Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Teslas now 1 year / 10k mile warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better than a new warranty but without knowing the actual in service date it may have already been in service for close to a year. If so it might only be just a bit better, still a good deal as long as it has no damage which they don’t let you see first which is the sketchy part of their used cars.
If you click on view details, it will show you in service month and year

I think people would have less heartburn with the warranty period if the repair market wasn't so restrictive. Salvage vehicles aside, I can probably count on one hand the number of EV shops working on these across the US. Tesla often repairs things in the most expensive way possible, and labor rates are approaching $200/hr.

This is actually the first car I've ever bought that had a warranty. I typically buy used cars and work on them myself, but Tesla's resistance to "outsiders" repairing them makes the warranty all that more valuable as the repair costs remain very high.

I think people would have less heartburn with the warranty period if the repair market wasn't so restrictive. Salvage vehicles aside, I can probably count on one hand the number of EV shops working on these across the US. Tesla often repairs things in the most expensive way possible, and labor rates are approaching $200/hr.

This is actually the first car I've ever bought that had a warranty. I typically buy used cars and work on them myself, but Tesla's resistance to "outsiders" repairing them makes the warranty all that more valuable as the repair costs remain very high.

Might be an option...

Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Don't buy a used Tesla. Without the warranty it's not even a gamble it's just a bad idea. Buy new. Even in warranty Tesla has a horrendous reputation and outside if warranty you're just paying too much for the same bad service.
I see the latest round of changes, from eliminating photos to the warranty slashing as a sign they just want to GTFO of the used car biz.

Reactions: AMPd
I see the latest round of changes, from eliminating photos to the warranty slashing as a sign they just want to GTFO of the used car biz.

Then they should just do it already instead of choosing to downgrade the program and, therefore, the overall brand. Some people may want to dip their toe into the Tesla world by starting with a used car but if that experience is viewed as subpar, they may never want to consider a new one down the road.

I'm pondering getting another used Model S, but Tesla just keeps putting out signals to stay away. I don't know who is buying at the current prices, but to me they need a $10k price cut across the board to even considering buying one with no photos and a crappy 1 year warranty.

Better than a new warranty but without knowing the actual in service date it may have already been in service for close to a year. If so it might only be just a bit better, still a good deal as long as it has no damage which they don’t let you see first which is the sketchy part of their used cars.

It shows on the page that actual dates you have the warranty until. Sep 2024 for basic warranty + 1 year over that.

Screenshot was taken this month and it shows warranty expiring in Sep 2024.

BTW you can actually see the in service date. It's in the page source code.

To be fair offering 4 years of almost bumper to bumper warranty on CPO was excessively good.

As nothing about Tesla's customer relations and service is excessively good (or even really, 'good') nowadays, it makes sense that they brought that down to a below-average level.

BMW, Audi, and Benz also offer 1 year (on top of factory) CPO warranties but none of them limit it to 10,000 miles, which is honestly very low.

Porsche offers 2 years. (TBH I think Porsche is the best car brand overall. Can't really name an area where they're worse than average, other than their prices)

Of course apart from (now) being below par on CPO warranty terms, Tesla's CPO and service sucks for plenty of other reasons:

1. CPO cars not really being reconditioned to the extent that other automakers recondition theirs
2. Not being able to see the actual car you're going to buy until you put down a deposit. You won't even be shown pictures... really if this doesn't kill it for you I don't know what will. I was once sold by Tesla a $70,000 car that had way more visual (scratches, stains), audio (creaks, wind noise), battery (the car had 25 percent less range than advertised), and performance (the car's 0-60 time was 25 percent less than advertised) issues than I could count. They did not let me see the car.

Other automakers (well, dealerships) will let you look at the car, will take pictures for you, etc. A while ago I bought a Mercedes from a BMW dealer, and had the car salesman drive the car to a Mercedes dealership so they could perform a pre-purchase inspection (because I didn't have the time to do it). Compare this to putting down a deposit to commit to purchasing a car that even lacks pictures.

3. Literally never being able to talk to anybody on the phone to schedule service, or really, have a conversation about anything. This will _never_ happen to you with any other automaker.

