Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Forum

I am considering canceling my order of a QuickSilver Model Y LR due to the lack of USS (UltraSonic Sensors) and radar (for ACC/Autopilot)...

I have had parking sensors on all the cars I have owned for over 20 years (VW/Alfa Romeo/Opel/Audi/Volvo) and even from a lot of lower price ranges. To me, the lack of parking sensors is unacceptable on a > 60K car and if you hear around I'm far from the only one who has a problem with this.

Aside of that, this Tesla Vision system (without radar/lidar/USS and only based on cameras) I still have yet to see work in conditions with poor visibility such as fog, snowfall, heavy rainfall. I just drove back from Austria in one of our cars, a Volvo XC60 from... 2011 (!)... with lidar and radar and the automatic cruise control (ACC) worked flawlessly in conditions of fog and heavy rainfall, even snowfall. How Tesla thinks to solve this through cameras alone is a complete mystery to me. And indeed, it seems Autopilot doesn't work in conditions with limited visibility.

In addition, the camera system replacing USS has a huge blind spot in the front of the car. i.e. an object that is too high for your bumper simply cannot be seen by the camera(s), so you will not receive any warnings ...

Many will disagree with me, but this is a show stopper for me driven only by cost savings rather than progress/improvement.

How does this company expects me to buy a car at a >60K price tag that has fewer features than one of my 11 year old cars with radar+lidar+USS that costed a lot less?

What's your advice? Cancel or put the order on hold?
Sounds like you have made your mind up already and are looking for somebody to offer up some solution that isn't available I'm afraid!
Going based on what you have written my answer would be to cancel.
I'm the opposite, I know I will not have USS when delivered but still going ahead, all depends on personal circumstances.

Just to offer my take on this, when I learned that USS was not going to be provided I asked several times for evidence, even on another Tesla model or with beta software that there was going to be a replacement technology that was competent using only the cameras. No evidence was provided. My order has been cancelled.

I already have a 2019 M3SR+ and it is a remarkable car, and of course it has USS which I personally use a lot.

Of course everybody must decide for themselves.

Reactions: Aggs18 and CWT3LR
Hi Forum

I am considering canceling my order of a QuickSilver Model Y LR due to the lack of USS (UltraSonic Sensors) and radar (for ACC/Autopilot)...

I have had parking sensors on all the cars I have owned for over 20 years (VW/Alfa Romeo/Opel/Audi/Volvo) and even from a lot of lower price ranges. To me, the lack of parking sensors is unacceptable on a > 60K car and if you hear around I'm far from the only one who has a problem with this.

Aside of that, this Tesla Vision system (without radar/lidar/USS and only based on cameras) I still have yet to see work in conditions with poor visibility such as fog, snowfall, heavy rainfall. I just drove back from Austria in one of our cars, a Volvo XC60 from... 2011 (!)... with lidar and radar and the automatic cruise control (ACC) worked flawlessly in conditions of fog and heavy rainfall, even snowfall. How Tesla thinks to solve this through cameras alone is a complete mystery to me. And indeed, it seems Autopilot doesn't work in conditions with limited visibility.

In addition, the camera system replacing USS has a huge blind spot in the front of the car. i.e. an object that is too high for your bumper simply cannot be seen by the camera(s), so you will not receive any warnings ...

Many will disagree with me, but this is a show stopper for me driven only by cost savings rather than progress/improvement.

How does this company expects me to buy a car at a >60K price tag that has fewer features than one of my 11 year old cars with radar+lidar+USS that costed a lot less?

What's your advice? Cancel or put the order on hold?
I’d cancel and wait

Reactions: Aggs18
Waiting for how long? If/when HW4 is available & reintroduces radar it will most likely stay with Models S & X for a long time before appearing in 3s and Ys... if at all.

I say this as someone who owns my second Tesla, a Model Y. The first, a 3 had radar which was later disabled (didn't notice any difference) & USS which was 'just' there, like any other car in recent years. The Y has none and has now covered the best part of 3000 miles & maybe it's because I was already very familiar with the shape and extremities but I have had absolutely no issue parking anywhere, even being able to stop within an inch or so of anything in front. Yes I do have a small spray bottle and cloth in the door bin to periodically spay & wipe the rear camera, something we certainly shouldn't need to do with a £60k car but I rather like so many other aspects of ownership that I can live with that.

