Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the front radar on HW2 cars located?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was trying to enable autopilot on my HW2 car (17.9.3) and I was getting on and off error "Reduced front radar visibility". We had a bit of snow in the area but not much. I looked in front of the car but I couldn't exactly locate where the front radar is. Are there any pictures showing the front radar on a HW2 car?

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken
But the fact that the forward radar does not work when it is snowing is classic California development. I have only around 2000 miles on my HW2 car and I have had three occasions in which my cruise control is completely disabled, so on a long trip, zero cruise control. At least on older cars you had the fall back of old fashion set your cruise at X. Now without forward radar, you get nothing.
no-cruise.JPG
no-cruise-front1.JPG

But the fact that the forward radar does not work when it is snowing is classic California development. I have only around 2000 miles on my HW2 car and I have had three occasions in which my cruise control is completely disabled, so on a long trip, zero cruise control. At least on older cars you had the fall back of old fashion set your cruise at X. Now without forward radar, you get nothing. View attachment 218562 View attachment 218563

I agree this is a poor design. They should enable standard cruise if the radar antenna is blocked. I also have 2000 miles on my HW2 vehicle and I find more and more how poor the design of many functions are. Why they use cameras for everything is beyond me. There is no reason they cant have a simple rain sensor for windshield wipers, etc. They reply on cameras to do everything which is why we still cant get automatic high beams to work also.

The reason why you can't use regular CC when radar is blocked is because, frankly, that would require someone at Tesla to use common sense.
It could be a conscious safety decision. They could be concerned users are so used to TACC that they will neglect to slow down when approaching a car in front and hence have an accident.

It could be a conscious safety decision. They could be concerned users are so used to TACC that they will neglect to slow down when approaching a car in front and hence have an accident.
I agree. On my previous car (an Audi) with ACC the same happened, no CC at all when the radar sensor was blocked by snow (which didnt happen very often since the sensor had a heating element).

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
I was thinking the same thing. I think Tesla deliberately does not enable standard CC if TACC is not available because owners used to TACC may forget that they are on standard CC and therefore think the car will behave in a way that it actually will not, with possible serious adverse consequences.

Reactions: malcolm
The reason why you can't use regular CC when radar is blocked is because, frankly, that would require someone at Tesla to use common sense.

Agree that it would be nice if normal cruise would work but also agree with above assumptions that some moron would forget they are on basic cruise and not brake.

You can always pull over and clear your bumper of snow to get radar back... but that would require someone driving to use common sense.

But the fact that the forward radar does not work when it is snowing is classic California development. I have only around 2000 miles on my HW2 car and I have had three occasions in which my cruise control is completely disabled, so on a long trip, zero cruise control. At least on older cars you had the fall back of old fashion set your cruise at X. Now without forward radar, you get nothing. View attachment 218562 View attachment 218563

I had the same problem 2 days ago driving during a snow shower. After stopping and wiping off the front bumper, it worked normally again. I was a little surprised at how little snow it took to disable the radar, similar to your photo.

I agree we should have the option of "dumb" cruise control when needed.

I think the "upgrade" from non-facelift to facelift S (or X) radar placement is purely cosmetic. My non-facelift radar has a heating element that automatically turns on when the outside temp. goes below 5 or 4 celcius. You can both see and feel it's working.

Same problem however: Enter some snowy mowie and you're out; it only clears the actual surface of the radar and perhaps a millimeter or so. The facelift MS / X is the same thing except the radar has no heater but is conceiled behind the thin metal sheet nose panel.

It'll probably be the same on M3

The same radar problem when ice accumulates on the front bumper will occur on other cars that use forward radar, no matter where they were designed. The radar really doesn't care. It has limitations.

True, but you need to solve the problem, either have a wiper on it, or a heater, or inflatable flex cover, aircraft have de-icing abilities for leading edges. Or let me set good old dumb cruise control when this occurs.

I think the "upgrade" from non-facelift to facelift S (or X) radar placement is purely cosmetic. My non-facelift radar has a heating element that automatically turns on when the outside temp. goes below 5 or 4 celcius. You can both see and feel it's working.

Same problem however: Enter some snowy mowie and you're out; it only clears the actual surface of the radar and perhaps a millimeter or so. The facelift MS / X is the same thing except the radar has no heater but is conceiled behind the thin metal sheet nose panel.

It'll probably be the same on M3

I disagree that it's cosmetic. On the old pre-facelift radar placement (which is also used in the Audi A3 that uses the same sensor) its concavity made it extra prone to large insects accumulating and getting stuck in the area, along with other forms of dirt / grime / debris. I do agree that the heating element worked better, but it's more of a huge oversight that the facelift bumper patch isn't heated. I think placing it behind a bumper section does have its benefits.