4. The only place where you can schedule service being buggy

5. Depending on your area, potentially having to wait weeks and weeks and weeks for service. I am sure some other dealerships etc. have busy times also, but my Tesla has literally been the very only place where I had to wait for weeks for service. Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. have always scheduled me in the same week.

6. Getting a hilarious Uber Credit instead of a loaner (where I live). It used to be that we only got Teslas as loaners. Then they switched to giving out gas cars. Then finally they switched to Uber Credit. I'm sure in a while they'll change to Uber Pool or take it away completely at this point. I haven't had an experience with any other luxury dealer where I wasn't given a loaner (and always that brand's cars, too)

The last few points are obviously the result of Tesla not scaling up their service business to the extent that they sold Model 3's, as it all went downhill since then. This should also mean that they could fix it in the future but somehow I doubt it.

Hopefully in the future there are more EGs or similar. Right now the closest one to me is in NH and that's an 8 hour drive with no traffic or stops. I am pulling for them to succeed. The fact that they opened a second location in FL already is promising that this cottage industry will start to boom. Disgruntled, overworked Tesla techs may also jump ship to these private companies for better working conditions.

With all these changes, my sentiments sadly have come to a complete lack of confidence in this brand. At this point, I will never own another Tesla after my current car's warranty expires, and will actively push people away from the brand unless it gets dramatically better.

Really waiting for the day where Toyota gets their competitively specced EVs on the market.

On the flip side, it should push up resale price of privately owned vehicles. At least, you can see the vehicle and you can even see the vehicle service history. Since there's no meaningful difference in warranty anyway, one would be better off buying from a private party.

Here is an excellent example... :cool:

Luxury CPO Programs
1) Porsche
Warranty: Two-year/unlimited-miles warranty coverage after the expiration of the new-vehicle limited warranty or from the date of sale, if the new-vehicle limited warranty has expired. Porsche says the scope of this warranty is at the same level as a new-car warranty. To make the cut: The vehicle has to be less than 8 years old (up to 5 years old for leased vehicles) and have less than 100,000 miles for purchased vehicles. It's subject to a 111-point inspection.
Extras:
Roadside assistance: same as warranty length
No deductible for warranty repairs
Transferable to private-party buyer

Edmunds says: Porsche's CPO warranty is pretty similar to that offered by most luxury brands, with six years of coverage for most vehicle components starting at the original date of purchase. Should there be no factory warranty left, you'll get two years and unlimited miles of coverage. Porsche stands out by certifying cars that are as old as 8 years, meaning you can get a reasonably old car with a two-year Porsche warranty. This coverage becomes even more appealing when you realize that the mileage of Porsche sports cars tends to be much lower than average.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BigNick
On the flip side, it should push up resale price of privately owned vehicles. At least, you can see the vehicle and you can even see the vehicle service history. Since there's no meaningful difference in warranty anyway, one would be better off buying from a private party.

This is my take, too. Good for private owner sales.

But Wondering how it plays out and how long it takes for the changes to get priced in. If used car prices respond appropriately (their prices fall) then lease returns are less valuable, and lease pricing will increase. Leases represent about a 1/3 of new car transactions, so it can’t be good.

Looks to me like Tesla is bringing their used car warranty in line with others.

BMW Certified: Covers you for 1 year with unlimited vehicle miles, after the expiration of the 4-year / 50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (Valid only in the U.S.A. including Puerto Rico) for a total of 5 years / Unlimited vehicle miles. 5 years of BMW Roadside Assistance is included. Additional plans are available to extend your vehicle’s coverage up to a total of 6 years with unlimited miles. (source: BMW Certified Warranty – BMW Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles)

Don't miss the not covered page -

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

The BMW Certified Pre-Owned Protection Plan provides specific coverage against defects in materials and workmanship. There are various items that are not covered by this warranty for enrolled vehicles retailed on or after September 1, 2017.

Vehicle Maintenance

Brake pads and rotors (discs), brake shoes and drums; filters; fluid replacement of a component by itself; scheduled maintenance services; spark plugs; wiper blade inserts, blade assemblies/beams.

