Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And 60% of the range / efficiency. Go fly with MG. Good luck.
A friend of mine has an MG ZS. You can’t compare it to an M3 because it’s nearly £20k less than the cheapest M3 and half the price of an M3P. But it still manages to do some things better. The auto windscreen wipers and AHB work perfectly, and it is significantly quieter and more refined at motorway speed than my M3P.

For the price it’s a cracking car. You get a lot more bang for your buck than you do with an M3 or MY.

My wife has an ID3. The VW software is crap from beginning to end. Over two years in and they haven’t managed to get OTA working beyond a very small wave of beta testers. Most owners will likely have sold their cars before getting a single OTA update at all. And the software desperately needs updates for basic stuff like timed charging, pre-conditioning for rapid charging, and fixing absolutely dreadful cold weather consumption (due to excessive battery heating from the moment the car wakes up). On top of all that, the phone app is awful, and the infotainment is slow with an absolutely terrible UI.

OTOH, it’s well built, the matrix headlights are great, the auto wipers work almost perfectly, and the lane following is pretty reliable (but not immune from phantom braking and misread speed signs etc).

But if I had to choose between the two, I’d go with the Tesla every time. But I have very low expectations of driving automation - imho they are all flawed and I wouldn’t trust them. In any case, I like driving.

caveat emptor.

For me, I purchased my M3 not expecting full FSD in the timeframe of my ownership, but purchased FSD instead to enjoy the journey, and have also ordered it for my next Tesla.

Unlike many here in this thread, my main frustration is a regulatory one rather than one aimed at Tesla.

IIRC this again is a regulatory requirement currently. The car sees (most of the time!) the correct colour lights (although never shows red + amber at same time), but will always need a confirmation to pass any light
What would inept auto wipers and auto high beams have to do with the regulator? What about the horrible UI system?! Unless, you think that the regulator have to be more aggressive, which I would agree with.

Reactions: CWT3LR
What happens in America is of zero relevance or interest to me. We will not see a Tesla achieve true FSD (i.e. at least Level 4 autonomy) in this country for many years, and that won’t just be because of regulatory issues.
It is weird to have a discussion about FSD when simple things like wipers do not work. Frankly, if they categorize it as a “driver assistance” it will be much more appreciated and accurate. Hope that CA DMV (regulator) help them reach that conclusion.

Reactions: Durzel and CWT3LR
Currently watching Mat Watson, testing the Renault Megane Etech. Between that and the MG4, there are cars >£20k cheaper, with a much better image than a Tesla, that offer 80% of the performance and 110% of the tech of a Tesla, with no worries your car gets progressively worse over time. Only fanboys ignore the fact they made a mistake.
Still, no one has the range and drivetrain of Tesla. And that is the most infuriating part - they are ruining an amazing EV with horrible software.

If Tesla used traditional, tried and tested tech for fundamentals like wipers and lights it’d allow their software “geniuses” to focus their software that could deliver the more advanced driving tools. Instead every update brings in tinkering bollocks that is unnecessary and not asked for.

My kettle at home makes perfect boiled water for tea. If Tesla were in charge of my house, every time they updated my tv or laptop software the kettle functionality would become variable.

Disconnect the essential services from the Mothership. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it and focus the tefal heads into cutting edge dev.

Yes, and based on the latest sales figures from Tesla, many people have realised that you get far more for far less from other manufacturers
what are you talking about?

production was up... sales were up.... Tesla is still selling every car they can make and at this point is still production constrained.

If you are talking about the 20k unsold production, they were on boats out of Shanghai. You cant complete sales when they are in the ocean.

Out of interest, mine doesn’t see the traffic lights that have an arrow or slot filter, as many do in the UK.
with the arrow light it seems to take a little longer to recognise the light colour also I have found.

still has an issue with double traffic lights as well, when one is directly above the other - still flickers between the two lights and does not plot them both at the same time accurately.

Reactions: MB11
I've watched a few videos on some Chinese cars and the big problem with them is the pretty rubbish software. I couldn't live with that. There's a Bjorn video where he has a huge moan about the "quirks" of Chinese software.

But it does look pretty nice, I'll give it that.

a hidden vin appeared for me at week end - showing a 2023 model- after I accepted the removal of USS online on account-
so I assume the 2023 model had USS removed -

Checked again today- and a new vin has appeared- showing a 2022 model?? so would this have USS ?

Now Im confused - am I better off with 2022 model- with USS or
2023 without - assuming technology/system is better some time in future

tried to get info from Tesla on chat- about as much good as a chocolate tea pot!!