Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folkestone is useless though unless you are travelling to France - you cannot use it. There are also chargers at the other side of the tunnel so don't really understand their logic.
I think the chargers in Calais are the same as the one in Folkestone - you can only access them once you’re checked in to travel through the Chunnel, so Folkestone if your going to France, and Calais if you’re coming home.

Yes that's true Roy, You have to be travelling through the terminal to charge and cannot go in and charge then come out.

There's two sites at Calais - one inside the terminal, symmetric with the one in Folkestone, both available only to departing passengers, but also one at a hotel outside the Calais terminal site, accessible to anybody whether using the tunnel or not.

The outside one was actually there first; it was one of the early supercharger sites with only two stalls and I'm not sure if it has since been expanded (and I'm not in the car to check).

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
There's two sites at Calais - one inside the terminal, symmetric with the one in Folkestone, both available only to departing passengers, but also one at a hotel outside the Calais terminal site, accessible to anybody whether using the tunnel or not.

The outside one was actually there first; it was one of the early supercharger sites with only two stalls and I'm not sure if it has since been expanded (and I'm not in the car to check).

Looking at the map it says there are 3 at Calais but looks like 2 are for passengers only (2+6 stalls) and the other has 8 stalls at the hotel

Seems like nobody wants to add that many fast chargers in Wales!

I hope they do something about the "Light blue = 2 stalls" soon as starting to see queues of model 3s when all the other stall are empty and that is off peak.

I went walking in Snowdonia yesterday. Left with 89% battery, did 228 miles and had 6% left when I got home. Did the last few motorway miles at 45mph to save energy! PlugShare shows there are very few public chargers of any variety in Snowdonia.

I'm mid wales and the desert is a nusiance..specially since I got my S last year before i recognised 'tesla time' and there were promises of superchargers for aberystwyth and the north coast road by the end 2018.
Looking briefly at zapmap there's couple of engenie chargers on the north coast road on simple card pay (albeit 36p/Kwh). Any trip west of me and I top up to near 100% before going - a matter of timing things for a sesible start time without the battery staying fully charged for long before departure. Winter losses make it more challenging.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I went walking in Snowdonia yesterday. Left with 89% battery, did 228 miles and had 6% left when I got home. Did the last few motorway miles at 45mph to save energy! PlugShare shows there are very few public chargers of any variety in Snowdonia.
I do most of my commuting in wales. My most common journey of 120 miles does not pass a single fast charger of any description.
I realise that that does not sound like too much of an issue but given the possible scenarios of winter/rain/headwind/only charging to 80%/degradation/driving it like I stole it up and down hills. I ordered an LR

I do most of my commuting in wales. My most common journey of 120 miles does not pass a single fast charger of any description.
I realise that that does not sound like too much of an issue but given the possible scenarios of winter/rain/headwind/only charging to 80%/degradation/driving it like I stole it up and down hills. I ordered an LR

I can tell you from experience that hills and corners eat electrons in Wales especially winter warm-up usage added on top and heating. My short trip into town and back to buy milk and a paper can easily use 450wh/m in my S at 30mph for those few miles. Longer winter journeys through hills when it's had time to warm up and still 400+wh/m.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
50DA3447-BF96-4F9D-B260-12CF4C9F4564.jpeg

Live from Grantham Supercharger.

what do you mean you can only see one stall so what’s the point of the photo?

Reactions: Roy W. and DJP31
Thought I would document the progress at Hunton Park (Mercure London North Watford, Hunton Park Hotel, Essex Lane WD4 8PN). This is beleived to be the so-called 'Leavesdon' site.

On the Supercharger side - still no sign. In fact nothing seems to have happened since my first visit about 8 weeks ago.
The weeds though are steadily developing, I am beginning to fear that the site could be lost to nature in due course.
Picture taken today, 30 Sept 2019. The Model S seen not charging on the left is mine.

IMG_3111.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc and Roy W.
In fact nothing seems to have happened since my first visit about 8 weeks ago.

SuperchargerInfo has a "Construction started" date of February, so i presume something has gone wrong. There have been far too many projects where greedy-landlord ransomed Tesla for a wayleave, Fat Cable install was delayed/never happened, and so on. Might be Tesla's fault, but personally I doubt that.