Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park always in the garage, but the garage is a single so not a lot of room and I have a workbench and cupboards underneath at the far end - plus the gas boiler is in the corner, now for a previous car i moved the garage door - well actually I fitted a new door, was previously up and over but by fitting an electric roller shutter I was able to fit the shutter to the front on the bricks at the very extreme edge of the garage - this gave me about 9 inches more clearance. When i got the model 3 i needed a tad more - so i cut the workbench down in depth as i did with the cupboards underneath - so instead of 600mm deep they are 300mm - couldn't cut more as the boiler sticks out 300mm. When i reverse in the garage when parked i have 2cms gap between the bootlid and the worktop - the worktop height is just underneath the spoiler - i glued that yellow gas pipe insulation stuff to the front edge of the worktop - as a bit of insurance in case i get it wrong anytime - at the front of the car I have 2 inches between the number plate and the roller shutter - so it is a bit tight, my solution because the USS give a solid tone way before i get the back to the 2cm mark - I have put a black permanent marker line on the garage wall, vertically as a reference point between it and the passenger mirror, also added a red thick line vertically just before it so the aim is to reverse, have the mirror within an inch of the wall and stop when the leading edge of the mirror housing is about level with the red line - and so far in two years I not touched the bootlid on the yellow insulation material yet - and my car is garaged every single day - never ever left out.
I don’t have a handy side wall for the line, but your idea is excellent. I have a window one side and a neighbours car the other..

@Frankcjd - An alternative approach (to avoid the need to 'reset') could be to use some form of bump strip stuck/screwed to the floor at the point where your front wheels reach the ideal position. Bit like the bumper at the superchargers.
Thought of that but it would mean messing up the flags on the drive.. I wanted something a little less permanent so it can easily be removed as soon as the software updates, and who am I kidding ?

One time in the past I thought frequent OTA software updates was an advantage!

Definitely still an advantage - just no longer for customers....

I'm surprised this idea hasn't got more traction!

I see so many advantages for Tesla but (now) few if any for owners. Always getting better is very close to never finished.

Based on:

and my S being a smokey 3 year old legacy banger in the UK, this year's Holiday Update looks like another bag of coal.

I mean, it's the slightly older cars' owners that might actually benefit from updates, while newer cars would still be fixing stuff that should have been done when the cars left the factory if that was possible. IE: entirely Tesla's benefit!

Last edited:
😭😭😭

Absolutely devastated today, Car was delivered after a very long wait, but i choose to not accept delivery as it had NO parking sensors.
Was reassured by Arval that it would come with sensors, and during delivery Tesla Bristol told me that they have not delivered a car with sensors since September.

Back to the drawing board for me then
Sorry to hear that after such a long wait. It’s an incredibly dumb move from Tesla.

😭😭😭

Absolutely devastated today, Car was delivered after a very long wait, but i choose to not accept delivery as it had NO parking sensors.
Was reassured by Arval that it would come with sensors, and during delivery Tesla Bristol told me that they have not delivered a car with sensors since September.

Back to the drawing board for me then
I'm gutted for you as the M3 really is a superb car but it takes people like you to send a message to Tesla by rejecting the car on the basis they failed to deliver what was agreed to on placing the order and perhaps if more did so Tesla wouldn't take for granted its customer base.
It does seem Tesla offer up their vehicles on a take it or leave it basis because they have led the field for so long with little direct competition and order books so full that where one person rejects a car another steps in and buys it, so to them its a good business model.

Indeed the rumoured new small car - the one we have labelled the Model 2 - looks like its in serious development and Elon says he expects the demand for that to exceed all other models they have produced - to me that's a cocky stance he will pay for.

Fortunately there are so many other manufacturers offering similar levels of performance, range and functionality within the price range - and many have even better build quality (though there will be foibles with all marques)
Tesla are getting pretty arrogant about how they operate and i note a fellow launched a private small claims against Tesla that Tesla just ignored - failed to send anyone to represent them and lost their case - so now Tesla has to pay to do whatever hardware upgrades are required for FSD to work with no cost to the customer - and Tesla have paid. As a footnote this fellow hadn't purchased FSD, he only wanted to subscribe monthly and the judge agreed - without the hardware upgrades then FSD wouldn't work as Tesla had previously indicated all its cars would support FSD.

