Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. No one is questioning yours or other forum users love for cars or Tesla. But Elon’s business will get crushed by the Germans if he sticks to the same UI for another year. Not sure whether you are watching what the German manufacturers are doing. They crushed the British car industry not just by manufacturing reliable cars but by flooding the market with the same cars with different configurations both Beemer and Audi are the best example. You can see now they have started the same with electric cars - there is a Q4 and this has two versions both rear and all wheel drive, will be followed by Q3 and they already have a Q7 normal and Q8 coupe is on production. All of them electric with all comes with 2 configuration with four models.

I don’t think Elon wants that approach. He wants to change this whole game. Software is one of Teslas strength other than batteries and single casting machine and giga factories. So he is going to fight using only his strengths which I think British car industry did not do when the Germans were decimating auto industry in Britain.

I am not very happy with the UI but I did 150 miles today in a really bad weather with AP engaged. I can tell you you get lots of time when you engage AP and drive to use the lights, heaters, audio etc and it wasn’t anyway harder than how it used to be. In fact there was an accident just few cars infront of me, the AP worked as it should do and I had so much of reaction time to engage all the controls and come to a stop without getting hit.

So in a futuristic self driving cars it doesn’t really matter how many touches you take to use heated seats or fog lights. Yes of course it matters now but the UI isn’t that bad as we think it is!
>>Software is one of Teslas strength<<
Exactly opposite to my opinion, FWIW! Leaving the autopilot aside - it's really a separate issue - I think the UI, the emphasis on automatic lights and wipers that don't work half the time, voice recognition that doesn't and constantly changing the appearance of the display are the opposite of good programming and in some cases borderline dangerous.

>>So in a futuristic self driving cars it doesn’t really matter how many touches you take to use heated seats or fog lights. Yes of course it matters now but the UI isn’t that bad as we think it is!<<
I agree that the UI is aimed at a car which is driving itself, in which case if you don't want to have a snooze you can play with the UI and try and figure out today's display, but present Teslas are never going to be in the level 4 or 5 groups so the argument is irrelevant. The hundreds of beta videos on YouTube show how far the development has progressed - and it's a hell of a long way - but the many so-called "edge cases", most of which are situations that a human handles almost without conscious effort are the killers. Almost none of the videos show a car going from A to B without some interventions. Even tapping the accelerator to force the car to continue is a black mark IMO - imagine the road rage if thousands of cars on auto won't filter into gaps that we take for granted.

New update apart from the silly stuff, I do like the blind spot camera. But I really would like the window in a different position or have the ability to move it (which I have not tried so forgive if you can). Bottom right is probably for the left hand drive cars rather than UK cars.
I’m guessing they don’t want to cover the map in case you at navigating somewhere, or just want it close to the driver. LHD vehicles get it bottom left.

You can't possibly do a shoulder check and check and comprehend what the camera image says given the relative positions easily or quickly enough. Audi are being panned for their camera wing mirrors put at least they're positioned to the side of the car where you'd need it. yet some think the blindspot mirror is an asset?

Blindspot cameras, unless you're a lorry about to turn left at 5mph and want to check you're not about to take a cyclist out are pretty much a waste of time in practice. What they need to do is process the image and to see if its safe and warn you with a flashing light or some other binary signal (warning or no warning). This is what other systems do, often a flashing light in the wing mirror. easy to see, especially with peripheral vision. Let's not kid ourselves that this is a real, day to day, blindspot system thats useful except in a few niche situations.

Real world review from my wife, who like the majority of drivers doesn’t give a fig about light shows, hidden Easter Eggs or even blind spot cameras…

“Where is everything, I can’t find my profile to change the seat or turn on the heated rear window, or find the music, and the text is too small to read. It’s Cr@p!” She quite rightly just wants to get in a car and drive it with the ability to use basic functions without thinking too hard.

On that basis, the update is a massive fail.

Yeah, I think the blindspot camera is a bit of a gimmick, you should be looking outside in the direction you overtake not left at your screen in the opposite direction to the overtake. Tesla couldn't have put it anywhere else really: if it covered your app/map on the left it would be the most annoying thing in the world if you were trying to use that app or navigate so it has to go on the right-hand pane and at the top would interfere with the speed so they've put it at the bottom. If people like it then fair enough, I'm just skeptical it is actually useful and safer to use in most circumstances. Using the cameras to detect when something is in your blind spot and displaying that with warnings or alerts makes a lot more sense and I assume that will come.

Having now used the new update a fair bit I don't hate the V11 UI, I think a lot of things are actually in better positions now:

- The menus seem better laid out and more consistent to me
- merging the heated seats/temp pages which were separate tabs into one view makes a lot of sense
- introducing "auto" heated seats also is a big improvement, in theory removing a lot of clicks, certainly worked well in my use so far.
- tyre pressures in the service screen makes complete sense, not sure why people are checking their pressures all the time really. I think it's just a case of getting used to something which actually didn't really make sense where it was. I prefer the new trip view in the settings.

