Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the average Wh/mi you are getting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Bolt is more sensitive to higher speeds than the 3. Conversely, if you drive it under 55 you get better range than the EPA. Like you (Randy) living in Southern CA who the hell drives at 55 unless they want to get run over by a truck or semi? It is even hard to hold to 75 that I try to do as everyone is going 80 to 85 when they can. Of course when you hit traffic it is crawl along time.

~2800 miles and sitting at 207 wh/mi.
aeros, normal Regen, normal acceleration
I did a 180 mile trip this past weekend, mostly highway, top speed 80, but lots of heavy traffic and stop and go as well. got 202 wh/mi on that trip. Could have gone 370+ miles if I had done it again.
Biggest tricks are being an ex-LEAF driver I am used to "coasting" whenever reasonable, and NOT using EAP in heavy traffic. It is HORRIBLY inefficient at stop and go driving with wild speed variation.

Last edited:
Reactions: suwaneedad
Not a milestone (pun intended) but entertaining to see. Driving from Beatty, NV to Lone Pine, CA - this, after the downhill (several 1000 ft) from Beatty to Scotty's Castle in Death Valley... and was driving like a bat out of hell.
Scotty.jpg

Definitely going to be an outlier here at just under 7000 miles since January with an average Wh/m of 308. I have the aero covers on, but I tend to use the acceleration quite a bit, have TACC set to +9 which translates to 79mph most of the time, and a lot of that driving was done in winter months with quite cold weather. The average has been rapidly improving over the summer, didn't check what it was right after winter, but a month ago it was 340. Recent trips seem to average in the 260 range, and I have a couple trips coming up on non-interstate so it will be slower and I bet that brings my average below 300.

6,000 miles in less than 2 months, loaded down road trips, heavy foot, big grin, 266 wh/mi, it was starting to drop a tiny bit but just took a 2,100 mile trip with 4 people and luggage to nor cal and all around sight seeing with a 270 average for the trip
This is a really great post IMO, because it highlights the fact that driving Model 3 in a 'spirited' way, and doing so even at highway speeds and fully loaded, still produces a remarkable efficiency achievement (266). Your post is a great reminder to Just Drive the Car and enjoy.

I'm 3 months in, 5500mi including 3 road trips one of which was fully loaded...4 adults and all baggage for a week at the beach...and I generally drive 9 over the speed limit. Roughly 4k of the 5500 miles were highway, the rest arterial ~45mph roads around ATL. I have 264wh/mi thus far. When I compare that to my 2012 LEAF, which is generally around 250wi/mi, it's incredible how efficient the Model 3 is. I feel like I'm driving an electric miracle each day.

I'm at 253 wh/mi after about 4K miles with Aeros. I do about 80% surface street driving at 30-50 MPH or less with a lot of short trips and stop-and-go at street lights. The rest is 75-80 MPH freeway driving. The AC runs almost all the time. I drive "spirited" also and don't make any effort to conserve range.

We'll keep in mind that where I live there are also speed cameras everywhere that mail you tickets so it's made me paranoid over time with driving over the speed limit. I think it would be more representative for me after a few thousand miles.

Yikes, I couldn't do it, I like driving too much :D I once got 3 speed camera tickets from one trip to Germany, 2 of them within 10 minutes of each other.

We're doing about 260Wh over the past week of ownership on our 3, maybe 400 miles, both my wife and I drive relatively quickly, I guess. Bay Area commute is lots of 75-85mph work with blasts near triple digits to get around slower moving traffic that insists on camping at 65 in the left lane. Not much slow-and-go traffic so we don't get a lot of regen, we just leave the climate control on auto so I guess the compressor is always running.

ZmGc4BUoRxqMBeDFqAlcNg.jpg
This is a really great post IMO, because it highlights the fact that driving Model 3 in a 'spirited' way, and doing so even at highway speeds and fully loaded, still produces a remarkable efficiency achievement (266). Your post is a great reminder to Just Drive the Car and enjoy.

I'm 3 months in, 5500mi including 3 road trips one of which was fully loaded...4 adults and all baggage for a week at the beach...and I generally drive 9 over the speed limit. Roughly 4k of the 5500 miles were highway, the rest arterial ~45mph roads around ATL. I have 264wh/mi thus far. When I compare that to my 2012 LEAF, which is generally around 250wi/mi, it's incredible how efficient the Model 3 is. I feel like I'm driving an electric miracle each day.

Lifetime keeps dropping, at over 12K miles and currently at 253 as compared to 266 at 6K miles driven, still driving the same, I think this is due to my wife putting more local trips at 210-220 and the tires becoming more efficient due to wear View attachment 341654

Reactions: suwaneedad
The 3 is at about 245Wh/mile lifetime, but DW and i have really different driving styles. My guess is that she's around 275Wh/mile and I'm below 200Wh/mile. My last two round trip commutes have been around 175Wh/mile, and that's cruising at 60-65mph and passing at 70+mph. My guess is 55mph would result in 150+ When/mile, but I'll try some 55mph runs in the right lane to confirm if I can get to work early enough.