Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, I don’t disagree on that one. Putting in 150+ 7kw chargers would have been a better use of the money and grid capacity in that location being a medium stay car park. Most people are going to be there for a few hours.
well, maybe not 150, but 20 or so of 7kW, or even 22kW chargers would be much better investment.

most people will arrive there more or less from home or within what, 10 mile driving distance? Why would you charge for 5 times higher cost than at home, even if it will take 5 minutes?
I'd rather drop my car there for an hour or two, it would charge while I am shopping and no idle fees when it's fully charged.
100+ kw supercharger there makes absolutely no sense. they will be empty most of the time.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
WELL, that's the point - it is in paid shopping centre parking, In city centre which is not entirely convenient.

dunno, that's my POV
Would agree here. As someone else mentioned Westfield is so close to park royal: PR right off the main road and convenient and v3. Westfield ones are weird: if you take the time and effort to drive to that place, you're going to spend hours there. PIA to have to move your car after 30 mins. Destination chargers would be WAY better at city centre shopping centres.

well, maybe not 150, but 20 or so of 7kW, or even 22kW chargers would be much better investment.
20 just wouldn’t be enough to make and long term sense, you’ll want them all to load balance so you can get away with a smaller dried connection too.

There is a shopping centre in Oxford that has 45 type 2 chargers, when I went there last Saturday and actually needed to charge, they were rammed (a few were ICE’d). I managed to get one but there were probably another 20-30 EVs charged in adjacent bays not charging but clearly went to that section of the car park with the indention of doing so.

That’s in 2022, where EVs are a fraction of the cars on the road.

Reactions: yessuz
20 just wouldn’t be enough to make and long term sense, you’ll want them all to load balance so you can get away with a smaller dried connection too.

There is a shopping centre in Oxford that has 45 type 2 chargers, when I went there last Saturday and actually needed to charge, they were rammed (a few were ICE’d). I managed to get one but there were probably another 20-30 EVs charged in adjacent bays not charging but clearly went to that section of the car park with the indention of doing so.

That’s in 2022, where EVs are a fraction of the cars on the road.
tru

The Fastned canopies are coming on at Oxford Redbridge park and ride charging hub. No Tesla equipment on site yet but the land has now been fenced off and ground clearance has taken place
A5A33214-5392-424B-9DED-433A9A5BBBDE.jpeg
10A7D634-40B3-4ED5-95BE-F105C4D7658C.jpeg

WELL, that's the point - it is in paid shopping centre parking, In city centre which is not entirely convenient.

dunno, that's my POV
The beauty is that if you disagree with the location of some superchargers and choose not to use them then you will still benefit from them as other drivers do use them and they are therefore diverted away from ones you might want to use. Westfield does get very busy so there are definitely groups of customers that find the location useful, potentially due to a lack of off-street charging at home. The key thing here is that Tesla will want to take advantage of any host site they can get their hands on to try and keep up with the number of Teslas hitting the road, so even if they are not their perfect choice of site they still increase the network capacity, and are highly unlikely to ever be put in instead of other sites, always as well as.

Reactions: Jason71
But that's th
The beauty is that if you disagree with the location of some superchargers and choose not to use them then you will still benefit from them as other drivers do use them and they are therefore diverted away from ones you might want to use. Westfield does get very busy so there are definitely groups of customers that find the location useful, potentially due to a lack of off-street charging at home. The key thing here is that Tesla will want to take advantage of any host site they can get their hands on to try and keep up with the number of Teslas hitting the road, so even if they are not their perfect choice of site they still increase the network capacity, and are highly unlikely to ever be put in instead of other sites, always as well as.
But that's the point.
You get charged for overstaying SC.
You will not go there for Shopping and will drop car for a charge while you shop.

Reactions: Neilio and browellm
... and it's only a few pence either way ... I can't imagine many (any?) circumstances where the cost would have any bearing on my choice of where to Supercharge.
Depending on which supercharger, it's not just a few pence. I stopped at the Heathrow chargers on my way back to Bath from London last night, because it was 20p kWh. The nav wanted me to charge at Membury where it's 37p kWh - nearly double.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
just wanted to ask the question about it... :D

but by the way - it is not shown in the tesla website "supercharger map" Find Us | Tesla
View attachment 756991
I used Derby superchargers yesterday. They’re in the multi-story car park so undercover! My M3 sat-nav included them in my route. You have to go through barriers to enter and leave car park and exit barrier tried to charge me for the stay. I dialled for assistance and questioned this and the lady said you do not pay for parking so wiped the cost

I used Derby superchargers yesterday. They’re in the multi-story car park so undercover! My M3 sat-nav included them in my route. You have to go through barriers to enter and leave car park and exit barrier tried to charge me for the stay. I dialled for assistance and questioned this and the lady said you do not pay for parking so wiped the cost
What level are they on? Are they well signposted when you’re in there? (Edit: @yessuz says level 4)

exactly.. it makes little to no sense to set it there. really awkward and bad place.
because not only it is paid to get in and out, but you also have to drive deep into town.

I am sure they could put that supercharger at some services or something at either A50, A38, A6, M1 or so on...

Another SC is actually in Tesla Nottingham which is also convenient only for people who live in Notts

exactly.. it makes little to no sense to set it there. really awkward and bad place.
because not only it is paid to get in and out, but you also have to drive deep into town.

I am sure they could put that supercharger at some services or something at either A50, A38, A6, M1 or so on...

Another SC is actually in Tesla Nottingham which is also convenient only for people who live in Notts
These chargers were never on the map. Tesla did a deal with the owner of a whole series of shopping centres to put in mainly older V2's. May have been a very good deal for Tesla.
Centre wanted them to attract more "rich" customers no doubt.
Tesla , the more superchargers the better.
Drivers the more the better.

So its win win win.

However IF Tesla now don't install chargers in another nearby more convenient location because of these then that is different but we have no evidence that that is or will be the case.
They installed in Cribbs despite having Lysander and Gordano just down the road. So in my mind these are extra and not going to look a gift horse in the mouth even if its not the best gift ever.
I was happy to go to Cribbs and get some lunch on a road trip in July when Gordano was rammed and Lysander has no facilities. Yes I had to use the loo then go back to the car for 10 minutes and then move it while my wife found somewhere to eat and get a table. And yes I had to run the gauntlet of John Lewis without her buying anything but it was still a good location for us on that occasion.

Reactions: cezdoc