However, I think like everyone has mentioned making things more clicks isn't ideal. Removing the things that were in the bottom bar and at the top was a big mistake and I don't really understand why. I would:

- Get rid of the recent apps bit and make it so you can get at least 7 custom apps along the bottom.
- Make it so any (or lots more) controls can be a shortcut, so you can add the heated seats or windows back or even add custom ones like fog light or heated wheel
- Add back the shortcuts to profiles, dashcam, sentry etc at the top of the screen.

Think that would solve the vast majority of things "wrong" with V11 in my opinion.

Blindspot cameras, unless you're a lorry about to turn left at 5mph and want to check you're not about to take a cyclist out are pretty much a waste of time in practice. What they need to do is process the image and to see if its safe and warn you with a flashing light or some other binary signal (warning or no warning). This is what other systems do, often a flashing light in the wing mirror. easy to see, especially with peripheral vision. Let's not kid ourselves that this is a real, day to day, blindspot system thats useful except in a few niche situations.
I would agree that it would be improved by the type of warning system you mention, but wonder if it is (as @hellodave suggests,) a work in progress?

In the same way, the matrix headlights can now project 'TESLA' it might be reasonable to anticipate (or hope?) they will be updated to provide the sort of useful functions other matrix lights do.

Yeah, I think the blindspot camera is a bit of a gimmick, you should be looking outside in the direction you overtake not left at your screen in the opposite direction to the overtake. Tesla couldn't have put it anywhere else really: if it covered your app/map on the left it would be the most annoying thing in the world if you were trying to use that app or navigate so it has to go on the right-hand pane and at the top would interfere with the speed so they've put it at the bottom. If people like it then fair enough, I'm just skeptical it is actually useful and safer to use in most circumstances. Using the cameras to detect when something is in your blind spot and displaying that with warnings or alerts makes a lot more sense and I assume that will come.

Having now used the new update a fair bit I don't hate the V11 UI, I think a lot of things are actually in better positions now:

- The menus seem better laid out and more consistent to me
- merging the heated seats/temp pages which were separate tabs into one view makes a lot of sense
- introducing "auto" heated seats also is a big improvement, in theory removing a lot of clicks, certainly worked well in my use so far.
- tyre pressures in the service screen makes complete sense, not sure why people are checking their pressures all the time really. I think it's just a case of getting used to something which actually didn't really make sense where it was. I prefer the new trip view in the settings.

However, I think like everyone has mentioned making things more clicks isn't ideal. Removing the things that were in the bottom bar and at the top was a big mistake and I don't really understand why. I would:

- Get rid of the recent apps bit and make it so you can get at least 7 custom apps along the bottom.
- Make it so any (or lots more) controls can be a shortcut, so you can add the heated seats or windows back or even add custom ones like fog light or heated wheel
- Add back the shortcuts to profiles, dashcam, sentry etc at the top of the screen.

Think that would solve the vast majority of things "wrong" with V11 in my opinion.
You can save the last 10 minutes of dash cam with a voice command "Save Dash Cam". The previous experience at the top was far too fiddly for me to really be happy using while driving.

I agree with giving people more options for customizing the bottom bar, and that most recent is unnecessary unless it's needed to close the app.

You can save the last 10 minutes of dash cam with a voice command "Save Dash Cam". The previous experience at the top was far too fiddly for me to really be happy using while driving.

Unfortunately voice commands only work when you are in a good LTE reception area. This wouldn't work in the areas I need to use it ... and I can't see whether the voice is likely to work because the LTE status is now concealed from view without interacting with the screen. I think I'll just need to stick with pressing the horn ...

I would agree that it would be improved by the type of warning system you mention, but wonder if it is (as @hellodave suggests,) a work in progress?

In the same way, the matrix headlights can now project 'TESLA' it might be reasonable to anticipate (or hope?) they will be updated to provide the sort of useful functions other matrix lights do.
Of course they might, but as of now they haven't, and its now I drive the car. I don't know why I'm surprised having had Teslas for nearly 6 years now, I guess you get tired of Tesla punting out incomplete and badly conceived partial solutions and then taking 3 years+ trying to make them actually do what they promised, and each time watching many of the new to Tesla getting excited by them only to see them eventually also get fed up waiting.

I mentioned earlier my wife wasn't happy and she has confirmed she's not bothered about driving the Tesla again. She may come round, but she's now saying we should go and look at the i4 and get rid of the "tin can" you can't open!

