Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder, in time once Tesla Vision is established with 3D mapping graphics and real time positioning diagrams...

... we'll look back and wonder how the heck we ever parked using those beep, beep, beep wiggly worm sensors.
I'm afraid that will only be a case for HW4, and will not be backward compatible.
Also, I'm wondering how this system will fare in heavy rain or snow at detecting low obstacles on the ground.

I'm all for creative new ways of parking/avoiding obstacles over the 'traditional' methods, only if Elon agrees to foot my bumper or alloy repair bill if something goes wrong...

Well it seems the answer is - don't buy a new Tesla until Tesla Vision works, those cars with USS will remain with it as a functioning system, from October new cars will be made without the sensors and without some features until Vision is working reliably, just read online this -

According to Tesla's FAQ, they do not plan to stop using ultrasonic sensors in vehicles that already have them, although they do preface this by saying 'at this time'. It's possible that Tesla may choose to turn off ultrasonic sensors in vehicles if vision can perform as well or better than the current sensors.

The auto high beam - apparently you can turn this function off by entering the lights section on screen and tapping auto high beam twice. (I've not seen this yet and will check when i get back to my car - just watched a video where its demonstrated)

I'm now convinced - Elon Musk is either a complete Nut or a dreamer, he has some great ideas but spouts them as doable in a month and markets them in a week and still doesn't deliver in two years or more.

According to Tesla's FAQ, they do not plan to stop using ultrasonic sensors in vehicles that already have them, although they do preface this by saying 'at this time'. It's possible that Tesla may choose to turn off ultrasonic sensors in vehicles if vision can perform as well or better than the current sensors.
Doesn't seem right that they can just remove features of the car after purchase, I don't want my sensors removed or disabled at any point. I see no reason why I should be penalised by them for wanting to do so but no doubt if you have an issue with the car they will force the latest updates on you, so making it impossible to not update the car

About that, could either of you tell me what a) the minimum distance setting is with and without radar and b) what the maximum speed for TACC with and without radar.
Well now the minimum distance is 2 regardless as Tesla has forced this on everyone without notice, regardless of distance it is the drivers responsibility and choice, for Tesla to start forcing features and how people should drive seems odd.

Last edited:
Well it seems the answer is - don't buy a new Tesla until Tesla Vision works....

Never buy a Tesla then, as it will never fully work with the camera tech that's currently in the cars.

For their 'vision' to work they need much better camera's, higher resolution but more importantly many magnitudes greater dynamic range along with some form of system to clean off dirt and rain on side and rear camera's.

Otherwise, they will never achieve 'Full Self Driving' or now even the ability to park or reverse out of a tight spot under common environmental conditions (night time & raining). I guess it's back to winding down your window and sticking your head out, or getting out and physically checking....as ya be buggered if ya try and just look out of the back window in a model 3.

I am taking delivery of a MYLR from Shanghai october 15th, ordered it back in april. The car must be at least 3 months old I would imagine since the travel to Denmark where we live takes about 5-6 weeks.

How big are the chances that my car still has those sensors, I really want them since I really don't believe their cameras will be better any time soon. I mean I feel a bit fooled since I ordered a car in april where the sensors were included in the specs.

I am taking delivery of a MYLR from Shanghai october 15th, ordered it back in april. The car must be at least 3 months old I would imagine since the travel to Denmark where we live takes about 5-6 weeks.

How big are the chances that my car still has those sensors, I really want them since I really don't believe their cameras will be better any time soon. I mean I feel a bit fooled since I ordered a car in april where the sensors were included in the specs.
You will get the sensors. They’ve said they are making the change to cars manufactured from October.

I just received an MY in the UK 10 days ago and it has them.

Reactions: init6
I very much doubt Elon Musk is involved in decisions like this.
Really? - I think Musk is all over it. I believe he gets an idea, thinks it must be possible, announces it to his team and because Musk doesn't take no for an answer - they just let him run with the idea and start to look how it could be done, meanwhile someone shoves a camera in Elons face, and he states this will be with us in a month or two.

You will get the sensors. They’ve said they are making the change to cars manufactured from October.

I just received an MY in the UK 10 days ago and it has them.
Thank god!

Since you took delivery 10 days ago, may I ask if it was a MYLR? If yes how do you find the suspension (is it updated or as "bad" as people claim?)

Also did you get the trunk with the extra felt on the sides and at the sides of the backseats where it used to be plastic?

Did you recieve the "updated" seats with the extra support and the extra stitching on the side of the seat?

Thank god!

Since you took delivery 10 days ago, may I ask if it was a MYLR? If yes how do you find the suspension (is it updated or as "bad" as people claim?)

Also did you get the trunk with the extra felt on the sides and at the sides of the backseats where it used to be plastic?

Did you recieve the "updated" seats with the extra support and the extra stitching on the side of the seat?
It does not really matter. They are hell bent on Tesla Vision and even if you get the sensors they will be disabled at some point in the near future - as they did with the radar.
I am wondering, at what point the car becomes materially different from the car I bought? Frankly, I would not have bought a car without radar and supersonic sensors.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Thank god!

Did you recieve the "updated" seats with the extra support and the extra stitching on the side of the sea

AFAIK the sensors won't be disabled any time soon. I really think this is all about Tesla not having enough sensors at hand to produce the cars. So this is a desperate move to continue making cars (and money since Tesla gets the money once you get the car).

So in this case I believe all the cars with USS will have them quite for a time since the cameras will take forever to make them work as good as the sensors.

AFAIK the sensors won't be disabled any time soon. I really think this is all about Tesla not having enough sensors at hand to produce the cars. So this is a desperate move to continue making cars (and money since Tesla gets the money once you get the car).

So in this case I believe all the cars with USS will have them quite for a time since the cameras will take forever to make them work as good as the sensors.
I agree, this has to be a solution to not being able to get enough sensors to keep up with production, as any decent manufacturer would have the new system up running and tested before they move over to it, especially something that is standard fit and a must have for any decent sized car. As has been said by others the camera system simply will not work in situations where the lense is dirty no matter how good the camera as it has to be able to see the obsticle. My BMW X5 surround view cameras were fantastic but the rear in particular was absolutely useless in British winters when road grime completely obscurred the camera and it was rendered no use at all for reversing, even a relatively small amount of dirt would render it useless in the dark but the parking sensors never missed a beat and were excellent and an absolute must have. My model Y is due in Novemeber some time and a car of this size with the poor rear screen visibilty and absence of a rear wiper needs the sensors, if it comes without them then I would imagine it won't be with me for long before its sold on.

You can reject the car at the point of delivery.

That said, I read the update as impacting LHR cars first, it seems none of the RHD markets are listed in the initial batch despite coming out the same factory. The U.K. might actually be last on the chopping block for this.