Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The actual regs are unequivocal.

The web page is above is not the actual regulation, but a digestible summary - as the title suggests - it is merely 'guidance'.

"You should read this guidance alongside the regulations."

Actual regulation below:

PART 2

Payment requirements

Contactless payment

5.—(1) For a new public charge point with a power of 8 kilowatts or above, a charge point operator must, within one year from the date on which these Regulations come into force, ensure that a person using that charge point is able to pay by contactless payment to charge an electric vehicle.

(2) For a rapid charge point in operation before the date on which these Regulations come into force, a charge point operator must, within one year from the date on which these Regulations come into force, ensure that a person using that charge point is able to pay by contactless payment to charge an electric vehicle.

(3) Where an existing charge point becomes a public charge point after the coming into force of these Regulations, a charge point operator must, within one year from the date on which the charge point becomes a public charge point, ensure that a person using that charge point is able to pay by contactless payment to charge an electric vehicle.

(4) In this regulation—

(a)“contactless payment” means a payment made at a contactless payment terminal using the contactless payment facility of a payment card that does not require the payer to have entered into a pre-existing contract with the charge point operator;

(b)“existing charge point” means a charge point with a power of 8 kilowatts or above in operation before these Regulations come into force;

(c)“new public charge point” means a public charge point installed after the coming into force of these Regulations.

Following the above post I think this discussion is now pretty much over!

This is the best site for roadworks in Scotland: Scottish Road Works Online

Shame this info isn’t sent to the car’s navigation system automatically. A lot of people will arrive at the junction unaware that they would have been better off exiting a junction earlier…
Thanks for that site reference. This seems to be what is says:

IMG_4721.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc
Does anyone know if the Destination Chargers are still in action at Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking? ZapMap/Plugshare have them listed, on Street View I can see them attached to some wooden post next to what appears to be a relatively new SC site, but Tesla doesn't list them.

We're there for a wedding in a few weeks so it would be good to know if I can charge FOC or if i'll need to use the SC's.

Another Cedar Court Hotel SuC site. This time at J39 of the M1 (Wakefield).

There’s one about to go live at J38 too, so it won’t add much coverage but a lot more capacity in the area.
Planning link:
Wakefield Council Planning Applications - Ref 24/00932/FUL
Development of 15no. electric vehicle charging points along with supporting equipment cabinets, substation infrastructure and soft landscaping.
Cedar Court Hotel Car Park, Denby Dale Road, Calder Grove, Wakefield, WF4 3QZ
Received 30-May-2024, Validated 26-Jun-24, currently awaiting decision

Planning link:
Wakefield Council Planning Applications - Ref 24/00932/FUL
Development of 15no. electric vehicle charging points along with supporting equipment cabinets, substation infrastructure and soft landscaping.
Cedar Court Hotel Car Park, Denby Dale Road, Calder Grove, Wakefield, WF4 3QZ
Received 30-May-2024, Validated 26-Jun-24, currently awaiting decision
Looking at the application, these are going to be V4s open to all EVs.

Newport Pagnell North are all drive-through style. About the only way it can work with the cramped car park, but ominously suggests they're opening them to other manufacturers. 250kW V3.
It’s welcome break, they are closed V3’s by design. AppleGreen owns welcome break and they are building their own charging network.

The only reason Tesla are able to build closed V3’s is because it’s mutually beneficial and that’s only because the vast majority of Tesla owners basically ignore anything that’s not a super charger. They’d rather take the rent and have Tesla owners at least spend something in the services than them going else where and getting nothing.

Both Tesla and Apple Green with have tons of data which confirm this.

Are there any drive through chargers a) in the UK, b) on the M6/M5 corridor? I've got a country length tow to do in a couple of weeks and I realised I wasn't sure if we even have any to aim for!

Looking like tebay and a.n.other in the absence of other options.
M5 Frankley Southbound
M6 Hilton Park North and Southbound
M6 Keele North and Southbound (probably better to go a bit further off the motorway to Trentham)
M6 Charnock Richard Northbound (though was offline when we went up at the weekend)

Are there any drive through chargers a) in the UK, b) on the M6/M5 corridor? I've got a country length tow to do in a couple of weeks and I realised I wasn't sure if we even have any to aim for!

Looking like tebay and a.n.other in the absence of other options.
What are you towing?

those sites that have chargers that you can drive between, are still not exactly geared up for towing. It IS VERY tight getting a trailer between the bays, particularly if there are cars parked in the bays opposite. If your trailer is longer than 6m (inc the A-frame) you’ll be hanging out the back of the bay blocking the road.

Source: I’ve tried it with a caravan which is only 6M long. Just be prepared to unhitch is all I’m saying.

Make sure you take a hitch lock with you as a minimum and ideally a wheel lock also. Service stations are prime targets for thieves nicking unsecured trailers, particularly caravans. Even with locks on, they can be gone in 5 minutes and no one will stop them on your behalf.