Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve talked to them about chopping in my ‘21 M3 SR+ for a MY but after a couple of test drives have made it clear no Mr Parky Beep (technical term) is a show stopper. It’s something I’ve had on every car for at least 25 years so if they think not having it on a £50k car in 2023 they're on crack, frankly.

What I think is telling is that I’ve offered to place the order now and pay for the car in full up front (100% FYA I can put through in this tax year which massively works for me - plus locks in trade in value!) - but only provided I can defer delivery until they sort their shite out.

They’re not biting on that. They keep sending emails like “ooh! low mileage used one with Mr Parky Beep” - but I can’t claim 100% FYA on that. Yes first world problems but - as I say - refusing hard cash money in ready to carry bundles does paint a picture…

So yet another month has arrived with no sign of a replacement for USS which apparently was supposed to be coming “soon”. Would anyone like to guess when it will arrive?

And when it does it might not even work.
Full Self Driving has also been coming soon since 2016 is it? I'm expecting it to move to the next stage, "Not long now" anytime.

I’ve talked to them about chopping in my ‘21 M3 SR+ for a MY but after a couple of test drives have made it clear no Mr Parky Beep (technical term) is a show stopper. It’s something I’ve had on every car for at least 25 years so if they think not having it on a £50k car in 2023 they're on crack, frankly.

What I think is telling is that I’ve offered to place the order now and pay for the car in full up front (100% FYA I can put through in this tax year which massively works for me - plus locks in trade in value!) - but only provided I can defer delivery until they sort their shite out.

They’re not biting on that. They keep sending emails like “ooh! low mileage used one with Mr Parky Beep” - but I can’t claim 100% FYA on that. Yes first world problems but - as I say - refusing hard cash money in ready to carry bundles does paint a picture…
Mr Parky Beep. I like that, do you have a trademark on that or can I steal it? The wife would love to use that I'm sure ;)

I currently have a 2022 registered Model 3 as a loaner while my own car (2021 LR) spends the next few months (part joking, part truth) in their service center. Now I noticed that this loan car doesn't seem to have any form of Parking Assist at all. By that I mean, no beeping (couldn't even find an option to turn this on) and no visuals in the form of squiggly lines or distance measurements.

Putting 2+2 together, I concluded that this must be the same as the topic of this thread, but without reading 100 odd pages of replies, I assumed those cars would be using cameras to do the same job, which clearly isn't the case with this one.

Is this a one off or do current cars not have any form of park assist?

Tesla wanted to save money before they had a working alternative ready.

New Tesla customers seemingly don't care enough (or not in sufficient volume to make a difference) to actually not buy the cars regardless.

Blame on both sides I think.
Guilty as charged Guv.
1ce496c795f686553d03eab81738de7d.gif

I knew that my second Tesla wouldn't have USS (only via this forum, no communication from Tesla since ordering at the beginning of 2022) & chose to proceed because I didn't take much notice of the sensors on the previous car, preferring to use the mirrors and cameras anyway.

So far, after ~2000 miles I haven't actually had any problems and can park within an inch or two of anything (that was) visible in front and likewise behind as long as the rear camera is reasonably clear. It obviously helps that a Y is very similar to the 3 and I was already familiar with the position of the cars' extremities.

I do now carry a small (former perfume) spray bottle in the door pocket and a cloth which is obviously an additional inconvenience. Being a Tesla cynic I have no expectation whatsoever that a visual solution will be offered soon, nor will it be satisfactory but I am quite an adaptable person (a mandatory requirement for any Tesla owner)

Tesla wanted to save money before they had a working alternative ready.

New Tesla customers seemingly don't care enough (or not in sufficient volume to make a difference) to actually not buy the cars regardless.

Blame on both sides I think.
As a new Tesla customer I beg to differ...and not accept any share of the guilt.

I was given a demo in a car with USS and associated functionality. I ordered a car that day in April 2022.

My car was delivered without USS and without a word from Tesla before, during or after regarding this change.

For me, rejecting the car was not a practical proposition...but goodness me, I wish it had been.

Reactions: CWT3LR
As a new Tesla customer I beg to differ...and not accept any share of the guilt.

I was given a demo in a car with USS and associated functionality. I ordered a car that day in April 2022.

My car was delivered without USS and without a word from Tesla before, during or after regarding this change.

For me, rejecting the car was not a practical proposition...but goodness me, I wish it had been.
I can sympathise, your case (and others like you) sound more unique, but ultimately it’s still a sale recorded on Tesla’s accounts and ostensibly another customer who doesn’t care that USS is missing, or not enough to do anything about it - inconvenience or not.

Tesla are not pressured to sort this quickly when their sales numbers are essentially unaffected.

I am honestly curious, aside from the network, what other benefits 3/Y have over the competition? Curious about the decision process for those of you who ordered 3/Y. (S/X are more distinct, for now).
  • Energy efficiency including minimal conversion losses when charging.
  • Among the best for rated & usable range.
  • Walk-up open->PIN->drive simplicity including ring as key if needed, walk away lock.
  • Plenty of storage including a usable Frunk.
  • Uninterrupted panoramic roof (Model Y).
  • Software updates without visiting a dealer.
  • Sentry mode is occasionally useful.

Personal preference:
  • Minimalism of no buttons or switches & have no issue with using a single centre screen.
  • I also enjoy driving a Tesla with performance when needed, ie overtaking.
There are things to dislike too but nothing in life is perfect & I've been pleasantly surprised how much more I prefer the Y over my former 3.

Having said all this, if asked I always point out the numerous frustrations that can come with Tesla ownership & on that basis I usually come across as rather negative. In my opinion, Teslas' overall attitude to their customers justifies that stance.

Last edited:
I am honestly curious, aside from the network, what other benefits 3/Y have over the competition? Curious about the decision process for those of you who ordered 3/Y. (S/X are more distinct, for now).
Generally speaking, it’s just a good overall package, you can actually get one in a reasonable amount of time and it’s (now) priced appropriately compared to the competition.

Is the BMW a nicer place to be? Yes of course but you have to pay for the privilege. Can a Hyundai Ionic 5 charge faster? Sometimes yes but it doesn’t go as far on a charge.

Does the tesla have frustrations? Absolutely but that doesn’t means others also don’t and it doesn’t change that it’s a good package.

Reactions: zoomer0056 and Boza
I’m amazed how resilient the car is to parking scrapes. Whilst parked outside Tesco this morning some old dear reversed into my front near side, causing the alarm/sentry to trigger. She obviously then drove off.
The sentry clip shows it was a decent bump, yet there’s no deformation, scratch or scuff. Just a slight discolouration where she hit, which I’m sure will come out with some decent polish.
Yes I’m fuming.
I’m thankful for Sentry.
I’m lucky it’s no real damage.

If it’d been my whoopsie due to no USS I’d have been very pleased how robust the car/paint are.

First pic is of the car post collision. Second is after I’d cleaned the area, showing some slight paint transfer.

B6AADFA9-BCAE-49EC-80AF-0681D0D2428F.jpeg
074552F3-F8CC-473C-BB78-ACD33E4558B7.jpeg