Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla in the UK has to be a lucrative market but so many people who do love their cars comment about functions that don't work as expected or really are not fit for purpose, now I don't expect any company can make a product that is all things to all people but when the majority that comment identify something that doesn't function well or doesn't function at all you would think Tesla would be aware of this and take steps to address those concerns.
Aren't Tesla already selling every vehicle they can possibly manufacture? With multi-month lead times on new orders? If they sat down and made the wipers and full beams perfect tomorrow, it's not like they would sell any more cars as a result.

There is zero pressure on them to improve at present. I would imagine we will see little development effort put towards any features that don't take the company forward towards the mission it's set for itself (or resolve irritations that affect employees senior enough to influence things. Basically, if you want good wipers start praying for rain in California).

Reactions: SalisburySam
Aren't Tesla already selling every vehicle they can possibly manufacture? With multi-month lead times on new orders? If they sat down and made the wipers and full beams perfect tomorrow, it's not like they would sell any more cars as a result.
Not in the UK by the looks of it. Worst case is March for new build, which is hardly a long lead time, and if you go through the stock, there's scores of unsold cars available. Some of those might be on boats on the way, or here already, but they're all made and ready in little time. Pages and pages and pages of them.

Might not be the case in the US, or elsewhere but it'd defo the case here, try it on the their site.

Reactions: CWT3LR and H43lio
Not in the UK by the looks of it. Worst case is March for new build, which is hardly a long lead time, and if you go through the stock, there's scores of unsold cars available. Some of those might be on boats on the way, or here already, but they're all made and ready in little time. Pages and pages and pages of them.
Might not be the case in the US, or elsewhere but it'd defo the case here, try it on the their site.
I admit I haven't checked. I know that it took 6 months to get the Y that I've just taken delivery of though.

Well, for those of us that have Tesla's already it'll be a good thing if Tesla have to start working harder to maintain sales.

Reactions: phil4
I admit I haven't checked. I know that it took 6 months to get the Y that I've just taken delivery of though.

Well, for those of us that have Tesla's already it'll be a good thing if Tesla have to start working harder to maintain sales.
There market has dropped away (maybe more accurate to say supply is now ahead of demand, I’m sure they’ll still sell lots). Lots of inventory globally, US customers are being offered with money off at the moment, China is behind where they want and they’ve decided to close the factory for a while, and while closing a factory for a period of maintenance isn’t unusual, they only did that in China a few months ago.

Triple whammy - things like USS putting off a few potential buyer, Musk and Twitter creating a political based negative sentiment to the brand and the economy struggling.

Anyway, single stack didn’t turn up as part of the holiday release, no software to simulate the USS, function so the fears that the “coming soon promise” from a few months ago wouldn’t be so quick are turning out to be true.

Basically, if you want good wipers start praying for rain in California).
We have plenty of rain, snow, fog, twisty mountain roads, tunnels, etc. They could test every failed feature without leaving the state. But you are dealing with religion - someone believes that every issue could be solved with Tesla Vision despite facts to the contrary.

Something happened to the company about 2 years ago. It did not use to be that way.

There market has dropped away (maybe more accurate to say supply is now ahead of demand, I’m sure they’ll still sell lots). Lots of inventory globally, US customers are being offered with money off at the moment, China is behind where they want and they’ve decided to close the factory for a while, and while closing a factory for a period of maintenance isn’t unusual, they only did that in China a few months ago.

Triple whammy - things like USS putting off a few potential buyer, Musk and Twitter creating a political based negative sentiment to the brand and the economy struggling.
You mean I've bought at the peak price and I'll be wanting to sell it on just at the time the market is flooded? It's sound financial strategies like this that have made me the millionaire I am today. 😭

Without wanting to state the obvious but given the conversation hasn’t moved on in 66 pages here goes:

The team that works on the infotainment will be different to those working on tesla vision. It’s a completely different programming discipline and people can’t just flip from one to the other.

Just because we are getting infotainment updates does not mean those resources are being taken away from wipers, headlights, USS replacement or autopilot or anything else that falls under tesla vision that we all seem to live a good moan about.

Without wanting to state the obvious but given the conversation hasn’t moved on in 66 pages here goes:

The team that works on the infotainment will be different to those working on tesla vision. It’s a completely different programming discipline and people can’t just flip from one to the other.