Upkeep

Adjustments; batteries (as a stand-alone repair); driveshaft flex disc (guibo coupling); engine drive belts; exhaust systems (including the gasoline engine catalytic converters, and the diesel engine “SCR” catalytic converter and particulate filter); flywheel, ring gear and clutch disc contact area; fuses; manual and “SMG” transmission clutch assemblies; oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolant (except as required in the course of performing a covered repair); rubber engine and heater coolant hoses, vacuum hoses (including clamps and connectors); tires; tire balancing and rotation; wheel alignment.

Suspension

Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs); control arms and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers (dampers); tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves; trailing arms, thrust struts; wishbones.

Body

Air leaks; body carriers, cross members, supports, braces and mounts; body panels, body shell, walls, partitions and chassis sheet metal; body noises, squeaks and rattles; body seals and gaskets; bulbs - incandescent, Xenon and LEDs; convertible top (except for electrical/electronic components); damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination; door brakes and checks; door handles and carriers (except for electrical/electronic components); exterior moulding, trim and fasteners; gas pressurized springs/struts; glass - side, sliding roof, rear and mirrors (except for electrical/electronic components); latch and lock mechanisms and their related components (except for electrical/electronic components); paint finish; water leaks; wheels and valve stems (except for electrical/electronic components); windscreen (including the sliding roof); windshield (except for the front rain sensor); wind noises.

Interior

Bulbs – incandescent and LEDs (except for the instrument cluster); carpeting; floor and trunk mats; headliner/sliding roof liner panel; interior noises, squeaks and rattles; interior dashboards, consoles, panels, covers, vents, grills, trims and fasteners (except cup holders); seatbelt extender arm assembly (except for electrical/electronic components); sunblinds (except for electrical/electronic components); sun visors (except for electrical/electronic components); upholstery (except for seat heating elements and seat occupancy sensor mat).

Accessories (Standard and Optional)

All non-original equipment parts, components and accessories.
I love our Teslas because of the powerful electric drives but the service and warranty is definitely not up to BMW standards. I have a few BMW’s as well as a few Teslas and the new BMW warranty is far better than Teslas. Bmw covers virtually any defect. Tesla doesn’t cover squeaks or rattles, wear to seats or trim and often says they can’t duplicate the issue. BMW always has quick availability of appointments and current year BMW loaners and really works hard to earn the business. We may just have an excellent dealer but we have had the same great service at a couple other BMW dealers.

I love our Teslas because of the powerful electric drives but the service and warranty is definitely not up to BMW standards. I have a few BMW’s as well as a few Teslas and the new BMW warranty is far better than Teslas. Bmw covers virtually any defect. Tesla doesn’t cover squeaks or rattles, wear to seats or trim and often says they can’t duplicate the issue. BMW always has quick availability of appointments and current year BMW loaners and really works hard to earn the business. We may just have an excellent dealer but we have had the same great service at a couple other BMW dealers.
Not my experience wit BMW at all. We had two and both were service nightmares with very expensive things that should have been covered but weren’t. My last words to the stealer were * you, I’m buying a Tesla for my next car. And I did. Never again, BMW. The cars appear to be made to survive no longer than the lease. My tow truck driver would just shake his head when he saw me... “BMW...”

Also we have gone 10 months with the Model S and 5 with the Model Y and no new tires due to blowouts or goose eggs. Remarkable.

We've owned our 2014 model S for somewhat over 4 years now. we bought it third party so didn't have their CPO warranty, but did have some of the original warranty. Frankly, Tesla has been pretty good about covering things. I've got over 220,000 miles on the car, and still got a comped air suspension pump last time I had it in for service. (apparently it was an old style that they had been updating but somehow my vehicle got missed) but I do think service is abysmal compared to what it was before. But I thought it was an exceptional before.

I think the main reason that they've done this change is because they can't keep the crazy cars in stock. But I do think they went too far! They should have just dropped to a 2-year warranty, and maybe a 1 year for those with high mileage.

I'm also wondering if the possibility exists that they're about to do a price drop across the board for new cars. If they do that on the new cars then these used cars become even less valuable. Maybe prepping for that change?

as to pricing the used cars it is a calculated event. Automatically reducing over time. So, they just let it drop until the demand goes back up. if the cars do end up being 5,000 less, that might actually increase the sales of used vehicles. I've certainly not had 5,000 in repairs the entire time I've owned the car, even with the 220k miles.