Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the average Wh/mi you are getting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first two weeks, I was under 200Wh/Mi, but I was doing a lot of crawling around town. I did remove my Aero caps at the delivery center, and despite promises to myself have NEVER actually put them back on before road trips. I am pretty much a passenger in the car, when I pull out of the light I hand control to the AutoPilot. So the way IT drives I am averaging 245 after 15000 miles. If I was doing more city driving I am sure it would be less. It takes a lot of power to go 75-80, but I am on the West Coast, that's just how fast we drive the interstate.

I was disappointed when I tried to drive at city speeds on the back roads from LA to SF recently and didn't manage to get any better MPG than I could while driving the limit on Hwy 5. I have been enjoying the car's ability to draft behind a semi to get a little bit better mileage w/o much effort, always so scary doing that in my Insight for hours on end.

-Randy

I was getting 256 wh/mile this summer with Aeros off. Commute is about 18 miles each way and around 90% highway speed (75mph). I do stomp as often as I feel like it...

I am now getting 326 wh/mile with the dropping temperature. Temps are at a shade under 50 oF and inching towards freezing.

I Autopilot as much as I can also. Tires are checked weekly to 45 PSI. Almost 5000 miles on the odometer.

Last edited:
Just hit the magic 5000 mile mark so I thought I would share my stats. Mix of city commute and weekly highway trips from Green Bay, WI to Milwaukee, WI (240 mile round trip @ 75 mph).
2018 Model 3 LR, AWD, Aero wheels
11/20/18 - 3/4/19
1716 kWh
343 Wh/mi
IMG_20190304_172241_01.jpg

Just hit the magic 5000 mile mark so I thought I would share my stats. Mix of city commute and weekly highway trips from Green Bay, WI to Milwaukee, WI (240 mile round trip @ 75 mph).
2018 Model 3 LR, AWD, Aero wheels
11/20/18 - 3/4/19
1716 kWh
343 Wh/miView attachment 382985

Yikes. Hopefully those numbers improve for you greatly when it warms up!!! Thanks for sharing though! I wasn’t happy with my 275 wh/mi with my RWD LR

Thanks to those who list their trims...as I understand it, Wh/mi aren’t really comparable across trims. AWD will necessarily have a higher Wh/mi than a LR RWD, for example, given the decreased efficiency of the second motor, weight of the second motor, etc. So is helpful when folks list their trims so can compare apples to apples. (Or at least know how much the apples and oranges differ.)

Man, I thought I was doing well with 248 after 25K. But I just let the car do most of the driving so that probably has a lot to do with it, the car drives a little herkey-jerky when it isn't sure what to do. Now that I am driving in snow I have seen individual trips that never get below 300 wh/mi so I am falling behind on those of you closer to 200. Congrats

-Randy

Yea short trips in cold weather are killers to Wh/m. It is hard for me to get below 300. I have a short 3 mile trip to the gym and back and cold weather makes my average Wh/m creep up. When I take a longer trip of at least ten miles the Wh/m will fall back in the 230-240 range even in cold weather.

My Lifetime was 236 in the fall but has crept up to 243 during the winter. LR RWD.

I have noticed something strange.. My lifetime results (over 3k miles of driving so far) is 294 on my Model 3P. Thats not the strange thing. I was averaging around 310, but took the car into the service center because it would not charge to 310 total (still doesnt). I wanted the service center to check the battery since when I charge to 100% I have yet to see 310... only 306.

Anyway, they told me "nothings wrong" and "we did a full battery diagnostic". I said ok, and picked up the car. Since that visit, I am getting SIGNIFICANTLY better results. My car is my commuter car that I drive in the same basic manner, from home to work each day ... 75 mile round trip.

Now, I am seening 230-260 results, driving the exact same way... and have seen as low as 195.

I have been driving the same way, with the same lack of use of climate control (its off). The weather has been a bit warmer, but my car is garaged, pre climate control warmed before I leave home, etc. Is it possible something the Service center did when they "did the full battery diagnostic" reset something?

This new electricity usage has been consistently lower since the SC visit, over a period of about 2 weeks of commuting now, so I am not imagining it. It could be the warmer weather, but its Temecula to San Diego. No snow, no "real" cold weather compared to others.

I have noticed something strange.. My lifetime results (over 3k miles of driving so far) is 294 on my Model 3P. Thats not the strange thing. I was averaging around 310, but took the car into the service center because it would not charge to 310 total (still doesnt). I wanted the service center to check the battery since when I charge to 100% I have yet to see 310... only 306.

Anyway, they told me "nothings wrong" and "we did a full battery diagnostic". I said ok, and picked up the car. Since that visit, I am getting SIGNIFICANTLY better results. My car is my commuter car that I drive in the same basic manner, from home to work each day ... 75 mile round trip.

Now, I am seening 230-260 results, driving the exact same way... and have seen as low as 195.

I have been driving the same way, with the same lack of use of climate control (its off). The weather has been a bit warmer, but my car is garaged, pre climate control warmed before I leave home, etc. Is it possible something the Service center did when they "did the full battery diagnostic" reset something?

This new electricity usage has been consistently lower since the SC visit, over a period of about 2 weeks of commuting now, so I am not imagining it. It could be the warmer weather, but its Temecula to San Diego. No snow, no "real" cold weather compared to others.

It’s amazing how different the efficiency is at even 50 degrees vs something like 36 degrees