My car is superb, though of course some stuff doesn't work as advertised, I have FSD and it does very very little - summon for instance just flashes the lights and moves the steering wheels - doesn't budge an inch.
When i decide to change vehicle I will definitely not be considering another Tesla, not because I don't like Tesla but when spending that sort of money there are so many other choices available - and variety is the spice of life, but also because I used to believe the promises that things will get better with updates but to be honest updates are a mixed bag - some are good but some have made things that worked pretty well to absolute rubbish - I don't believe anything Tesla say now.

I don't believe anything Tesla say

And that's their biggest problem imo. Underestimating the fact that most owners actually research what they buy, take on board the reasonable essence of what's offered as well as ' normal', and place a degree of trust in Tesla. If it's earned, trust is a valuable asset. Once lost, trust is very hard or impossible to win back.

relatively poor brand loyalty.

That a tough one to assess, especially in a market where Tesla was in a pretty much unique position and still just about is thanks to charging network. So loyalty was not so much brand loyalty as a kind of 'unique product' monopolistic 'loyalty'. The normal pace of brand loyalty swings could imo be far more rapid against Tesla as their near monopoly evaporates.

If all Tesla are aiming to do is develop robi taxis, then once they are done with 'us' may be they won't care. But the robo taxi isn't looking like a strong bet any time soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boza and CWT3LR
Working in IT, the claims around FSD always seemed pie-in-the-sky rubbish to me. I don't doubt that mankind will eventually get there but there's a long way to go yet.

Honestly, the FSD Beta they have in the US is quite impressive and a big jump from what they had before. It's also still nowhere near Level 5 either. I think the most optimistic estimates say 2030 at the earliest, I think that's also highly unlikely. More like 2040 maybe.

That a tough one to assess, especially in a market where Tesla was in a pretty much unique position and still just about is thanks to charging network. So loyalty was not so much brand loyalty as a kind of 'unique product' monopolistic 'loyalty'. The normal pace of brand loyalty swings could imo be far more rapid against Tesla as their near monopoly evaporates.

If all Tesla are aiming to do is develop robi taxis, then once they are done with 'us' may be they won't care. But the robo taxi isn't looking like a strong bet any time soon!
Don’t be so dismissive of the robo taxi. My MY decided to follow a car off the motorway yesterday rather than staying in lane 1.

I assume that’s because someone had booked my car to pick them up. It can’t be that autopilot is *sugar*, as too many here tell me I’m wrong on that.

Don’t be so dismissive of the robo taxi. My MY decided to follow a car off the motorway yesterday rather than staying in lane 1.

I assume that’s because someone had booked my car to pick them up. It can’t be that autopilot is *sugar*, as too many here tell me I’m wrong on that.
Looks like Elon has got hold of the forum software. Don’t call the autopilot s hh it. It’s all sugar.

I use them every time I park at home, to gauge an exact distance for the charging cable. I will admit that I might be able to get it fairly consistently with my eyes, but I didn't pay £60k to do that. If I was still in my 2004 Civic Type-R I might be more tolerant of it.

You would probably think that any big company that has a reputation to protect would monitor markets it sells to. Elon always defends Tesla when a vehicle has an unusual crash or ignites - he analyses the data and will use the media to make his views known. Its a fact a Tesla igniting gets the medias attention and they make it big news - and I'm not defending or supporting the media for broadcasting the stories or Elon for defending his company.

However, Wouldn't you think the company have people in all markets monitoring owners and prospective customers comments of the brand and feeding that back - by doing so the company could head off dissatisfaction and address peoples concerns - and wouldn't that be a nice touch?

Historically people have made suggestions that Elon/Tesla adopt - like Joe Mode and some features or wants within the software - so someone somewhere is indeed listening - or is it only in America - as they seem to have a better functioning package overall than we do in the UK

Tesla in the UK has to be a lucrative market but so many people who do love their cars comment about functions that don't work as expected or really are not fit for purpose, now I don't expect any company can make a product that is all things to all people but when the majority that comment identify something that doesn't function well or doesn't function at all you would think Tesla would be aware of this and take steps to address those concerns. like FSD and Summon, auto wipers, auto main beam, self parking, rather than announce in the very near future the car will find its own parking place nearby - we all know that's complete utter tosh. If USS isn't important and Vision will do it all then show us the vision working prior to removal of USS - make it seamless, convince us our lean towards sensors in the bumpers is misplaced and old hat, and vision will do it all much better - so we believe you.
You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, I'm a sceptic and you fooled me.