Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably unrelated, but I had a much worse event today. The entire audio stack failed to initialize, including turn signals, AP, phone, and entertainment. Rebooting a few times didn’t fix it. It stayed disabled during the duration of the 45 min drive, but initialized correctly when I left and got back into the car.

Did you see a "Loading..." spinner?

Stuck with "Loading..." spinner?

Add me to the list. About once every 5-20 minutes. I'm almost always listening to podcasts over bluetooth (iPhone X). Audio cuts out with static. No turn signals. The podcast shows as paused on my phone. After about 10 seconds, the podcast starts playing again. I'll start doing the bug report thing now that I know about it. I'll try another reboot too.

Did you see a "Loading..." spinner?

Stuck with "Loading..." spinner?

Yes, that screen was one of a few. I could change sources and each one failed differently. The phone source gave you a play/pause button that did nothing when clicked, but would reflect the state of the phone when operated directly. The fm tuner wouldn’t accept a frequency selection from the list, but would allow access to the manual entry screen, which could be typed into, but not selected. It seemed that every action that would trigger an audio event could not be performed.

I'm on V9 (2018.39.7 9736c9b) and I've been experiencing intermittent audio glitches ever since.

The entire audio stack cut out (usually with some static distortion as it cuts out -- think of someone pulling a 3.5mm out of a jack while actively playing off that input, that's sort of what it sounds like). I do not think this is a bluetooth issue because when I say the entire audio stack cuts out, I mean it. Turn signal and other auditory indicators are also affected.

It usually comes back on its own in ~10-15 seconds, but there was one instance where it didn't come back for about a minute. My remotely educated guess here is that whatever daemon they are using to serve the sound (going to guess PulseAudio) is crashing/segfaulting and the init system is restarting the process. Again, this is pure speculation.

Has anybody else experienced this? I've tried a soft reboot so far, not a hard reboot (though I doubt it will help, seems to be a bug in this release).

FWIW, I'm using an iPhone X (haven't tried repairing yet, though again doubt that will help as I suspect it's an issue with the system's audio stack not the bluetooth stack). Have also experienced this with a friend's phone connected and playing audio (also an iPhone X).

(have also submitted a bug report via voice control)

Experiencing the same on 42.4. I did not have this issue before v9, and I think it's also causing the blinker sound to skip a time or two. I haven't experienced it enough times when using my blinkers to confirm that, though.

Probably unrelated, but I had a much worse event today. The entire audio stack failed to initialize, including turn signals, AP, phone, and entertainment. Rebooting a few times didn’t fix it. It stayed disabled during the duration of the 45 min drive, but initialized correctly when I left and got back into the car.
Had this today. Zero sound from anything. Rebooted twice and nothing. Worked later when I got in.

I'm also having this exact same issue on 42.2. I never had it before with previous versions. Streaming music from my phone using Google Play Music. Audio stops, and static exactly like an audio jack was pulled out slowly. Then it will come back. It happens randomly.

Android v9 (Oreo) over Bluetooth.

I'd like to suggest that everyone having this issue go to Tesla.com and report the issue. Make sure you check the option for "Escalate this concern for executive review". So, tesla.com, login to your account, click "Manage" under your vehicle, then click "Ask a question". I just did that and pasted the link for this thread and one other related thread.

I had a visit to the SC 2 weeks ago on 42.2 and complained about this. They copped out of researching it because there's a Reus system after the factory amp...classic service BS. Since then, prob put in 50-60 bug reports. All of you who reported should do the same.

Exact same problem though...seems to be exponentially worse/more frequent when I have nav on as well. No amount of restarts/whole power offs have solved the issue. Some good days, some days I turn the music off entirely.

No question it's a software issue, but I've been somewhat concerned that the v9 update pushed the MCU1 to its limit and it's just struggling to keep up or there's a memory leak in the new code.

Instead of praying for snow (California here), praying for clean, crisp audio again :)

Something else I noticed when trying to reboot the screen in an attempt to fix this:

Headlights set for auto-dim the high beams go into high beam mode during the reboot.
So I am blasting oncoming traffic with hi-beams until the screen finishes rebooting.
Must remember to pull back on the stalk to turn off the high beams while rebooting the screen.

I'd like to suggest that everyone having this issue go to Tesla.com and report the issue. Make sure you check the option for "Escalate this concern for executive review". So, tesla.com, login to your account, click "Manage" under your vehicle, then click "Ask a question". I just did that and pasted the link for this thread and one other related thread.
Good idea

This wonderful little bug reared its head for me yesterday on 42.3. Beyond the annoyance of not having music (first world problems), lack of a turn signal is disorienting and the fact that I won't be able to hear any Autopilot alerts or things like the AEB alarm going off makes the car feel less safe.

Soft reboot and then a hard reboot is a temporary fix but pulling over to the side of the road and doing all that is annoying and can be dangerous on its own.

It may or may not be related, but is anyone else having trouble with map tiles (particularly along the route you're on) loading?

Are you other guys who are experiencing the audio drop out using the dashcam? For me, with the dashcam running I get it sometimes. With Nav on AP It is constant and unbearable. Pulling the dashcam's USB drive and it goes away though.

Are you other guys who are experiencing the audio drop out using the dashcam? For me, with the dashcam running I get it sometimes. With Nav on AP It is constant and unbearable. Pulling the dashcam's USB drive and it goes away though.

No dashcam. I do, however, dock my phone to charge it most of the time. I'll try a few times w/o docking and see if I have the problem

Yeah, I started using Dashcam with v9 and then this problem started happening. I will try running without Dashcam flash for a while and see if the problem goes away.

Happening to me as well, both on my iPhone 8 and my Google Pixel 3XL. Hadn't noticed that the turn signals were muted at the same time, will have to try that. Soft reboot hasn't fixed the problem, haven't tried hard reboot yet.

Submitted report on the Tesla web page.

Keith