Just because we are getting infotainment updates does not mean those resources are being taken away from wipers, headlights, USS replacement or autopilot or anything else that falls under tesla vision that we all seem to live a good moan about.
Isn’t it the same company? That is the core of the issue - prioritizing a startup (FSD) messes up the mature business (EV). But the boss is obsessed with vertical integration.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Isn’t it the same company? That is the core of the issue - prioritizing a startup (FSD) messes up the mature business (EV). But the boss is obsessed with vertical integration.
I’m not following, yes it’s the same company but that doesn’t mean those that work on FSD/vision are the same people that work on the infotainment.

My response is specifically aimed at hose moaning about getting fart sounds via their tesla app and not a replacement for USS in the latest update.

The point is that while both are software, but they are completely different disciplines and those that work on the respective teams will not be easily redeployed in the other.

The issue is not that they are prioritising FSD (and only in the USA), it’s that they are making decisions to remove one thing before its replacement will be ready.

The replacement might even be rubbish but that’s sort of irrelevant. If the replacement has been deployed already we’d all be able to make an informed decision, but we can’t. At the minute all we have is ‘trust me bro’ which is unacceptable.

The decision to prioritize FSD over EV happens at the company level. It is a strategic one, not something that results in shifting programmers overnight. That strategic goal affects how EV-related decisions are made. Who cares about the USS? The FSD people will solve it some day. Throw it over the fence.

If the company was focused on EV then probably we would have had working auto wipers, auto high beams, USS, etc. Probably better, human-oriented UI too.

I bet Sony could make really great hot tubs if they put their mind to it, too. The fact is that making a self driving EV is Tesla’s objective. They have no interest in being just an EV manufacturer.

In preparation for my pickup of a Model 3 on Christmas Eve I have had to find a solution to parking very close to my house wall without USS. That wall would be very unforgiving on even the slightest touch, I am sure. I need to be close or the rear end will overhang the pavement. Backing in may be ok with the camera from all accounts but here is a little home made parking assist STOP signal for going in forwards. It only works in this one location, of course, but that is where I will be most of the time.. To replicate this idea you would need…

1. A small flowerpot or similar, lower than your front spoiler.
2. Grit or sand to weigh down the little pot
3. Most importantly, a stick whose top is visible from your driving position when inserted into the pot (Vertically)
4. An optional flag for the top of the stick to give it your own style and emphasise the stop point.

When set up in your desired stoping point as in the photo, inch towards the stick until the stick wobbles or moves then STOP

Maintenance: reset stick to vertical before each trip as required.

Seems to work Ok with my old car as a test ! ☺️
Look where your charger is, you need to reverse into that spot.

😭😭😭

Absolutely devastated today, Car was delivered after a very long wait, but i choose to not accept delivery as it had NO parking sensors.
Was reassured by Arval that it would come with sensors, and during delivery Tesla Bristol told me that they have not delivered a car with sensors since September.

Back to the drawing board for me then

I’d love to understand why. There are cameras for reverse with lines that can be used as guidance. Yes I be slightly more careful but I can park. For the front I can see, so that is covered when I reverse park.

I’m really curious to know why (no sensors) but reverse camera with the view park assist is coming is not something yoy could work with?

I was really concerned about it, but now I live without parking sensors fine. If anything, I’m more careful. It would be nice to have front parking sensors but again, I’m just careful and managed to park fine.

If they don’t make the technology work, I do think they retrofit.

If Tesla don’t retrofit or bring some kinda new sensor with a new name, I’ll be upset, not because I’d be able to park better no, but because I get FOMO with tech stuff.

If they don’t make the technology work, I do think they retrofit.

This is the bit I have a problem with. (Actually one of many 'bits' but let's just worry about this one for now!!!)

How long do Tesla give themselves before they 'bail'? The longer they try for a 'vision' based solution, the more cars delivered without USS and the higher the retrofit cost

My strong suspicion is they will come up with some 80-90% solution and consider that job done, though with some messing with OTA updates through time.

For me, it's poor and the whole experience makes me feel I am highly unlikely to welcome a third Tesla into the household.

I bet Sony could make really great hot tubs if they put their mind to it, too. The fact is that making a self driving EV is Tesla’s objective. They have no interest in being just an EV manufacturer.
And that's why the cars are so crap in comparison to other makes if you have this ridiculous idea that you ought to be able to drive it yourself. And why the company and the cars have gone backwards overthe last two years.