Real world review from my wife, who like the majority of drivers doesn’t give a fig about light shows, hidden Easter Eggs or even blind spot cameras…

“Where is everything, I can’t find my profile to change the seat or turn on the heated rear window, or find the music, and the text is too small to read. It’s Cr@p!” She quite rightly just wants to get in a car and drive it with the ability to use basic functions without thinking too hard.

On that basis, the update is a massive fail.
I'm not saying the update is a massive fail. That must be a subjective decision. But we all get some 'new car learning curve' issues every time regularly used controls shift around. Forcing such changes on the grounds that they are absolutely 'better' when that is clearly not the case is at least wrong if not dangerous (lighting and wiper functions for example).

The 'oh sh**` moment when your concentration is taken away from the road at just the wrong moment isn't good.

Based on my experience of voice control, the notion that it is a usable (dependable, consistent) alternative to button-type controls is a joke.

Well, my first proper drive since installing v11. The speed, and the lane change camera, could not be in a worse place. My hand/arm covers both of them. I could see how it'd work with LHD cars, but with RHD it seems pretty badly thought out.

I disagree. No one is questioning yours or other forum users love for cars or Tesla. But Elon’s business will get crushed by the Germans if he sticks to the same UI for another year. Not sure whether you are watching what the German manufacturers are doing. They crushed the British car industry not just by manufacturing reliable cars but by flooding the market with the same cars with different configurations both Beemer and Audi are the best example. You can see now they have started the same with electric cars - there is a Q4 and this has two versions both rear and all wheel drive, will be followed by Q3 and they already have a Q7 normal and Q8 coupe is on production. All of them electric with all comes with 2 configuration with four models.

I don’t think Elon wants that approach. He wants to change this whole game. Software is one of Teslas strength other than batteries and single casting machine and giga factories. So he is going to fight using only his strengths which I think British car industry did not do when the Germans were decimating auto industry in Britain.

I am not very happy with the UI but I did 150 miles today in a really bad weather with AP engaged. I can tell you you get lots of time when you engage AP and drive to use the lights, heaters, audio etc and it wasn’t anyway harder than how it used to be. In fact there was an accident just few cars infront of me, the AP worked as it should do and I had so much of reaction time to engage all the controls and come to a stop without getting hit.

So in a futuristic self driving cars it doesn’t really matter how many touches you take to use heated seats or fog lights. Yes of course it matters now but the UI isn’t that bad as we think it is!
I have to disagree with you. To date, Teslas have sold to a small group of early adopters who like to try out new technology and are willing to put up with its teething problems and quirks. However, the company is now moving into the mass market, where users do not want to wake up in the morning and find that most of their driving controls have been moved around and, in some cases hidden away, in an apparently random fashion. From what I read (so far, my car has had the good sense to refuse to complete downloading the update), some of the changes in this latest update are the equivalent of BMW or Audi sneaking into your car at night and moving the lighting contol and seat heater switches into the glove box!

The Germans don't do this kind of thing and, if Tesla persist in doing it, they will be crushed by the Germans, because the Germans don't do it as they know that mass market doesn't want it. Some of the comments above, quoting family members' reactions to the new UI, bear this out. i.e., I can't find all my controls! Get rid go this tin can and buy me an i4!

As for self driving - not a chance on the rural B roads and back roads round here in Wiltshire. Whereas having to go through menus to find important controls at nigh will end up in a car to hedge or tree incident sooner or later.

voice commands only work when you are in a good LTE reception area
^^^^ This. And in my experience certain planets need to be in alignment also.... certainly not a dependable means of control. I reckon 50-50 success rate or worse around my home. I only try voice commands from time to time to see if they work!! Never use them as a primary means of control as they let me down way too often.

I am catching up with the discussions of the Holiday release (still on page 10 of 23), so apologies if my questions have been answered already. I have 3 questions/observations regarding the new display layout:
1) The Driver Profile is no longer visible on the main display. In order to switch the driver profile, it now requires click on Car button, click Driver profile, select desired Driver profile, Swipe down to close the screen = total 4 moves vs 2 in the past (I have two Profile settings for myself plus Easy Access, which I change depending on the driving purpose, so the old set up was better for me). Also, the voice command does not recognise "Driver Profile". Any possibility to have a shortcut to switching between the driver profiles?
2) Front Car Seat heating buttons are no longer visible on the display. To change, it now requires click on Climate and then on the car seat. The extra click is not an issue, but I just liked to have car seat heating visible on the main screen all the time (to see if my passenger wastes the battery!). I guess it is not possible to make the seat heating status always visible?
3) When I press and hold the "Car" button for 5 seconds, the following message appears "Thank you for your feedback". What does pressing the Carb button do? What feedback did I send to Tesla?
Thank you and enjoy the new update!
PS. The light show is awesome!

Attachments

• Car button.jpg
    Car button.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: Magstauk