Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK specific] Software Update 2023.26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Improvements? in last 9 months? which ones, please?!
I'm definitely not a Tesla fanboy and have all the standard complaints. But the following changes have been useful (to me) in the last 9 months:
  • Auto turn signals on initial move of left stalk (instead of three flashes).
  • Supercharger pricing visible from the map.
  • Auto heated steering wheel.
  • British voice recognition - at least now makes a shot at recognising what I say.
  • Information on destinations, including open/closed status.
  • Scroll wheel access to wiper control.
  • Headlights come on with wipers, when on Auto.
Agreed, this is only a very small proportion of Tesla's claimed improvements and the wiper user interface improvement doesn't make auto wipers actually work. But they are improvements nonetheless.

One gripe is that the wiper control via the scroll wheel is different from when you bring up the wiper pane. Why? I'd at least have liked it if pressing the button on the left stalk let me use the scroll wheel (as an alternative to a long press on the scrolls wheel) as well as the wiper pane.

I'm definitely not a Tesla fanboy and have all the standard complaints. But the following changes have been useful (to me) in the last 9 months:
  • Auto turn signals on initial move of left stalk (instead of three flashes).
  • Supercharger pricing visible from the map.
  • Auto heated steering wheel.
  • British voice recognition - at least now makes a shot at recognising what I say.
  • Information on destinations, including open/closed status.
  • Scroll wheel access to wiper control.
  • Headlights come on with wipers, when on Auto.
Agreed, this is only a very small proportion of Tesla's claimed improvements and the wiper user interface improvement doesn't make auto wipers actually work. But they are improvements nonetheless.

One gripe is that the wiper control via the scroll wheel is different from when you bring up the wiper pane. Why? I'd at least have liked it if pressing the button on the left stalk let me use the scroll wheel (as an alternative to a long press on the scrolls wheel) as well as the wiper pane.
Half of the things you posted HAD to be (and is with other brands) out of the box though. Tesla is just catching up now

Reactions: MrBadger and goRt
Half of the things you posted HAD to be (and is with other brands) out of the box though. Tesla is just catching up now
So what? The point (and the answer to your question) is that the car software is making drivability or general user experience better. Other brands are catching up to Tesla in other aspects too - but that's beside the point because the specific question is whether Tesla's OTA software updates are making the car better over time or not.

So what? The point (and the answer to your question) is that the car software is making drivability or general user experience better. Other brands are catching up to Tesla in other aspects too - but that's beside the point because the specific question is whether Tesla's OTA software updates are making the car better over time or not.
so THAT, that it is not necessary an improvement per se, if this function was not operating properly.

moreover those improvement are more or less useless anyway (at least for me)

I on the other hand see that tesla OTA updates introduced:
- Nerfed AP performance (whithout asking me if I want this)
- Malfunctioning maps due to loss of connectivity due to bug in the code
- TV in general is awful with recognition of the obstacles and *sugar*.

so actually OTA introduced some problems as well.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
so THAT, that it is not necessary an improvement per se, if this function was not operating properly.

It's also broken summon recently.

Well you stated that OTA updates don't make any improvements. I said there were some for me that have added up over time. You then asked which ones. To which they were answered by @MovingSouth (which are the ones I would have said plus a few other I can't be bothered to tell you). And then you reject that those are "improvements" based on the fact that other cars have similar features and that you find them useless - fair enough.

It's fine if you don't see those as improvements because other cars have them or you don't find them useful, but then you'd have to continue to argue anything as an improvement if any other car has those same features. It's just a bad form of arguing. (Also I never said that OTA updates bring only improvements like you're suggesting; just that I myself have only noticed the benefits - your "introduced problems" are equally valid for you. But, unlike you, I can admit the pros AND the cons. I'd happily call out any faults to OTA updates if I experience them).

you know what i am fed up of checking for the 2023.26.1 update every few hours, o_O. somebody please let me know when its available to download. my wifi is a mess so have to check it manually.

It will arrive when it arrives. No fixed schedule and all cars get it at different times, some a significant amount of time after first reports of downloads so other peoples experiences is no indication of yours. One day you will get in the car, or get notification via app or third part like TeslaFi, and the download will be available. But be quick as sometimes they get taken away before you get to install.

Reactions: M1tch and RajG
It will arrive when it arrives. No fixed schedule and all cars get it at different times, some a significant amount of time after first reports of downloads so other peoples experiences is no indication of yours. One day you will get in the car, or get notification via app or third part like TeslaFi, and the download will be available. But be quick as sometimes they get taken away before you get to install.
please me something, would the car have to be connected to the WIFI for the update notification to appear on the app? main reason i ask is, my wifi is weak at the parked location and i will usually tether with my mobile phone to check for updates.

you know what i am fed up of checking for the 2023.26.1 update every few hours, o_O. somebody please let me know when its available to download. my wifi is a mess so have to check it manually.
I keep a frequent eye on updates. For some reason, probably bug issues, there have been no vehicles added to 2023.20.9, 2023.26.1 or 26.3 for over a week now. This is a rare occurrence and I expect a further update to one or both branches will appear when the issues are resolved. One of the bugs is that summon (part of FSD) is not working. When an update is available, you’ll get a notification. the SIM card will pick it up.

Reactions: RajG
would the car have to be connected to the WIFI for the update notification to appear on the app?

In most circumstances the car will have to be connected to WiFi to download the update. If it is connected to WiFi then that will also enable the Mothership to know the car status (including that it has finished downloading the update, and also what version the car is one (once you've told the car to INSTALL the downloaded version)).

You can connect car to a Phone Hotspot to achieve same, but of course only if the car thinks it is ready to start downloading, and as others have said the interval between "Update published and available" and "MY car wants it" is variable. This time you might be last, next time you might be first.

apologies for hijacking this thread, but i was wondering if anybody is facing the issue Can’t connect to car via App - anyone else?

There are threads running at the moment on that topic. Car won’t wake
As there are several people reporting it's unlikely to be your individual car. Once in a blue moon the connectivity between the cars and Tesla servers have a blip. I would recommend reporting via the app for service. Even though it's unlikely that Tesla will do anything (they will cancel any appointment) it lets them know there's a problem that needs to be sorted out.

Last edited:
interesting. There still seems to be a moratorium on updates of both 20 and 26 branches, but on Teslafi, the 26 branch now includes FSD beta. Presume this to be US only still.
I wonder why the moratorium? I mentioned in a recent post how well my car handled Autopilot on a long trip over several days and the same behaviour has continued since then. I don't really look for changes but so far 26.1 has been more consistent than I recall with other updates.

The car is on V11.1 & does not have FSD which I believe is currently V12.

IMG_6733 2.JPG