Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or, they disable uss but use the same bumper as there is nothing to change, just to cover holes
Correct. Even if your car has physical USS (disabled) when you replace the bumper they will give you the same one as the USS-less cars. Also, ensure that you have the latest firmware, which is part of maintenance anyway.
Bumpers are just high strength molded plastic. However, that is one of the items that manufacturers use to affect the profit margin because it is relatively cheap to make and it sales a lot. Now, without USS, they will sell even more of them.
It is similar logic for software “inventory”. By disabling the USS they do not need to maintain two separate code bases - less coding and testing.
Add to the above the Tesla Vision dogma and they have every reason to disable USS as soon as possible.

Every singe van driver would be coughing up their tea at the idea of this being a nightmare.

I have had my Y all through the recent bad weather and put 1200 miles on it in that time, local and motorway driving and I can genuinely say there has been 1 occasion where the rear camera was obscured to the point of the guide lines not being very useful. However, even in that situation you still have the side repeater cameras. Look at your space as you approach it, pick a guide mark for where you want your car to be and use the side cameras (and mirrors) to align with it.

And yeah all the commentary about how this is not a problem Tesla should have caused is very valid, no disagreement there, but the car is very far from being hard to park.

I think people are massively overstating how ‘easy’ it is to park an older/smaller car and we all managed to do that as brand new drivers without crashing every day.

The number of posts on here that seem to regard USS as essential or a safety feature has been a real eye opener about the competence/confidence of the average motorist.
My cameras aren't great in the dark, especially the one on the boot. It could be due to the reversing light being quite dim. In my previous car I could easily reverse into my drive using the cameras but it's a lot harder with my M3.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Every singe van driver would be coughing up their tea at the idea of this being a nightmare.

I have had my Y all through the recent bad weather and put 1200 miles on it in that time, local and motorway driving and I can genuinely say there has been 1 occasion where the rear camera was obscured to the point of the guide lines not being very useful. However, even in that situation you still have the side repeater cameras. Look at your space as you approach it, pick a guide mark for where you want your car to be and use the side cameras (and mirrors) to align with it.

And yeah all the commentary about how this is not a problem Tesla should have caused is very valid, no disagreement there, but the car is very far from being hard to park.

I think people are massively overstating how ‘easy’ it is to park an older/smaller car and we all managed to do that as brand new drivers without crashing every day.

The number of posts on here that seem to regard USS as essential or a safety feature has been a real eye opener about the competence/confidence of the average motorist.
Hahaha! You're funny!

Reactions: H43lio
I don't get the USS issue - the camera still comes on - look behind you before you drive. Seems like basic common sense - Tesla has said they\re bringing the feature back with cameras once they get the bugs worked out - could be months. Years. Whatever - who doesn't look behind them before they back up?

Of course, I ordered my car without EAP for the very reason that most of the enhanced AP stuff isn't working whether you have the hardware or not!

I don't get the USS issue - the camera still comes on - look behind you before you drive. Seems like basic common sense - Tesla has said they\re bringing the feature back with cameras once they get the bugs worked out - could be months. Years. Whatever - who doesn't look behind them before they back up?

Of course, I ordered my car without EAP for the very reason that most of the enhanced AP stuff isn't working whether you have the hardware or not!
More of an issue in the UK than where you are I suspect. Our parking spaces are barely larger than a MY so trying to swing in/out of one with cars either side and knowing where your corners are is very useful. Also getting as close as possible at the front is often needed but with the sloping nose on the M3/MY it is difficult to know exactly where that is without USS or camera.

I assume from your bio that you live in Arizona. Average annual rainfall for you is just over 12 inches. Where I live? Just over 50 inches. And over 135 days of rain per year. And we salt the roads as soon as it gets to below 38F. Which it does maybe 30 days a year.

Yes, I look behind me - but after 100 miles to work yesterday neither the back window or rear camera were usable in any way, because Tesla cheaped out and didn't install a rear windscreen wiper or a camera washer. So yes, for me at least, after 35 years of driving, sometimes backwards, I can say that the Model Y would be significantly more shite in reverse than it already is without USS. Even if a camera solution is proposed.

More of an issue in the UK than where you are I suspect. Our parking spaces are barely larger than a MY so trying to swing in/out of one with cars either side and knowing where your corners are is very useful. Also getting as close as possible at the front is often needed but with the sloping nose on the M3/MY it is difficult to know exactly where that is without USS or camera.
1674147831507.png

UK size is slightly smaller than the parking space guide on the left. If we had spaces the size of the US Standard/large on the right, we would have to convert France to a garage.

And today's missing the point award goes to...

No we don't need USS, like we don't need electric windows, power steering, air conditioning (you might disagree on that one over there), reverse camera, etc, etc. But these are cars in a price segment that has all that, these used to have USS, still did when many placed their orders, and all there is to replace them is a promise.

And the only people confident the camera solution will be as good as the USS wear Elon Musk pyjamas to sleep.

I don't get the USS issue.....
For me it is less the fact that USS have been removed from my car, more the way Tesla have handled this.

I ordered my car in April 2022 in a Tesla showroom following a demo which I closed Park Assist etc.

My car was delivered without USS and associated features.

I was not informed before, during or after of this change in spec.

In emails to customer service I have been variously patronised, treated with suspicion and contempt.

That is the USS issue for me.

For me it is less the fact that USS have been removed from my car, more the way Tesla have handled this.

I ordered my car in April 2022 in a Tesla showroom following a demo which I closed Park Assist etc.

My car was delivered without USS and associated features.

I was not informed before, during or after of this change in spec.

In emails to customer service I have been variously patronised, treated with suspicion and contempt.

That is the USS issue for me.
that is completely different from moi . . . and I can appreciate your feeling around it.

I guess we now have to come to terms with the fact that Tesla has become more of an economy car manufacturer than a premium one. Removing features for TV (aka the greater good) will certainly also raise profit margins and this seems more important than listening to customer feedback and communication with the customers on why (and when etc.). But hey - we are free to choose another car brand if we want to.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Boza
TESLA: You don’t need parking sensors anymore sir, we’re doing everything with TESLAVISION.

TESLAVISION:

View attachment 897680
Tesla seems completely out of touch with customer feedback to be honest, sales reps at service centers are no point talking to because they get no info either. And when country managers are asked they all reply "no comment".