Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that remote summon & autopark is sweet.

The KIa has it as well:

Can't Summon a Tesla unless you're basically stood over it. Useless.
The fact that it uses old tech - a fob and USS - shows how far Musk has to go in accepting vision is inferior and the app is crappy too. Shame I ordered my Y when I did, as if I had held off a few months, availability of the Ioniq would have made for a different decision I think. Videos like these show that the competition has pulled well ahead.

Reactions: Durzel and up_north
Believe the issue is that the computer took too long to determine what to do when it received conflicting data from Vision, Sensors and Radar. Having only one pure data stream (Vision) allows the Autopilot to react quicker.

Kind of like when you are casually driving, and your eyes/brain tells you you have a clear path, but your passenger is constantly shouting...WATCH OUT!...BE CAREFUL!..
It is therefore unusable until they disable vision for cars with USS. Radar plays no part at slow speed.

And in any event, this was a vision-only version of Muskware, as shown at the beginning of the Tesla segment.

Edit: other cars - such as the Ioniq - appear to manage sensor conflict perfectly well.

Reactions: up_north
Believe the issue is that the computer took too long to determine what to do when it received conflicting data from Vision, Sensors and Radar. Having only one pure data stream (Vision) allows the Autopilot to react quicker.

Kind of like when you are casually driving, and your eyes/brain tells you you have a clear path, but your passenger is constantly shouting...WATCH OUT!...BE CAREFUL!..
I'd buy this if it wasn't for the fact that other manufacturers deal with the conflict seemingly fine.

The daft thing is that a camera would be the better way..so long as it was in the cabin, able to see the whole windscreen rather than a few square cm easily marred by dead insects etc that get made worse by dry wipes.

Imho, it's probably not so much to do with only looking at a small portion of the screen. After all traditional rain sensors that work fine also only operate on a small portion of the screen. It's more to do with the fact the forward driving cameras that are directly behind the glass and looking into the distance cannot possibly focus on rain drops on the screen. All they can 'see' of rain drops on the screen will be some patchy blurring of the image to a varying degree. It must be pretty hard to accurately interpret amount of rainfall based on that. Another example of using the wrong tool for the job and making an easy task difficult!

But I agree, if you are going to insist on using a camera for this task, it would be best to have one some distance away from the screen looking at a large portion of it. But you still need some fancy AI algorithm. Rain sensor just easier and works fine!

Reactions: CWT3LR
I'd buy this if it wasn't for the fact that other manufacturers deal with the conflict seemingly fine.
Indeed.

I'd have more confidence about the assertion that melding Radar/LIDAR with vision was more trouble than its worth if Tesla weren't also removing other electronics on a whim and either disingenuously claiming that they did so because they weren't used (passenger lumbar) or not saying anything at all (USB data in console).

Yeah right

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR and H43lio
While I enjoy the technical discussion, I have much more simplistic view on the matter - based on the outcome. For all I care they could use trained monkeys to operate the wipers and high beams. Bottom line is that my $100k+ car still has subpar auto wipers compared to 20 years old $40k Audi or $30k Ford. How could you expect them to achieve something so complex as self driving in the city if they could not figure out the wipers and high beams?!
They should separate the FSD from the EV. FSD is clearly beta and should not be imposed on existing cars in form of Tesla Vision, Object Persistence or any other unproven thing. I would be happy if they downgrade me to V10 and don’t send me any “improvements” until they are proven.

While I enjoy the technical discussion, I have much more simplistic view on the matter - based on the outcome. For all I care they could use trained monkeys to operate the wipers and high beams. Bottom line is that my $100k+ car still has subpar auto wipers compared to 20 years old $40k Audi or $30k Ford. How could you expect them to achieve something so complex as self driving in the city if they could not figure out the wipers and high beams?!
They should separate the FSD from the EV. FSD is clearly beta and should not be imposed on existing cars in form of Tesla Vision, Object Persistence or any other unproven thing. I would be happy if they downgrade me to V10 and don’t send me any “improvements” until they are proven.
With respect, you misunderstand the point of Tesla, and Musk's philosophy on vehicles.

The wipers and high beams aren't meant to allow a human driver to see. They are meant for the vehicle to see. You are superfluous in the engineering mindset of Tesla. Why on earth would you want to SEE? You don't do anything except watch Netflix while the vehicle does all the icky boring driving decision making?

Except for one small niggle. FSD is crap, dangerous and will never work properly. And until the stock market wakes up to that fact, stops treating Tesla like a meme stock and forces a change on Tesla and Musk (or more likely his replacement) we will be stuck with the current dead-end unusable tech.

With respect, you misunderstand the point of Tesla, and Musk's philosophy on vehicles.

The wipers and high beams aren't meant to allow a human driver to see. They are meant for the vehicle to see. You are superfluous in the engineering mindset of Tesla. Why on earth would you want to SEE? You don't do anything except watch Netflix while the vehicle does all the icky boring driving decision making?

Except for one small niggle. FSD is crap, dangerous and will never work properly. And until the stock market wakes up to that fact, stops treating Tesla like a meme stock and forces a change on Tesla and Musk (or more likely his replacement) we will be stuck with the current dead-end unusable tech.

I know you're being facetious, but I am always amused by those who unironically justify the poor auto wiper performance by arguing that they are prioritising cleaning the screen for the cameras and not the driver! As if it could somehow be raining differently on the patch of screen in front of the cameras than it is on the patch of screen about a foot away that the driver is trying to see through! :)

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
I know you're being facetious, but I am always amused by those who unironically justify the poor auto wiper performance by arguing that they are prioritising cleaning the screen for the cameras and not the driver! As if it could somehow be raining differently on the patch of screen in front of the cameras than it is on the patch of screen about a foot away that the driver is trying to see through! :)
It's because it is programmed for American rain, not European.

• Funny
Reactions: H43lio and LiamPope
I have had my vin finally, starting with 580. Had anyone had confirmation either way that their 580 build has USS or not? I know they are not making them sequentially which makes it difficult to work out. I have asked Tesla this too so will let you know what they say to me.

I have had my vin finally, starting with 580. Had anyone had confirmation either way that their 580 build has USS or not? I know they are not making them sequentially which makes it difficult to work out. I have asked Tesla this too so will let you know what they say to me.
If you’ve been asked to sign a disclaimer over USS then you won’t have them, if you’ve not been asked, you should get them.

There are reports that if you log into your Tesla account and then use this url

There’s an attribute about showing the USS disclaimer which most are taking as if Yes, you don’t get them, if No, the car will have USS

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel and Danny_F