Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
James Douma is an expert at Neural Nets and AI and is driving FSDBeta in the USA.

He is far far from "clueless"
The father of a good friend of mine is a professor of mathematics, he has the brain the size of a planet when it comes to numbers. It didn't stop him trying to explain the workings of a motorbike suspension (in terms of laplace transformations and frequency response) to his 1 year old grandchild. To all intents and purpose, he really struggled with the most basic practical concepts,

If this guy's wedded to the belief that AI can solve all problems then of course he's going to believe it to be true. Just like Liverpool fans think they still stand a chance of winning the league. Doesn't mean it is. Its poured with rain today, I reversed my car into its usual spot and the reversing camera couldn't make out a thing, a combination of dirt and water droplets distorting the view. No amount of AI is going to unravel that.

Thank god!

Since you took delivery 10 days ago, may I ask if it was a MYLR? If yes how do you find the suspension (is it updated or as "bad" as people claim?)

Also did you get the trunk with the extra felt on the sides and at the sides of the backseats where it used to be plastic?

Did you recieve the "updated" seats with the extra support and the extra stitching on the side of the seat?
It does not really matter. They are hell bent on Tesla Vision and even if you get the sensors they will be disabled at some point in the near future - as they did with the radar.
I am wondering, at what point the car becomes materially different from the car I bought? Frankly, I would not have bought a car without radar and supersonic
I agree, this has to be a solution to not being able to get enough sensors to keep up with production, as any decent manufacturer would have the new system up running and tested before they move over to it, especially something that is standard fit and a must have for any decent sized car. As has been said by others the camera system simply will not work in situations where the lense is dirty no matter how good the camera as it has to be able to see the obsticle. My BMW X5 surround view cameras were fantastic but the rear in particular was absolutely useless in British winters when road grime completely obscurred the camera and it was rendered no use at all for reversing, even a relatively small amount of dirt would render it useless in the dark but the parking sensors never missed a beat and were excellent and an absolute must have. My model Y is due in Novemeber some time and a car of this size with the poor rear screen visibilty and absence of a rear wiper needs the sensors, if it comes without them then I would imagine it won't be with me for long before its sold on.
The USS approach resembles the radar approach. They will disable the USS the same way they disabled the radar. Not because it is better but cheaper - no need to maintain the “old” code.

Reactions: Doudeau
a combination of dirt and water droplets distorting the view. No amount of AI is going to unravel that.
James has literally discussed this issue before in other interviews.

I find it rather odd when there is an expert on a very complex field, and people choose to not listen as it doesn't fit with their own narrative.

Sure don't agree with everything he says, but to discount everything he says is just absurd.

your loss.

• Disagree
Reactions: init6 and CWT3LR
James has literally discussed this issue before in other interviews.

I find it rather odd when there is an expert on a very complex field, and people choose to not listen as it doesn't fit with their own narrative.

Sure don't agree with everything he says, but to discount everything he says is just absurd.

your loss.
Sorry, I’m not currently abale to watch those videos. Is it possible to roughly summarise how they propose to solve that particular problem, or would that be a tad too long a post?

The first rule of buying software is to never buy anything on the premise of a future update.

The decision should always be that you are either happy with it as is, or you don’t buy it.
Wholeheartedly agree! Unfortunately, we have to amend with “Don’t buy software upgradable product if you do not have control over the updates”.
I don’t have a problem with buying a car with limitations - that is an informed decision. I have a problem with limitations imposed post-purchase. Like disabling radar and USS on cars that have them.

Radar didn’t interfere with vision, but it potentially conflicted.

When people show their garage wall is being interpreted as a lorry this could be the type of issue they are trying to solve here.

Sure, they didn’t have to remove USS to achieve that before the tech was proven ready, so maybe supply issues and/or cost cutting. It’s all speculation. We just know its happening.

but you're not in AP when you're parking (aside from auto park but thats a different mode). I think the USS were used in AP for lane-lane distance detection. They could remove that part of the software and still keep the parking sensors for, well, parking. I just don't see how cameras can be better than knee high sensors specifically designed to sense obstacles you can't see from inside the car. maybe the rear camera might be ok for reversing, but won't cover round the edges. The front surely a total no-no with only head height cameras near the rear view mirror

Reactions: Toblerone
Using occupancy network, the camera will be able to see in advance where it is and use persistence in its memory to remember both where it is and its characteristics.

But he isn't actually saying it like that.

Listen to his words... "The front camera can probably approximately localise it within an inch of the object. Then the car moves forward and it knows exactly where the object is.".

That contradicts itself and is very vague.

I am not saying it won't work, but it's worded with so much probably approximately it becomes meaningless. I've known many experts use this trick.

Persistence memory and movement calculations could also be used with USS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boza
but you're not in AP when you're parking (aside from auto park but thats a different mode). I think the USS were used in AP for lane-lane distance detection. They could remove that part of the software and still keep the parking sensors for, well, parking. I just don't see how cameras can be better than knee high sensors specifically designed to sense obstacles you can't see from inside the car. maybe the rear camera might be ok for reversing, but won't cover round the edges. The front surely a total no-no with only head height cameras near the rear view mirror

Puh ... went through the German TFF thread, now this one on TMC - completely negative drama (understandable) - but no technical insights in how it might work? Any analysis of blind spots in front of the car between models? Is M3 "better aka less blindspot" than MY for example ?

Cybertruck seems to be super bad regarding blind spot in front of the vehicle ... could it be we are seing HW4 with more/better-placed camera with this change?

Last edited:
The camera is at the top of the windscreen.. it's fine for a car a couple of car lengths ahead, but a wall at bumper level, no way is it seeing that, no matter how much tech you throw at it. The reason we have parking sensors is because these things can't be judged accurately by vision alone, even by humans.

Tesla have had plenty of hardware revisions to add more front cameras (and get a 360 view thrown in) but have not done so. Now they have to work around physical limitations of the design.. and no amount of Elon trying to speak it into being will change that.

Reactions: Durzel and Boza
The camera is at the top of the windscreen.. it's fine for a car a couple of car lengths ahead, but a wall at bumper level, no way is it seeing that, no matter how much tech you throw at it. The reason we have parking sensors is because these things can't be judged accurately by vision alone, even by humans.

Tesla have had plenty of hardware revisions to add more front cameras (and get a 360 view thrown in) but have not done so. Now they have to work around physical limitations of the design.. and no amount of Elon trying to speak it into being will change that.
HW4 /w more cams would solve it right?