Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be curious to know how accurate the measurements are with USS, never gave it a second thought to check the accuracy on my previous Model 3.

Anyone with USS fancy having a measure? Not a trolling question, genuinely curious, as I just took the measurements at face value.

Whilst I fully agree Tesla did this arse-about-face, I'm hoping this will stop at least some of the whinging, looks fairly good so far, looking forward to giving it a try.

Do we agree that even if this is the foundation for all the other features they have just enabled the Park Assist beeps & visualisations?

No Autopark / Summon for EAP/FSD users yet, right?
Don't know about for this particular update, but I saw on one of the FSD Beta videos that Autopark was back, so guessing that's "coming soon" - will have to see when this gets rolled out to those who paid for EAP/FSD

I'd be curious to know how accurate the measurements are with USS, never gave it a second thought to check the accuracy on my previous Model 3.

Anyone with USS fancy having a measure? Not a trolling question, genuinely curious, as I just took the measurements at face value.

Whilst I fully agree Tesla did this arse-about-face, I'm hoping this will stop at least some of the whinging, looks fairly good so far, looking forward to giving it a try.
I checked mine a couple of years ago when I revamped the garage. It was accurate within an inch. It tells me to stop at 12 inches and it’s about right

Reactions: DaveW
I checked mine a couple of years ago when I revamped the garage. It was accurate within an inch. It tells me to stop at 12 inches and it’s about right
Thanks @Dilly - on early impressions then, this doesn't look too far out. Early days of course, hopefully it'll be a quick rollout.

I know roughly where I used to stop on my drive to 34 inches based on the driveway blocks, that's about as close as I got to measuring :)

Reactions: Dilly

Looks surprisingly accurate in this particular case within this thread. He also shows videos after the car has been parked for a while, seems there is a short loading period when the call is recalling what it has memorised when parking.
Memorised when parking? What can possibly go wrong with that approach when someone parks closer in front of you ;)

• Funny
Reactions: MrBadger
Won't the front camera see the car?
If only they had a camera in the front bumper so they can see how close a car is ;)
Basically they are replying on building up a model of what is in front of you as you drive forwards, which can't possibly work when you are stationary and something changes in front of you when the car is turned off, as the cameras above the mirror will only see the bonnet...
I guess they could try leaving the front cameras on all the time so they can see things changing, but the vampire drain is going to be something else :)

Does it matter though if someone parks closer while the Tesla is parked? Surely when you return to the car you're just going to reverse out the space and go on your merry way
Remember, when we're assessing these parking functions NO scenario is too ridiculous. Sure, you might think that in order to move your parked car you have to walk to the door and can therefore look at what's in front of it, but what about those people exercising their god-given right to climb to the driver's seat via the trunk?

Remember, when we're assessing these parking functions NO scenario is too ridiculous. Sure, you might think that in order to move your parked car you have to walk to the door and can therefore look at what's in front of it, but what about those people exercising their god-given right to climb to the driver's seat via the trunk?
It is almost as if people are looking for reasons to criticise. Not that I would ever suggest such motives are in play...

I don't know about other people but I even take the USS "advice" with a pinch of salt depending on the situation. I've known them beep frantically when I know it's clear and I've known them occasionally be a bit tardy in giving their distances. Similarly I've had a human directing me from outside my mini-bus years ago and he carefully guided me into a ditch! I don't expect any system to be infallible but hopefully this new alternative can be at least as good as what people are used to.

I don't know about other people but I even take the USS "advice" with a pinch of salt depending on the situation. I've known them beep frantically when I know it's clear and I've known them occasionally be a bit tardy in giving their distances. Similarly I've had a human directing me from outside a mini-bus years ago and he carefully guided me into a ditch! I don't expect any system to be infallible but hopefully this new alternative can be at least as good as what people are used to.
The system seems to be judging the distance to kerbs which I think could be a major advantage over USS.

It is almost as if people are looking for reasons to criticise. Not that I would ever suggest such motives are in play...
Not sure about the 3/S/X but the Y at least has got a turning circle like a cruise ship. If an object has appeared inside the front camera blind spot and you aren't able to back up enough for it to come in to frame then you aren't getting out of that space anyway.

The system seems to be judging the distance to kerbs which I think could be a major advantage over USS.
Yep and I'm sure most people would take that over the ability of climbing in through the boot or whatever other wild scenario people can think of.

My concern is what happens when the camera is dirty. Which, in the winter, is most days in the UK.
I've not seen any footage yet but I'm guessing it will give you a park assist unavailable error or something.

I don't know about other people but I even take the USS "advice" with a pinch of salt depending on the situation. I've known them beep frantically when I know it's clear and I've known them occasionally be a bit tardy in giving their distances.
Not my experience at all. For nearly five years my USS has been spot on, every time. In an early anal exercise, I measured the physical distance from the bumper to the garage wall at a point when the USS indicators said “STOP,” supposedly at 12 inches. Ruler verified 12 inches. Similarly, the diagonal distance to an angled wall: again almost exactly 12 inches. Pretty happy with my USS, its operation, and its accuracy.