Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very few if any of the numerous cars I drove between ages 17-45 had ultrasonic sensors & i never recall hitting or scraping anything.
There was a long period of time when bumpers were rubber (and contained no sensors) so you could touch something at low speed with zero damage, though. In fact, I believe there was a time when US type approval required cars to be able to hit something at somewhere in the region of 2mph without damage. (That didn't directly apply to us here, of course, but in practice manufacturers would often go for designs that would allow them to sell in the US without a major redesign.)

There was a long period of time when bumpers were rubber (and contained no sensors) so you could touch something at low speed with zero damage, though. In fact, I believe there was a time when US type approval required cars to be able to hit something at somewhere in the region of 2mph without damage. (That didn't directly apply to us here, of course, but in practice manufacturers would go for designs that would allow them to sell in the US without a major redesign.)
Look back in this thread to: Tesla Vision - Removal of UltraSonic Sensors

Reactions: Roy B
Very few if any of the numerous cars I drove between ages 17-45 had ultrasonic sensors & i never recall hitting or scraping anything.

In those days I was driving RHD/LHD company vehicles totalling 30-40k miles p/a or more & by necessity this included a lot of short urban journeys and constant parking.

I’m not downplaying the annoyance most feel about the lack of sensors but for me it is about by the attitude of Tesla themselves rather than the fact that I am now having to concentrate a little harder, just as I did successfully from the mid 70’s.
That's comparing apples to oranges. Cars back then were smaller and had much better visibility compared to today's oversized cars with letterbox sized rear windscreens

Reactions: MrBadger and CWT3LR
That's comparing apples to oranges. Cars back then were smaller and had much better visibility compared to today's oversized cars with letterbox sized rear windscreens
Not for me, a lot of them had longer bonnets & boots, no wing mirrors & all without cameras whereas after 3 prior years with a Model 3 I have a pretty good sense of where the extremities are (& have adapted to the Y being slightly larger).

…or maybe it’s just because I’m a battery-half-full type of old wrinkly?

Reactions: Mullermn

In those days I was driving RHD/LHD company vehicles totalling 30-40k miles p/a or more & by necessity this included a lot of short urban journeys and constant parking.

I’m not downplaying the annoyance most feel about the lack of sensors but for me it is about by the attitude of Tesla themselves rather than the fact that I am now having to concentrate a little harder, just as I did successfully from the mid 1970’s.
That's because they had a man at the front holding a flag though, wasn't it? 🙃

My first cars didn't have parking sensors to be honest, but that was mainly because they weren't presitgious enough and/or it was usually an optional extra that I didn't see the value in. They did exist, and as far as I know they've always looked and worked the same way (a bit like rain sensors :))

I absolutely wouldn't be without sensors in a modern car though, if nothing else because I don't buy newer cars to go back in time in terms of functionality on general principal.

I’m not downplaying the annoyance most feel about the lack of sensors but for me it is about by the attitude of Tesla themselves rather than the fact that I am now having to concentrate a little harder, just as I did successfully from the mid 1970’s.
Good for U
I am not aware of having USS with my previous cars
1987 Camry
1996 MB E-320 ... still driving it , great car. Maybe I got a "lemon" from MB
1997 Nissan Maxima
1998 Mercury Villager Van
2023 MYLR ... enjoying it , still learning about this car

There was a long period of time when bumpers were rubber (and contained no sensors) so you could touch something at low speed with zero damage, though. In fact, I believe there was a time when US type approval required cars to be able to hit something at somewhere in the region of 2mph without damage. (That didn't directly apply to us here, of course, but in practice manufacturers would often go for designs that would allow them to sell in the US without a major redesign.)
1673888739616.png

.....Shudders in Triumph.....

That's because they had a man at the front holding a flag though, wasn't it? 🙃

My first cars didn't have parking sensors to be honest, but that was mainly because they weren't presitgious enough and/or it was usually an optional extra that I didn't see the value in. They did exist, and as far as I know they've always looked and worked the same way (a bit like rain sensors :))

I absolutely wouldn't be without sensors in a modern car though, if nothing else because I don't buy newer cars to go back in time in terms of functionality on general principal.
"Sir wants a roof? I think then Sir would be more interested in a landau than our own al fresco offerings..."

Good for U
I am not aware of having USS with my previous cars
1987 Camry
1996 MB E-320 ... still driving it , great car. Maybe I got a "lemon" from MB
1997 Nissan Maxima
1998 Mercury Villager Van
2023 MYLR ... enjoying it , still learning about this car
Can you believe that my first car didn't even come with Netflix? How did we cope!

Oh yeah, that's right, technology is meant to evolve not devolve....

There are a lot of things on cars nowadays we take for granted so like anything else Skills are either used or lost, cars didn't have restraints or airbags, power steering, disk brakes, many drove on remoulds or crossplys, If you wanted a radio you bought it and fitted it yourself, no crumple zones or ABS and even no synchromesh so gear changes were double declutching, so stating I used to be able to park without sensors is not really a valid comment. We all started driving with less features in the cars we had then than we do now, but once you get used to these features you do tend to rely on them because we don't pay quite the same attention to that "something" the feature covers

Tesla may have lots of ideas of where they want to be but they are seriously damaging their reputation with the way they treat their customer base, and this latest stunt of getting people to pick up their cars early to get some free miles supercharging and then within weeks drop the retail price of their cars by thousands is a real smack in the mouth.

The "Coming soon" comment regarding Vision replacing the USS has been "coming" for quite some time now - just like robotaxi and now the Musk says the requirement to apply pressure on the steering wheel when in FSD mode will be gone next month - the mans a pathological liar and gone from an ambassador for Tesla to a complete liability. People would be less annoyed if Musk just shut up and delivered stuff as and when its ready rather than grand announcements that always fail to deliver to timescale.

I have USS and intend to keep them, if in the future an update is issued to disable them and vision takes over and I'm made aware of this in advance I wont install that or any future updates until others have confirmed Vision works like USS did. I'm not going to miss updates because many just screw up other functions that worked reasonably well. I'm not going to miss what I've never had.
Whilst I'm the first to admit some of the updates in the last two years have been useful the fact Summon doesn't work now and i believe from others self parking doesn't either (not something I've ever seen on my screen though) Auto main beam and wipers are worse and I'm sick of updates wrecking my headlamp aim I can live without them.

So, next step - tesla to remove the rear view camera.

because Very few if any of the numerous cars you drove between ages 17-45 had rear view camera & you never recall hitting or scraping anything.

So, next step - tesla to remove the rear view camera.

because Very few if any of the numerous cars you drove between ages 17-45 had rear view camera & you never recall hitting or scraping anything.

I keep getting thrown out of the Ritz because I only wear a loin cloth and use my hands to eat. They don’t buy the excuse that that’s what we use to do.

The world has moved on and they have different expectations these days.

🤣

Last edited: