Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In darkness it doesn't see the edge of the drive without side illumination so this would presumably be an issue in narrow unlit spaces at night.

Was that with the car arriving in the dark, or had it arrived there in daylight so might have had a chance to persist what it saw when light but it didn't recall it now its dark? I understand that it might remember things from earlier should it not be able to see things later, ie darkness.

Was that with the car arriving in the dark, or had it arrived there in daylight so might have had a chance to persist what it saw when light but it didn't recall it now its dark? I understand that it might remember things from earlier should it not be able to see things later, ie darkness.
No, I arrived home in the dark at 20.50. The other image was taken mid afternoon.

There’s something strange with the rear camera images since .6.9 on my car when I compare Park Assist clips (or new Dashcam clips) to previous Dashcam clips.

As I posted above, ‘new’ PA clips do not show a symmetrical view of the car as seen at the edges of the rear image, it’s slightly twisted.

However I’ve looked at recent Dashcam clips both from this Model Y & from the earlier Model 3. All are correctly symmetrical right up until two days ago when the car updated to include Park Assist.

A Dashcam rear view from 27 March has different curvature on the camera image to a Dashcam view taken a few minutes ago (which is now slightly lopsided as noted above). There is more of the boot area below the camera now visible than before, both using Dashcam and when reversing so software has caused the slightly lopsided view on my car, not the position of the camera itself which has not changed.

I’m out all day but happy to post comparative images later to demonstrate this if anyone wants to see it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zilla91
I've got the update ready to download tonight when the good lady brings the car home. I did think that after we got the car on 9th December, she'd notice the lack of parking sensors, and I'd have to explain about them and how Tesla Vision is coming (a tough sell imo for a £60k car). Anyway, it's never been mentioned, but its sod's law she'll be complaining about all the squiggly lines in a couple of days time 😄

I've got the update ready to download tonight when the good lady brings the car home. I did think that after we got the car on 9th December, she'd notice the lack of parking sensors, and I'd have to explain about them and how Tesla Vision is coming (a tough sell imo for a £60k car). Anyway, it's never been mentioned, but its sod's law she'll be complaining about all the squiggly lines in a couple of days time 😄
My girlfriend did exactly that yesterday - "I don't like all those wavey lines and the beeps, can you turn them off?" 😂

Reactions: rowedav and boombap
As a person whose car was ordered with Sensors and delivered without, I’ve been waiting for this update for 4 months (The car arrived Dec 2022)

I have to say it’s utter junk, doesn’t load quickly enough, weather and lighting stop it from working and its inaccurate in measurement hence the constant stop message even when you are miles from any objects.

I really feel let down and no way I would trust this to summon the car without a driver’s eyes. I will join the others now who are taking action in the UK. Sorry but I feel really cheated.

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap and adsheff
As a person whose car was ordered with Sensors and delivered without, I’ve been waiting for this update for 4 months (The car arrived Dec 2022)

I have to say it’s utter junk, doesn’t load quickly enough, weather and lighting stop it from working and its inaccurate in measurement hence the constant stop message even when you are miles from any objects.

I really feel let down and no way I would trust this to summon the car without a driver’s eyes. I will join the others now who are taking action in the UK. Sorry but I feel really cheated.
Tesla: "In the near future, once these features achieve performance parity to today’s vehicles, they will be restored via a series of over-the-air software updates..."

Presumably Tesla believe the functionality rolling out now achieves performance parity with the USS based systems?

Have to say that I have not experienced any delay at all in the initialising of the squiggly lines. Maybe I'm touching the brake pedal just before buckling-up, and its done by then? I did park at some shops, was gone maybe 20 mins, and on return the lines were there instantly, which is better than I was expecting given people's reports.

Regarding the 'not available; messages, I think I learned today that these have a minimum time to appear (presumably so you can read them). I've seen it say 'park assist unavailable' a few times, only to immediately then see the lines.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Have to say that I have not experienced any delay at all in the initialising of the squiggly lines. Maybe I'm touching the brake pedal just before buckling-up, and its done by then? I did park at some shops, was gone maybe 20 mins, and on return the lines were there instantly, which is better than I was expecting given people's reports.

Regarding the 'not available; messages, I think I learned today that these have a minimum time to appear (presumably so you can read them). I've seen it say 'park assist unavailable' a few times, only to immediately then see the lines.
it's light now.

let me know what performance you will have in the winter after some motorway miles :D
because when I try to park at night - rear camera is basically unusable as it muddy as hell.

will be interesting :D