traffic with autonomous vehicles improves traffic flow and reduces pulsing, even at only 5% of total vehicles. Obviously both statements can be true, but we’ll see the latter before the former.

Study shows autonomous vehicles can help improve traffic flow

I’ve also read that ‘seeding’ human driver traffic with autonomous vehicles improves traffic flow and reduces pulsing, even at only 5% of total vehicles. Obviously both statements can be true, but we’ll see the latter before the former.

Study shows autonomous vehicles can help improve traffic flow

Having the car automatically sit half way between follow car and following car would dramatically traffic throughput on busy roads.

The simulation I was in discussion about was using driving styles that for a human would be highly dangerous even if they did have the skill to achieve. I’m talking about techniques such as high speed platooning with couple of tens of cm’s between cars. This would give significant performance and efficiency increases. Another example, that a competent human could achieve with relevant in car V2I communication would be green waving, where cars could drive at a set constant speed through traffic lights without having to stop/slow for phases. Only takes one human to muck that one up. Our traffic lights supported that information quite a few years ago but I have yet to see anything other than a few ad-hoc trials using that technology.

do you think that the user settings for single tap TACC/AP might open up the possibility of adding an additional user option for speed limiter? ie speed limiter or tacc and/or autosteer.

I’m not familiar with the new change and what, if any, is implemented now to know how things have changed UI wise.