Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time I checked the UK was in “Europe”.
Correct, I don’t dispute that.

The difference is that we (U.K. and Ireland) are a RHD market. We are always second rate citizens when it comes to implementation like other RHD markets.

The other RHD markets are not listed E.g. Hong Kong, Australia Japan etc etc.

I could be wrong but there are a lot of differences between the LHD and RHD cars and removing the sensors required a a lot of redesign work.

Where do you stand legally? i.e a car you've ordered isnt what was delivered?

if i ordered something on the premise that is what is being delivered, i presume consumer rights have a role to play here, especially without informing customers.

Well what Tesla has done before is that they sent out an updated agreement where you must agree to accept the new "updates" (meaning downgrades) of the car if you want to take delivery, otherwise you order will be canceled. That's some mafia tactics right there.

I'm amazed how so many here know whether a Tesla without ultrasonic sensors will or will not work. I don't think you can really know.
I think people are guesstimating the impact it will have on their ownership based on their experiences of the 'software dominant' approach over the last few years, in a couple of key areas (AP, FSD, Wipers, Headlights and specifically their impacts on the driving conditions in the UK) which is their prerogative. Add onto that a general jadedness about Tesla's approach to customers in general and it's not really surprising that owners are doubtful.

It might be great from the start or it might be awful for a whileTM.

I think people are guesstimating the impact it will have on their ownership based on their experiences of the 'software dominant' approach over the last few years, in a couple of key areas (AP, FSD, Wipers, Headlights and specifically their impacts on the driving conditions in the UK) which is their prerogative. Add onto that a general jadedness about Tesla's approach to customers in general and it's not really surprising that owners are doubtful.

It might be great from the start or it might be awful for a whileTM.

And if its a Salary Sacrifice lease car where you may be beyond the point of no return before you set eyes on it..... its quite a risk.. Though as mentioned above the RHD markets dont seem to be on the list - so maybe there is a qualification needed as to whether Europe does or doesnt include its sole RHD market.

Reality - nobody knows. Doubt creates fear. etc <insert Star wars cliche>

I'm amazed how so many here know whether a Tesla without ultrasonic sensors will or will not work. I don't think you can really know.

And your point is exactly what is triggering the concern.

No one knows either way. Even Tesla from their announcement state it's not ready yet.

It's the classic "is the glass half full or half empty" situation.

It's effectively buying on a promise. I can understand why some are concerned by that. Nothing particularly amazing whichever way someone wants to look at it.

Reactions: GoodKarma
Given the overall spectrum of mine’s ok to mine’s rubbish, I suspect the same will be true of ‘vision’ vehicles dependant upon location and use.
The overriding concern will be cameras blocked or blinded, whether by sun or condensation or dirt, at a critical moment.
The old saying eggs/basket has a bearing when there is nothing to fall back on.
Sun and dirt don’t last long. pillar camera Condensation is a nightmare. There’re is no way to quickly remove it and nothing to cure it. I’ve had 5 short drives to the shops during recent days and got condensation in one or other every day!
No good going work miles to an SC as it clears over that distance and there’s nothing to see!

Reactions: Boza
I have a
And if its a Salary Sacrifice lease car where you may be beyond the point of no return before you set eyes on it..... its quite a risk.. Though as mentioned above the RHD markets dont seem to be on the list - so maybe there is a qualification needed as to whether Europe does or doesnt include its sole RHD market.

Reality - nobody knows. Doubt creates fear. etc <insert Star wars cliche>
I have a Model Y on order through salary sacrifice. my lease company have already been in touch to say my car will not have USS.

I drive a Model 3 currently (obvs with USS), and to be honest I'm fine with this.

I have a

I have a Model Y on order through salary sacrifice. my lease company have already been in touch to say my car will not have USS.

I drive a Model 3 currently (obvs with USS), and to be honest I'm fine with this.
I have a Model Y on order through salary sacrifice. my lease company have already been in touch to say my car will might or might not have USS. ;)

I drive an Audi currently and it has both USS and 360deg and birdseyeview cams.

This decision makes me cringe so bad. I can't wait for the parking sensors to join autowipers, autolights and TACC on the list of things that are worse than on my 2015 Golf.

If this decision was really made in good faith why wouldn't they wait until they had developed the software before removing the sensors, how much can they cost? Presumably, supply chain problems have driven this in the short term, and share price is more important than customer satisfaction so they have to keep the production lines going. Just like with not having an IR rain sensor, of course it can be done with cameras in theory, but in practice, it will just be worse - we all know it.

Reactions: Ratch and GoodKarma
My wife works for Jaguar Land Rover, when I told her the news she said that in her experience removing something without a replacement or an upgrade could mean that you have identified a part that has been interfering/causing issues with other systems in the technology stack by muddying data or sending contradictory data to the main software environment. They have just developed a brand new testing facility to isolate separate systems and identify where interference is happening. So maybe some of the other systems will work better after this? Or... Elon could be being a dick and trying to save some cash at the detriment of customers experience. hmmmm

Ultrasonics have been on the car since day dot. I do not believe for one second that their presence is somehow suddenly interfering with Autopilot or anything else. Ultrasonics don't work beyond a really short (a couple of metres or so) range so are irrelevant to anything else really.

This is a mixture of supply chain/value engineering and hubris from Tesla. The ratio depends on your cynicism level, I think.

If this decision was really made in good faith why wouldn't they wait until they had developed the software before removing the sensors, how much can they cost? Presumably, supply chain problems have driven this in the short term, and share price is more important than customer satisfaction so they have to keep the production lines going. Just like with not having an IR rain sensor, of course it can be done with cameras in theory, but in practice, it will just be worse - we all know it.
I just did a short trip in blue skies and sunshine. Autowipers came on, slow at first then speeded up and after 30+ seconds were still wiping and squeaking on the totally dry screen. I turned them off. Again.

Losing the ultrasonic sensors is a crappy idea, both front and rear facing cameras fall well short of the task imo. PDC will join autowipers in the 'rubbish' hall of fame.

Ultrasonics have been on the car since day dot. I do not believe for one second that their presence is somehow suddenly interfering with Autopilot or anything else.
Radar didn’t interfere with vision, but it potentially conflicted.

When people show their garage wall is being interpreted as a lorry this could be the type of issue they are trying to solve here.

Sure, they didn’t have to remove USS to achieve that before the tech was proven ready, so maybe supply issues and/or cost cutting. It’s all speculation. We just know its happening.

Reactions: init6