Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have VIN 131XX (Blue, Aero) for pickup tomorrow in Fremont (assigned last week).
Anything I should be worried about?

Edit: seems low given the VIN posted above is 20XXX
wow! I had 131xx but then my vin disappeared and I got 90xx instead. Now my car is in the SC fixing panel gaps (picked up two weeks ago) I’m sure it will be fine, but definately bring the checklist.

Sorry no, but I know of no single car manufacturer who would paint the cars in the move. Programming the paint robots for a static object is difficult enough, you know...

And yet, that video clearly showed the cars moving while being painted.

0:38 the gap on the left of the hood is to the right of the line on the wall
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 7.44.30 AM.png

0:42 the gap is now to the left
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 7.44.40 AM.png

You can easily see the movement if you open those images in separate tabs in your browser then alternate between those two tabs.

Last edited:
And yet, that video clearly showed the cars moving while being painted.

0:38 the gap on the left of the hood is to the right of the line on the wall
View attachment 296891

0:42 the gap is now to the left
View attachment 296892

You can easily see the movement if you open those images in separate tabs in your browser then alternate between those two tabs.
Painting the car on the move probably isn't as difficult as it initially sounds. The movement will be linear and slow. The robots are on a linear rail so they can match speed to the car.

Total guess since the only "robot" work I've done is building and running a 3D printer, but I'd say they programmed the robots sitting still, then added a linear motion along the rail to them after the paint movements were ironed out. I'm not sure if these expensive robots work on g-code, but it would be pretty trivial to add a linear motion along another axis to g-code designed for the rest of the motions.

Not trying to suggest anyone that commented doesn't know what they're talking about, but there's an amusing XKCD that illustrates that sometimes the reasons why task is or is not difficult isn't always obvious.

Reactions: Oldman
Configured 4/10/18
VIN assigned: 4/25/18
VIN 197XX
Red Aero
No call yet but i'm most likely assigned to fremont. SF bay area

Ordered in Denver 3/31/16 around 1:15pm
Invited & Configured: 4/6/18
VIN just assigned 129xx
Red Aero
YAY!

Fascinating. Configured a few days apart, both Red/Aero, got VINs on the same day that are wildly different. I think we can probably safely say that low VINs have little to do with build date. As a fellow Red/Aero configuration I'm super jealous of you both!

Reactions: RenMan68