Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have on several occasions used 'safety' as a justification for their decision to switch from USS to Vision based solutions in their responses to me so perhaps direct your question to them?!

"Safety is at the core of our design and engineering decisions...."

Just like with radar. We don’t needed it. Just conflicts with the cameras. Which is all we need.

Or now we’re told the high def radar, which is back, is a different story.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Just like with radar. We don’t needed it. Just conflicts with the cameras. Which is all we need.

....the most important of which for reversing being the centre mounted camera on the rear of the car which, in my case, at this time of year, is unusable after just 15 minutes of driving!

Last edited:

"Radar is not as safe as vision. Except THIS radar, which is."

I wonder how the Spinmaster General Musk is going to spin the inevitable return of USS when his engineers find they can't get vision to perform parking tasks?

Yeah, software development doesn’t work like that.
Yes they all want a washing machine, sofa or hoover not the 21st century mode of transport. It was laughable someone mentioned here that once they’ve bought the vehicle it is theirs and Tesla has no right to change using software updates. Even in early 90s my windows computer had antivirus and software updates over the air after buying the PC. And the worst thing is when they know that these type of type of cars don’t suit them they still go and buy them.

• Funny
Reactions: boombap and CWT3LR
Yes they all want a washing machine, sofa or hoover not the 21st century mode of transport. It was laughable someone mentioned here that once they’ve bought the vehicle it is theirs and Tesla has no right to change using software updates. Even in early 90s my windows computer had antivirus and software updates over the air after buying the PC. And the worst thing is when they know that these type of type of cars don’t suit them they still go and buy them.
Thanks for very neatly describing why the Tesla model is doomed.

Except that's complete bollocks. You have estimates and if don't meet them you have to deal with very pissed off steakholders to explain why you were completely off with your estimates.
1677930207578.png

Reactions: asl3312 and Midpack
A big part of good software development is estimating how long something is going to take and consistently delivering on that.

Sales teams need to know release dates well in advance. Support needs to be trained. Lots of stuff. You can't just handwave 'it'll be done when it's done'.

Musk is utterly terrible at estimates. So seems to have stopped giving them at all.. which is actually far worse.

I’m sure you think it’s a genius move on the part of Tesla to remove a paid for feature with no replacement in sight.

Until there’s a replacement don’t remove USS.
Genius? No.
Pragmatic? Sure.

As mentioned previously, I had a USS failure on my old 3 and there are several threads on this forum and elsewhere right now with others also suffering from park assist not available problems due to sensor issues. They were an unreliable part that fail far more regularly than is ideal and the solution often requires a hardware replacement of the USS controller.

I’ve had a Y without USS for several months now and it really isn’t a problem. Haven’t curbed a wheel or scratched a bumper at all. It’s really not worth getting your panties in a knot over. Given the choice between no USS or another potential service centre trip to fix them when they break, I’d take no sensors every time.

Last edited:
Except that's complete bollocks. You have estimates and if don't meet them you have to deal with very pissed off steakholders to explain why you were completely off with your estimates.
So as a stakeholder if they had an estimate of February and then missed it, yourself and all the other pearl clutchers would still be outraged, so there’s zero benefit.

I work in software dev, a decade ago you’d have a project manager who would spend ages gathering requirements with analysts and creating a thousand page project document and a plan (aka: the big lie) with an estimate of 6 month or a year and then be late anyway because the numbers are always pulled out of their or someone else’s arses and never catch all the dependencies or unknown unknowns anyway.

Now most competent organisations don’t do that anymore because it’s a waste of everyone’s time. Instead we identify the big rocks and break things down in continuous planning and delivery cycles, then ship, then test, then improve and repeat. Which is exactly what Tesla have been doing with the vision replacement running in shadow mode. They could tell you it’ll be ready next sprint but they’d be lying because the truth is nobody knows until they test it and discover the bug that was fixed didn’t introduce another.

If Elon said ”two weeks” that’d also be meaningless and people get pissed about that kind of statement for FSD too. So you can choose between an estimate that’ll probably be wrong, or a vague “coming soon“ and they’re both exactly as meaningful and informative as one another.

You don’t have to like it, but it’s true.

Yeah, software development doesn’t work like that.

Lol!

For a reasonable company it only makes any sense that they dropped the old hardware, disabled paid features but continued to sell them, and promised only a short gap period if they were very far along with the solution. They'd have to fully understand the task, understand the path to a solution and be well along it - problem fundamentally solved, system working, just finishing touches and some final verification testing to do. If that was the case they should absolutely be able to give a timeline and have a good chance of meeting it.

The fact the gap has been 5 months and counting and they are still being vague with no timeline offered, and making statements with the same language they use for FSD/robotaxis, suggests a far worse reality - that in fact this started with a memo from the top simply saying 'we aren't fitting USS anymore, you need to do it with the cameras, get to work' and they have no idea when or even if they can solve it. They are essentially engaged in a research project. If that's the case this shambles is only getting worse.

Lol!

For a reasonable company it only makes any sense that they dropped the old hardware, disabled paid features but continued to sell them, and promised only a short gap period if they were very far along with the solution. They'd have to fully understand the task, understand the path to a solution and be well along it - problem fundamentally solved, system working, just finishing touches and some final verification testing to do. If that was the case they should absolutely be able to give a timeline and have a good chance of meeting it.

The fact the gap has been 5 months and counting and they are still being vague with no timeline offered, and making statements with the same language they use for FSD/robotaxis, suggests a far worse reality - that in fact this started with a memo from the top simply saying 'we aren't fitting USS anymore, you need to do it with the cameras, get to work' and they have no idea when or even if they can solve it. They are essentially engaged in a research project. If that's the case this shambles is only getting worse.
Right and the vision solution is part of the same v11 FSD stack which moves from the almost 5 year old legacy single camera implementation to using them all at once to map the car in 3D space.

v11 is close, it was expected to ship at the end of last year but it’s a massive change and was delayed by unanticipated bugs, then NHTSA in the US demanded further changes and a recall which has delayed it further while they fix those issues which also wasn’t foreseen.

You cant just separate the parking part and ship that when it’s fundamentally tied to the rest of v11 and they don’t have a crystal ball for recalls or bugs, so *sugar* happens sometimes. Not a big deal. certainly not big enough to cancel an order over a trivial piece of equipment that only gets used about 1% of the time you’re interacting with the vehicle while it’s traveling under 5mph and about a meter away from an object.

I’ve had a Y without USS for several months now and it really isn’t a problem. Haven’t curbed a wheel or scratched a bumper at all. It’s really not worth getting your panties in a knot over. Given the choose between no USS or another potential service centre trip to fix them when they break, I’d take no sensors every time.
So have I and I agree that it hasn't been a problem but I fully understand why so many people are annoyed.

My wife has become paranoid about reversing as she relied on the sensors in our Model 3 and for her it's completely taken the shine off of the Model Y or any future Tesla ownership. I suspect there will be a lot like her.

Reactions: Rob60