Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very true. We could do with a few more sites in the north to be honest. Gretna, Tebay and just one in Newcastle. Isn't a lot really.
Sure I read a new one has been or is being started in Newcastle near the tesla service centre. Hopefully that's true
M6 / M74 looks like it may eventually be well-catered for once everything that is planned to be built is built and actually switched on, but there's still too much pressure on Washington & Scotch Corner on the North-East A1 route. Supercharge.info shows permits have been found for Durham, Bowburn, Hartlepool, and Newcastle - Holystone & Gateshead. If anyone is knows if construction has started at any of these sites that would be more encouraging.

Likewise, does anyone know if anything is happening at the site in Moffat just off the M74? Looks like a council-ran car-park with some CPS chargers - a bit like Fort William.

Facebook TOUK Group has posted photos of a completed, but waiting for switch on, build of 12 V4s at the Barnsley M1 J38 Old Post Office Pub, so I'm adding that to my construction list:

In the bag (just needs switch-on?):
  • Gretna Services [Expansion]
  • Exeter SC
  • Sheffield Meadowhall (Retail Park)
  • Birch Services East/West
  • Preston South (Holiday Inn)
  • Manchester Old Trafford (Retail Park)
  • Manchester Central SC
  • South Mimms Services [Expansion]
  • London Gateway Services
  • Barnsley M1 J38 (Old Post Office Pub)
Construction close to finished (all equipment in place):
  • Newport Pagnell North Services
  • Milton Keynes SC
Construction well underway (some equipment in place):
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
Early stages construction (awaiting equipment delivery):
  • Abington Services [Expansion]
  • Burtonwood Services [Expansion]
  • Gretna Caledonia Park (Retail Park)
  • Bradford (Cedar Court Hotel)
  • Glasgow SC
  • Bar Hill SC
Pre-construction (site fenced off, nothing happening):
  • Tamworth Services
Possibly under construction (no evidence yet):
  • Bournemouth SC
  • Bournemouth Ferndown Golf Club
Possible expansions (unconfirmed):
  • Newport Pagnell South Services [Expansion]
  • Sarn Park Services [Expansion]
Unconfirmed as SuC site?:
  • Truro - Treliske (Retail Park)

Any idea of a timeline on Taunton?

Likewise, does anyone know if anything is happening at the site in Moffat just off the M74?

No sign of anything happening in Moffat when I last drove through a few weeks ago. Planning permission for 8 Superchargers was approved by Dumfries and Galloway Council in July 2023. There are existing charging points already in the car park (ChargePlaceScotland) so there is power to the site but whether it's sufficient I don't know.

Reactions: zexpe
M6 / M74 looks like it may eventually be well-catered for once everything that is planned to be built is built and actually switched on, but there's still too much pressure on Washington & Scotch Corner on the North-East A1 route. Supercharge.info shows permits have been found for Durham, Bowburn, Hartlepool, and Newcastle - Holystone & Gateshead. If anyone is knows if construction has started at any of these sites that would be more encouraging.

Likewise, does anyone know if anything is happening at the site in Moffat just off the M74? Looks like a council-ran car-park with some CPS chargers - a bit like Fort William.
Hartlepool & Gateshead are Gridserve electric forecourts. A bunch of these had planning permission years ago but the rollout of these is glacially slow so not quite the 50 sites by 2025 they claimed, Nothing happening yet and I think the best to expect is these maybe in a few years.

Reactions: zexpe
Facebook TOUK Group has posted photos of a completed, but waiting for switch on, build of 12 V4s at the Barnsley M1 J38 Old Post Office Pub, so I'm adding that to my construction list:

In the bag (just needs switch-on?):
  • Gretna Services [Expansion]
  • Exeter SC
  • Sheffield Meadowhall (Retail Park)
  • Birch Services East/West
  • Preston South (Holiday Inn)
  • Manchester Old Trafford (Retail Park)
  • Manchester Central SC
  • South Mimms Services [Expansion]
  • London Gateway Services
  • Barnsley M1 J38 (Old Post Office Pub)
Construction close to finished (all equipment in place):
  • Newport Pagnell North Services
  • Milton Keynes SC
Construction well underway (some equipment in place):
  • Rugby (Retail Park)
  • Stevenage (Gridserve)
Early stages construction (awaiting equipment delivery):
  • Abington Services [Expansion]
  • Burtonwood Services [Expansion]
  • Gretna Caledonia Park (Retail Park)
  • Bradford (Cedar Court Hotel)
  • Glasgow SC
  • Bar Hill SC
Pre-construction (site fenced off, nothing happening):
  • Tamworth Services
Possibly under construction (no evidence yet):
  • Bournemouth SC
  • Bournemouth Ferndown Golf Club
Possible expansions (unconfirmed):
  • Newport Pagnell South Services [Expansion]
  • Sarn Park Services [Expansion]
Unconfirmed as SuC site?:
  • Truro - Treliske (Retail Park)
Breaking news: Exeter SC is switched on...

Has any site that wasn’t in progress starting to progress since Tesla fired the Supercharger team? I think they planned to finish ones they’d already made progress on but possible those with just planning approved but no work won’t progress anymore.
Hard to say, as we don't know for sure when construction actually began at many sites... but my list was designed to help spot this - identifying ones that we knew were already under construction or waiting to be switched on, so these being opened was only to be expected really.

Musk's tweet was 30th April. The most recent builds to start were Glasgow SC (8th April), Bar Hill SC (though not certain yet whether work on the SuC has started - they are building the SC and SuC right now), Bradford (no idea when they broke ground), Gretna Caledonia Park (first digger photos were 12th May, but they may have started earlier). Barnsley & Newport Pagnell North builds snuck up on us a bit, but they must have started earlier.

Hard to say, as we don't know for sure when construction actually began at many sites... but my list was designed to help spot this - identifying ones that we knew were already under construction or waiting to be switched on, so these being opened was only to be expected really.

Musk's tweet was 30th April. The most recent builds to start were Glasgow SC (8th April), Bar Hill SC (though not certain yet whether work on the SuC has started - they are building the SC and SuC right now), Bradford (no idea when they broke ground), Gretna Caledonia Park (first digger photos were 12th May, but they may have started earlier). Barnsley & Newport Pagnell North builds snuck up on us a bit, but they must have started earlier.
OK thought it might be too soon to tell. Thanks for all your work on this, will keep an eye on it as curious if once these in progress get completed if it'll really start to slow down. They might for instance have decided that Europe has more competition so they don't need to build as many vs the US where the Supercharger network seems more like a monopoly at the moment.

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 18.53.07.png

Hartlepool & Gateshead are Gridserve electric forecourts. A bunch of these had planning permission years ago but the rollout of these is glacially slow so not quite the 50 sites by 2025 they claimed, Nothing happening yet and I think the best to expect is these maybe in a few years.
Not just slow, but in the case of Bromborough it's been postponed indefinitely? Somebody wrote to Gridserve about this site and got this response:

"We understand your disappointment upon observing no visible progress at the site this morning. Please know that we share your frustration.
At this moment, we regret to inform you that we do not have a specific timeline for the opening of the GRIDSERVE site in Bromborough."

Reactions: Rovastar