Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's definitely not pure profit, a common misconception with software. R&D efforts are probably in the hundreds of millions, ongoing support and updates, cameras (installed even if not in use), etc.

If I were Tesla right now I would priority base off margin though, so you're right, it's possible they're pushing out cars ahead of you that have EAP enabled.
Tesla won’t put less money into autopilot just because ten people choose not to buy autopilot to there car. So they don’t have 100% profit on autopilot but they will have $5000 more profit if someone choose to buy autopilot to there car.

The point is that no matter how many people opt for the software, the cost to Tesla is the same- i.e. the salaries of the programmers. Installing it (or not) in a car is a matter of setting the 'install flag' to 0 or 1 for a given car which is a negligible cost. The more people who pay the $5K for it the faster the fixed programming cost is amortized. Call it whatever you want- revenue/profit/etc. it's a huge advantage to the company to have customers pay the $5K and they might want to incentivize customers to buy it by 'bundling it' with faster delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3 and IdaX
Los Angeles
Non-owner
Reserved 3/31/16 7:45PM Pre-reveal
Invited/configured 4/6
VIN received 4/30
VIN number 17xxx
White/Aero/EAP
Delivery Scheduled 5/10 but I requested it moved to 5/12

Is there a way to follow or friend my "twinsies"? ie I've seen a few people here who's got the exact config as I have with 17xxx VINs. I'd like to follow their posts and monitor issues they might get in the future.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Almost all the VINs today are from 19xxx, in the gap that people noticed last week between ~185xx-198xx. These look like they are all 18" aero wheels. Hopefully this is a sign that Tesla is finishing up this range of VINs with 18" wheels, and will move up to higher VINs next.

upload_2018-5-2_9-31-50.png

Edit, a better visualization

upload_2018-5-2_9-48-25.png

Last edited:
UZJedi, did you get autopilot? I'm wondering if I'm being penalized somewhat for not ordering it (I mean, it is $5k in pure profit, so I would understand)

I got 4/6 invite/config, red/aero as well... still waiting for VIN. Maybe delivery location is another consideration.
No autopilot. But I am in Washington. Looks like they are trying to deliver before the state sales tax exemption for EVs runs out at the end of the month.

• Informative
Reactions: tebling
Non-owner
Ordered: 3/31/2016 12:00p Atlanta, GA showroom
Invite: 04/10/2018
Configured: 04/11/2018 (MSM, Premium, 18", Autopilot)
No Financing
Trading my 2009 Audi A8 and haven't heard back on the trade-in process yet
No VIN yet
Has anyone seen trade-ins getting lower priority?

Non-owner
Ordered: 3/31/2016 12:00p Atlanta, GA showroom
Invite: 04/10/2018
Configured: 04/11/2018 (MSM, Premium, 18", Autopilot)
No Financing
Trading my 2009 Audi A8 and haven't heard back on the trade-in process yet
No VIN yet
Has anyone seen trade-ins getting lower priority?
I wondered about that. I configured on 4/8 and specified a trade-in. Probably not going to trade-in but I wanted the option. Now I am second-guessing that decision. I certainly have not been contacted about any trade-in.

I wondered about that. I configured on 4/8 and specified a trade-in. Probably not going to trade-in but I wanted the option. Now I am second-guessing that decision. I certainly have not been contacted about any trade-in.

Hmm, I had the same trade-in option. Honestly, I hadn't thought of trade-in to be a factor for assigning a VIN and moving ahead. Just went in to my Tesla account and removed the "trade-in" option.

Now, 4/5 steps marked "Complete" - just waiting to get a VIN so I can initiate the funding step.

Reactions: RenMan68
Got my VIN assigned today. Sometime between 8:00 AM and 9:15 AM ;)

3/31 - Day 1 line waiter, Bellevue, WA
Invite - 4/10
Config - 4/10 - Red, Aero
VIN # - 191xx
Delivery - Not known yet

That means there is a good chance of delivery within this month - which allows me to buy the car before Sales Exemption expires in WA at the end of May.

Got the email from ISA today. That was fast. Likely delivery on 5/11.

Reactions: UZJedi and RenMan68