If other marques had the convenience of the supercharger network, the range and efficiency and numerous other aspects (including that I still have several thousand 'free' supercharger miles carried over from the first car) I would have probably looked elsewhere before ordering a Y & will most likely do so 'next time'.

For me - great cars, pretty terrible company. So if you cannot approach Tesla ownership with an expectation of negative issues, extended open-ended timelines for missing features and frustration with the way customers are treated, I suspect that your best option is to cancel and purchase elsewhere.

There's a good chance I will cancel my MYLR order and wait for HW4? However, I am not expecting actual L4 FSD to happen within the lifetime of the car, so I am not sure it will make much difference to me. Some of the basic functions may still be missing with HW4 cars - e.g. rear cross traffic alerts, parking assist, much better blind spot detection (of more interest to me than EAP or FSD)?

And I assume MY prices will increase well before HW4 and more sensors appear on the cars.

I have cancelled my model y ( due for delivery on 17th March ) this morning . All because of park assist shambles . Very disappointed as wanted Tesla for years then they have to be idiots and remove features . The vision park assist will NEVER work , well at least reliably . So I would run away very,very fast if I were you .

Reactions: CWT3LR
I have cancelled my model y ( due for delivery on 17th March ) this morning . All because of park assist shambles . Very disappointed as wanted Tesla for years then they have to be idiots and remove features . The vision park assist will NEVER work , well at least reliably . So I would run away very,very fast if I were you .
Your choice obviously, but I took delivery of my USS-less Y yesterday after wanting a Tesla for a long time and I’m loving it.

Yes, I’d prefer it had USS and yes it did take the shine off somewhat, but so many other things to enjoy about the car.

At the end of the day it is your choice. However just my two pence! - if you are rejecting because of park assist shambles then the reality is there is no shambles. I guess you’ve never had a Tesla before - it is defintley not like other cars that the only hifi feature is aerial view parking with beep sensors and AHB. It has many features and lots of interesting updates that can change the features and the look of the car completely (again it is like Marmite - some like it and some hate it). However, these are all side issues the main thing that Tesla got right from day 1 is its battery tech and the SuC network it has. There is very little from the competitors to challenge this though some forum members may strongly disagree with this. But that is Tesla’s real strength and - that is an understatement actually.

Tesla's battery and SuC advantage is not in dispute.

It's also irrelevant to any issue a prospective owner might have about another aspect of the car that isn't up to scratch.

I would take it as read that people cancelling are weighing up the entire package and deciding that in spite of Tesla's battery/motor advantage, the omission of basic features is an insurmountable issue for them - either in practical terms (some people or their spouses rely on it) or on principal, or both.

I find it a bit disrespectful to call into question whether those people are "wrong", based on my own feelings. If losing ultrasonics is a big deal for people - it's a big deal for them, even if it isn't for you or me. By the same token I've never really had any phantom braking issues, but I'm not about to tell people who have experienced it that they're "wrong".

I happen to think Tesla removing ultrasonics before Tesla Vision was ready was ridiculous when it happened, and it's still ridiculous now - several months later. It is a ridiculous omission on a car at this price point and no amount of "just keep the faith, Tesla are the bestest" is going to change that.

It's good that you've made the decision that suits you. However, other people will make a decision that suits them ... and therefore they will be correct in their decision just as you are correct in yours.

Tesla's battery and SuC advantage is not in dispute.

It's also irrelevant to any issue a prospective owner might have about another aspect of the car that isn't up to scratch.

I would take it as read that people cancelling are weighing up the entire package and deciding that in spite of Tesla's battery/motor advantage, the omission of basic features is an insurmountable issue for them - either in practical terms (some people or their spouses rely on it) or on principal, or both.

I find it a bit disrespectful to call into question whether those people are "wrong", based on my own feelings. If losing ultrasonics is a big deal for people - it's a big deal for them, even if it isn't for you or me. By the same token I've never really had any phantom braking issues, but I'm not about to tell people who have experienced it that they're "wrong".

I happen to think Tesla removing ultrasonics before Tesla Vision was ready was ridiculous when it happened, and it's still ridiculous now - several months later. It is a ridiculous omission on a car at this price point and no amount of "just keep the faith, Tesla are the bestest" is going to change that.
There is nothing disrespectful about the comment that I made and did not question the OP whether he is wrong. The OP thinks it is a shamble - OP never had a Tesla - so the view of shambles must have come from reading forums etc., rather than a real experience. It is not like thousands of Tesla owners are returning the cars or cancelling the order - that is what I would call a shamble.

Reactions: boombap