Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been sortof toying with the idea of chopping in my MY20 M3P for a MY21 one. Have had a pretty decent trade in price from Tesla (£54,000), so would cost me between £7,990 - £14,790 (depending on whether I got FSD again) to upgrade.

The only issue I've got is that my trade in estimate is valid until 15/03, and is valid for 60 days after it is confirmed. After 60 days it gets reappraised. So, assuming I ordered as late as possible - 14/03, I'd have a deadline of 13/05 to get the new car.

If the MIC M3P turned up after that date I could find myself having to fund a shortfall of however many £'s between the original appraisal and the new one, on the assumption that it would have reduced in those 2 months. Tesla confirmed to me on the phone that this 60 days is immutable - i.e. it wouldn't matter if I'd accepted an offer and placed an order, actually paying for the car and collecting it is what counts.

It sounds as if it's more likely to be mid/late May than early May, so I might be screwed if I took the gamble with the £100 non-refundable order...

Have you approached any of cash buyers like WBAC or Motorway? Or the SoR route - Simon Jones/R Symons. Of course you would need access to another car for a bit.....

WBAC quote was £6k less. Haven't approached anyone else.

To be honest it was more of a "if the stars align" thing.. I didn't think that £8k was a terribly bad price to upgrade (although I'd lose FSD). I was actually surprised at how generous Tesla's offer was, to be honest.

I don't need the car, it has only done 1200 miles since I got it (probably partly why the valuation is a bit higher). I did ask Tesla whether I could sell them the car now, or within the 60 days, but the trade in was conditional on purchasing the new car, i.e. until its arrived and I've actually paid for it (because you can walk away at any point and only lose your deposit).

EDIT: WBAC was £10k less, it turns out

Last edited:
Reactions: Jez_GB

To be honest it was more of a "if the stars align" thing.. I didn't think that £8k was a terribly bad price to upgrade (although I'd lose FSD). I was actually surprised at how generous Tesla's offer was, to be honest.

I don't need the car, it has only done 1200 miles since I got it (probably partly why the valuation is a bit higher). I did ask Tesla whether I could sell them the car now, or within the 60 days, but the trade in was conditional on purchasing the new car, i.e. until its arrived and I've actually paid for it (because you can walk away at any point and only lose your deposit).
Would you go down the PPF route again? Guess that's another cost to consider.

I think this will be the first time that Performance models for any country are being produced in Shanghai so that's a potential uncertainty to consider. IIRC they only got approval to produce them last December.

Would you go down the PPF route again? Guess that's another cost to consider.

I think this will be the first time that Performance models for any country are being produced in Shanghai so that's a potential uncertainty to consider. IIRC they only got approval to produce them last December.

Dunno, probably.

To be honest it was one of those things where I actually wasn’t expecting the trade in value to be so high. The fact that it was put the idea of replacing it with a MY21 into man maths territory.

Strictly speaking, like for like (e.g. keeping FSD), it would cost closer to £18k (PPF was over £3k) and that’s not considering the amount the MY21 car would lose in depreciation immediately as well.

Man maths can be a powerful drug.

I get the impression that MIC is less of a lottery for overall quality compared to Fremont, having learned from mistakes made in California. Berlin should see further improvement.

Reactions: Durzel

EDIT: WBAC was £10k less, it turns out

😲 Wow, that's some delta!

Assuming the stars do align, would you go for FSD again? I decided not, I've not had it so won't miss it and I reckon it will be years before it will be properly operational (certainly in he UK) - I might consider EAP post delivery.

😲 Wow, that's some delta!

Assuming the stars do align, would you go for FSD again? I decided not, I've not had it so won't miss it and I reckon it will be years before it will be properly operational (certainly in he UK) - I might consider EAP post delivery.

I think it'll be next year before we see FSD beta over here. Could be wrong, but unless the UK moves quickly to exempt itself from UNECE stuff, I can't see self driving stuff really changing dramatically soon.

Hand on heart - I'd probably want it again, but I know it's objectively not worth the money (especially now that EAP exists). I couldn't tell you why I would want it, beyond just wanting the car to do everything it is possible for it to do. I do not have a good track record with blowing money unnecessarily on stuff, though.

I'll stop messing up this thread for the MY21 M3P owners waiting on their orders.. :)

I ordered my M3P on December 24th 2020 with a predicted delivery date of March 19th. Then I got the news we all got that our cars won’t be delivered until May 2021. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I’ve decided to wait and not buckle and take the long range option as I believe the car will be worth waiting for. Anyone got any info when the boat will sail from China for delivery in May ?

Really glad i've discovered this forum.

Red M3P ordered mid Jan. Delivery May.

Some really helpful info on here - but am i the only one disappointed that it's MIC instead of Fremont? Does anyone have actual documentation saying this?

I've still not seen anything confirming the 'Ps' are being MiC though.

This was 'confirmed' to me through the Chat function on the Tesla website a few weeks ago. It also makes sense for Tesla to concentrate all RHD unit production at a single site and Shanghai is close to a number of other RHD markets (Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand).

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
Care to elaborate on your reasonings for not wanting a MIC ??
I think he already pointed out his reason, it’s not quality related as we know the MIC are better made but more the sentiment of an American car made and assembled in America, nothing more than that and I agree in one way, would be nice to have a car that was made in America but if the quality is better, then I’m not bothered if it’s made in the Antarctic, I just want my car to be close to perfection as possible.

I think he already pointed out his reason, it’s not quality related as we know the MIC are better made but more the sentiment of an American car made and assembled in America, nothing more than that and I agree in one way, would be nice to have a car that was made in America but if the quality is better, then I’m not bothered if it’s made in the Antarctic, I just want my car to be close to perfection as possible.
Now, made in Antarctica would be a talking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.