Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2017 S, I used to be able to have the “auto wipers beta” option turned off and then I could use my delay wiper options like normal “dumb delay” where they are simply a timed wiper.

Now even with auto turned off, my delay wipers act as if they are auto wipers and don’t activate as often as they should. It’s like the setting is ignored. I also tried turning on auto and they didn’t work even if the windshield was full of raindrops. Tesla definitely screwed up the auto wipers config on 11.4.7.2 (and maybe even 11.4.7). I also cleaned the windshield and did a reboot with no improvement.

Now even with auto turned off, my delay wipers act as if they are auto wipers and don’t activate as often as they should. It’s like the setting is ignored. I also tried turning on auto and they didn’t work even if the windshield was full of raindrops. Tesla definitely screwed up the auto wipers config on 11.4.7.2 (and maybe even 11.4.7). I also cleaned the windshield and did a reboot with no improvement.
Agree 100%.

I assume you know that when autopilot or FSDb is on, the wipers change back to auto.

I also cleaned the windshield
There's one more step to try: thoroughly clean the top portion of the passenger-side wiper. Or replace it.

Agree 100%.

I assume you know that when autopilot or FSDb is on, the wipers change back to auto.

There's one more step to try: thoroughly clean the top portion of the passenger-side wiper. Or replace it.
Yes thanks. On my MS, FSDb doesn’t change the auto setting (at least it hasn’t until now.). I also turned off FSD but wipers work the same way.

The wiper blades are less than a year old and wipe well. Also have HW3 cameras. Hoping a future update at least sets the wiper functionality back to the way it was.

Wipers are going on when approaching white LED street lights. Super annoying. Maybe it's the stripes / halo. The misbehavior is consistent

2023-10-15 22_31_18-2023-10-15_21-21-51-front.mp4 - VLC media player.png

My wipers are awful they run intermittently on a clear day with no rain very annoying. I'm running HW3 11.4.7.2 and I'm also getting an automatic parking unavailable notification every time the car stops. I've talked to service, and they are blaming it on the software.

I am almost convinced now that Tesla is using weather data for some enthusiastic false wipes.
Whenever there is a grey day with chance of rain, bit bone dry I get a false wipe.
e.g. opening my garage door, going in drive -> wipe
Without question, this is what’s happening. Almost all of the false wipes, not all, but almost all, happen when there is rain on the radar somewhere within 50 miles of me. But it could still be sunny when it happens. I guess the good news is that they’re working on some kind of AI weather thing. But the bad news is it’s terrible. It’s just staggeringly awful. It’s so bad it’s hard to believe.

I guess the good news is that they’re working on some kind of AI weather thing. But the bad news is it’s terrible. It’s just staggeringly awful. It’s so bad it’s hard to believe.
I find it super dangerous for Hertz to still rent Tesla's to first time Tesla drivers. Imagine you are driving, starting to rain, and have to figure for the first time why car is not wipe. At least owners do know the button trick or can find wipers under 5 minutes in the menu

Reactions: Dracaris
I am running on 11.4.7.3, the latest FSB Beta software and I can honestly say this Auto Wiper software is the worst Auto Wiper I have used in the 20+ cars I have owned. It is not raining, just cloudy, and after the 5th, dry wipe I turned off my wipers, as usual. I need to replace my wipers but I refuse to because they will be ruined within the first week. How is this not a major priority and something easily fixed.. People have been complaining about the wipers since I bought my Model Y in March of 2021. I just don't understand why it is still an issue and not only that it keeps getting worse.

I am running on 11.4.7.3, the latest FSB Beta software and I can honestly say this Auto Wiper software is the worst Auto Wiper I have used in the 20+ cars I have owned. It is not raining, just cloudy, and after the 5th, dry wipe I turned off my wipers, as usual. I need to replace my wipers but I refuse to because they will be ruined within the first week. How is this not a major priority and something easily fixed.. People have been complaining about the wipers since I bought my Model Y in March of 2021. I just don't understand why it is still an issue and not only that it keeps getting worse.
These last couple software versions have been exceptionally bad.

Not a raindrop in the sky today, and my wipers were dry wiping every so often throughout 3+ hours in the car. Of course, when it does it actually rain, the wipers won’t turn on until my entire windshield is impossible to see out of. Or maybe they will turn on. And then stop. Who knows. I truly don’t understand how it can be this bad, and why they don’t fix it. It’s quite remarkable.

I can't use FSDb at night because of the wipers. Living in Arizona, I have considered just removing the wipers and putting them in the frunk until a functional update arrives.

Caution, removing the wipers will disable the closing of the back hatch so the car won't drive.

/s

(based on the fact a burned out puddle light disables the window drop on open/close when you open the door. Welcome to a car where everything is interconnected and you can't use it easily with a burned out bulb for a feature that has absolutely nothing to with safety. Ironically, I hear that I can drive the car just fine with a burned out headlamp but if I burn out the puddle light bulb, getting in and out of my car ceases to be an automatic motion.)

(based on the fact a burned out puddle light disables the window drop on open/close when you open the door. Welcome to a car where everything is interconnected and you can't use it easily with a burned out bulb for a feature that has absolutely nothing to with safety. Ironically, I hear that I can drive the car just fine with a burned out headlamp but if I burn out the puddle light bulb, getting in and out of my car ceases to be an automatic motion.)
A more reasonable explanation would be that the power for the mechanism responsible for the open/close window motion also fed power to the puddle light. The puddle light was just a symptom.

Reactions: JB47394